Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Originally Posted by alzo
Any Canadians on this forum applied for a visa to head to Australia?
My first question to you would be what part of Canada are you from. I lived for a number of years on Vancouver Island and all I can say is you stand a good chance of being very disappointed with australia. West coast Canada is heaven compared to here. I've come to realize weather isn't nearly as important as I thought. Can't comment on east coasters though, -40 can be a real motivator.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
My first question to you would be what part of Canada are you from. I lived for a number of years on Vancouver Island and all I can say is you stand a good chance of being very disappointed with australia. West coast Canada is heaven compared to here. I've come to realize weather isn't nearly as important as I thought. Can't comment on east coasters though, -40 can be a real motivator.
why would you suggest it would be dissapointing. I live 30 minutes from toronto in Pickering.

Side note: what's the equivalent to Tim Horton's???
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:45 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My first question to you would be where have you lived in Australia?

I'm not trying to trivialize the point you mad, because it is very true. Everyone needs to question why they are moving from Canada and what they hope to get out of Australia. Moving just for the weather might not cut it as Australia isn't really Canada with warmer weather. They are different countries and it's important to remember that.

However it's also important where you go to in Australia. If you are used to living in cities then rural Australia might not be for you (or it could be if you're up for a change). There are lots of different climates within Oz and many differences between cities and place to live.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

why would you suggest it would be dissapointing. I live 30 minutes from toronto in Pickering.

There is no place that I'm aware of that sells good cheap coffee and donuts. I quite like Gloria Jeans here but it is more along the lines of Second Cup I think. I don't drink coffee though so it's hard to compare.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

it's not the weather only...we do have family in both melbourne and brisbane so being closer to family would be nice. I also think we are up for a change...to try something while we still can and if it works out great...if it does not we always know we can come back home....to Timmy's

We have done our fair bit of travelling...loved vancouver island...it's a beautiful place...took the flying boats from vancouver to the island and it was fantastic...

Have a few friends in melbourne and the only complaint I have heard so far is that it's not close to anything...ie in terms of travel or vacation....other than that they all seem to be happy.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to open a Horton's style coffee shop here in Perth's northern 'burbs in the next 2 years. Not the Horton's now with all the extras, but just quick, inexpensive coffee and muffins/squares like they used to be 10 years ago.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm planning to open a Horton's style coffee shop here in Perth's northern 'burbs in the next 2 years. Not the Horton's now with all the extras, but just quick, inexpensive coffee and muffins/squares like they used to be 10 years ago.
If you could make me a sour cream glaze donut and a large double double I will be your first customer
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Tamara1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

4 years ago, yes. What do you want to know?
Hello Dorothy and Comet, I'm also from Canada.I presently live in Montreal and i really want to move to a warmer place. I'm seriously thinking about moving to Australia and am in the process of checking out the visas and stuff about work. I'm a med lab tech and apparently my job is in demand in Oz and i could get the state sponsored PR visa 176 (sponsored by NSW).
I was wondering if you have any info on this kind of visa and also, Dorothy, since youwork in a hospital, if you know or could find out, what the demand for med lab officers is there. Also, if you could get me in contact with a med lab tech that maybe you know from that hospital so i could ask some questions to them regarding the actual work there.
I would apprecate any info on those 2 subjects.
Thanks you in advance,
Tamara
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:37 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Tamara1973
Hello Dorothy and Comet, I'm also from Canada.I presently live in Montreal and i really want to move to a warmer place. I'm seriously thinking about moving to Australia and am in the process of checking out the visas and stuff about work. I'm a med lab tech and apparently my job is in demand in Oz and i could get the state sponsored PR visa 176 (sponsored by NSW).
I was wondering if you have any info on this kind of visa and also, Dorothy, since youwork in a hospital, if you know or could find out, what the demand for med lab officers is there. Also, if you could get me in contact with a med lab tech that maybe you know from that hospital so i could ask some questions to them regarding the actual work there.
Thanks you in advance,
Tamara
I live this one to you Dorothy as I don't really know as much about the 176 visa. I also don't know anything about the demand for lab techs.

I would suggest looking on the job websites to have a look:
http://www.seek.com.au/
http://www.careerone.com.au/

I had a quick and didn't really find many jobs to be honest. There were 23 in total when I searched all of Australia and a bunch were for the UK and one in New Zealand. Hopefully more jobs are advertised through the department of health for the various states rather than on the web.

Here's the link for NSW, you'll probably want to have a look at the other states too.
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/jobs/index.asp
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Tamara1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links Comet, I will check them out. And i hope that Dorothy will have osme info fo rme too
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that! Can you start a franchise in the southern burbs as well?

Somehow we've managed to survive without Timmies, but I'd still like to find a place that sells just basic, quick, inexpensive coffee...I'm surprised no one has started a chain here. I see all the people running in to the Wild Bean Cafes and think Tim's would make a fortune here.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you could make me a sour cream glaze donut and a large double double I will be your first customer
I'll be sure to have iced cap for you in the summer too. High fat but ssssoooooo worth the 5000 calories and 87 g of fat.
Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah that! Can you start a franchise in the southern burbs as well?

Somehow we've managed to survive without Timmies, but I'd still like to find a place that sells just basic, quick, inexpensive coffee...I'm surprised no one has started a chain here. I see all the people running in to the Wild Bean Cafes and think Tim's would make a fortune here.
That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Quick, basic, inexpensive ($1.50 for small) coffee and quick, basic, inexpensive muffins ($1.50) and bagels. I don't want to do the half caff double shot latte's with a dash of cinnamon; just coffee. You want that black or with cream? Sugar or no?

Where we've just moved is 1/2 way between the proposed Mitchell Fwy extension and the n/s train line extension. They're building a light industrial area not far from us so we're looking to put our place in there. I would think it would be popular with the commuters getting on the freeway as well as the tradies.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:53 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Tamara1973
Thanks you in advance,
Tamara
Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for visas. Particularly booklet 6, which is for state sponsored skilled visas.

I work in cardiology, so don't know what the demand for lab techs might be. I do know that I would like them to hire another secretary in our department, though.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:06 am
Canuck/Aussie

I'll be sure to have iced cap for you in the summer too. High fat but ssssoooooo worth the 5000 calories and 87 g of fat.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Quick, basic, inexpensive ($1.50 for small) coffee and quick, basic, inexpensive muffins ($1.50) and bagels. I don't want to do the half caff double shot latte's with a dash of cinnamon; just coffee. You want that black or with cream? Sugar or no?

Where we've just moved is 1/2 way between the proposed Mitchell Fwy extension and the n/s train line extension. They're building a light industrial area not far from us so we're looking to put our place in there. I would think it would be popular with the commuters getting on the freeway as well as the tradies.
Would you put in a drive through?

I really miss being able to drive coffee shops because my son is such a pain in the butt to take in somewhere just to get a hot chocolate or something.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:08 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by comet555
Would you put in a drive through?

I really miss being able to drive coffee shops because my son is such a pain in the butt to take in somewhere just to get a hot chocolate or something.
Possibly. There's a drive through coffee shop not far from us now but it takes ages to get through. Gotta love Horton's where you order and by the time you get the money out of your wallet the coffees are ready.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.