Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:43 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you get the following in Oz!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ahhhhhh shut ur gub! I'm going now, remember I've got the mumps so have been feeling under the weather, cheeky sod!
Aye I know Jen, just teasing you! Hope you're feeling better!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

All available here except pickled beetroot (thank god, will Poll on that one, it's the food of the devil and should be banned) but you can get it in British shops I guess.

Sugar free ice pops are in Woolies definitely but can't remember the name but they're sold unfrozen and I think they're kept with the dessert stuff like jelly, tinned fruit, that sort of area. They're in a big pack of about 20. If I remember when I nip down later, I'll check out the name for you.

Sugar free fizzy? There's shed loads of the stuff but I am violently against it as I refuse to have anything with man made sweeteners in so I only have the full sugar fizzy or cordial and monitor the amount we drink.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:25 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by verystormy
Beetroot. Are you guys actually in Oz? They are obsessed with it. I remember my first shop in a Sydney supermarket and standing there looking perplexed at why they needed half a dozen shelves just for differnt brands of beetroot. Personaly i think the isolation has gotten to them and have developed some kind of strange beetroot cult
A slice of beetroot with your burger seems to be standard fare at bbqs in Oz ... now don't get me wrong, I like beetroot in a salad, but not with my burger
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

In Sydney they eat loads of pickled. See it here in Coles and Woolworths as well. I like it but not on burgers

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
All available here except pickled beetroot (thank god, will Poll on that one, it's the food of the devil and should be banned) but you can get it in British shops I guess.

Sugar free ice pops are in Woolies definitely but can't remember the name but they're sold unfrozen and I think they're kept with the dessert stuff like jelly, tinned fruit, that sort of area. They're in a big pack of about 20. If I remember when I nip down later, I'll check out the name for you.

Sugar free fizzy? There's shed loads of the stuff but I am violently against it as I refuse to have anything with man made sweeteners in so I only have the full sugar fizzy or cordial and monitor the amount we drink.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:06 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
A slice of beetroot with your burger seems to be standard fare at bbqs in Oz ... now don't get me wrong, I like beetroot in a salad, but not with my burger
yes but its really sweet as they put sugar in it whe its cooking

buy fresh beets and cook them in white vinegar
into tupperware and into the fridge
lasts about 6 months
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, I'm not fussy, and am not finding myself missing too much food/drinkwise from the UK. However there are a few things I was wondering if you could get, so here goes:

* Ready made polenta: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Image.../41/001341.jpg like this or similar?!

* Sugar free ice-pops or whatever they're called here? Can anybody recommend any brands or show me any pictures as I can't seem to find any in the supermarkets?

* Sugar free fizzy canned drinks, I've come to the realisation that I can't get anything apart from coke or pepsi in a sugar free form in the servos, but are there any nice flavoured sugar free fizzy drinks you can buy in cans or bottles in the supermarkets? This is not something I drink often I might add, but when I do fancy something fizzy, the whole coke thing is wearing very thin, YUCK!

* Chickpeas, either dried, canned or frozen?

* Pickled beetroot, in a jar, like the stuff you'd get back home, I love it with salads, all I've seen is the stuff in the can!?
That's about all for now, your help would be greatly appreciated folks.
I miss decent affordable Sandwiches (Ginsters own) and Smiths Square crisps and of course above all 24 hour supermarkets!

Hey Jen1977 did I see you on the ARRSE website? Hope you know what I mean!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
I miss decent affordable Sandwiches (Ginsters own) and Smiths Square crisps and of course above all 24 hour supermarkets!

Hey Jen1977 did I see you on the ARRSE website? Hope you know what I mean!
Yes u did, we're laterals, arrived here last month...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

AHA! Thought it was! Glad it all went well for you. You do get some very angry people on that Forum. I was one of them until I got out!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:39 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
AHA! Thought it was! Glad it all went well for you. You do get some very angry people on that Forum. I was one of them until I got out!
Yeah that's why the OLT group on Facebook exists, I got fed up with the tw@ts on ARRSE mouthing off, if you want the details of the group PM me...