Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you rent a property in Oz while still in the UK?

Can you rent a property in Oz while still in the UK?

Old May 15th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice
Default Can you rent a property in Oz while still in the UK?

sounds easy enough, but are there laws against renting a property so we have somewhere to go to when we arrive this summer?
Old May 15th 2008, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you rent a property in Oz while still in the UK?

Dont think there are laws against it but I dont fancy your chances of finding a real estate agent who would do it for you given the pressure on rental properties here. They do like to see what they are getting, check your references etc. Many folk have tried to interest estate agents before they get here and the usual reply is "get in touch when you get here". Mind you, I think it would be a bit risky to rent sight unseen. What appears on realestate.com is often not quite what you end up with! Better get a holiday let for a few weeks and work on the ground in person.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice

Yep, sounds like the best plan. Potentially I am looking at moving over before the family move, so its less of an issue for me to get shacked up for a week or two then do the groundwork from there.

Thanks for the advice
Old May 15th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding references - what if you don't have any? We haven't rented a house since we married 19 years ago, so we don't have any. Is a character reference any good?
Old May 15th 2008, 11:53 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Regarding references - what if you don't have any? We haven't rented a house since we married 19 years ago, so we don't have any. Is a character reference any good?
We put down family members and friends for a reference. Estate agent never bothered contacting any of them.

Gina
Old May 16th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt rent until i arrived
properties can look great on the web but be awful in real life (seen a few of these!!)
as for references, we put two friends down that we'd just met here in Oz and that was fine
Old May 16th 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I went over in April OH was working and we stayed in a motel for a few weeks while i tried to secure him a rental. One estate agent wouldn't even allow the process to proceed unless husband (who was working during the day) went to see it, as he would be the name on the lease, not me. Of course we've only been married 20years so I would have no idea whether it would be suitable for him or not!!!!
Experience says they will not rent out unless the person renting the property has viewed in person (been there done that)
Andrea
Old May 16th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

We secured a rental for a town house from UK. We knew where we wanted to be, faxed all documentation over, paid bond on debit card - sorted! I think its easier to secure in a complex than say a house as there is an on sight management office and they are used to people coming and going. Good luck
Old May 16th 2008, 9:57 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Can you rent a property in Oz while still in the UK?

We tried to do this from the uk, agents all said if our friend could view the property and accept its suitability we could then pay/sort it from uk - ended up being too much hassle tbh, friend was having a nightmare time of his own so we left it til we got here - just booked a furnished holiday rental for 2 weeks for when we arrived...
Old May 16th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

We knew where we wanted to be and fund it hard to get an agent who would entertain us whilst still in UK. Offering 6 months up front did the trick. We just wanted stability for the kids. Luckily, we got a fantasic property.
Good luck
Old May 20th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

It's possible if you're very specific about location and your needs.

If you have a representative to undertake the viewing and report back and all your documentation is ready then applications can be made in your absence with the agreement of the agent. I've found a number of agents are willing to accept such an application.

Problems include 1. the time lag because it's better to put an instant application in following the viewing and 2. making sure you get full details on the property as it can be a big risk without knowing the areas.