Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get the following in Oz!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ohhhhh intriguing @ the red chickpea!? Hmmmm
desi ismainly stockfood as its inferior to kabuli
Spanish one was superb thou- I think it was called -equadeuce (my spelling memory not helping but thats the phonetic name )
it was eaten straight of the plant-tasted a little bit like cashew
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kporte
Beetroot Jen? Never seen that here, I don't think it's popular
Are you kidding me? Aussies put beetroot on everything!

I think it might be more of the fresh variety here though. No reason to pickle it when it's readily available fresh.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009

I think it might be more of the fresh variety here though. No reason to pickle it when it's readily available fresh.
I guess when you've been brought up in a country where pickled beetroot is enjoyed in salads, it's what you like, flavour wise. Different strokes for different folks eh!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Making your own polenta cakes doesn't take long and its much nicer than the packaged stuff, the texture is nicer and its almost foolproof. It is a bit tricky to track down in the supermarket, I think last time I found it it was in the aisle with the pasta, which is also the aisle with all the other international foods.

I am sure you wont struggle to find beetroot, the pickled kind is used in every burger I have had since moving here, so it must be easy to get.

Can't help with soft drinks and ice lollies - but if you are after something diet Skinny Cow ice-cream is yummy, even my chocaholic husband likes them and he usually wants some sort of double chocolate with cookies and brownies type of ice-cream.

And chickpeas, like everyone says, any supermarket. I do struggle with some other types of canned beans but chickpeas are easy to get
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Chick peas are grown all over Australia
Kabuli-white chickpea
Desi- red chickpea

most are sold to FIJI -indian merchants

grew them for many years
there is also a spanish chickpea -used to grow it but never saw it for sale in Australia
Your right with a large growing area. Though I wouldn't quite agree with all over. Was trying to put the idea of Darling Downs chickpeas processed on an industrial scale going back to the UK to the OP.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm not fussy, and am not finding myself missing too much food/drinkwise from the UK. However there are a few things I was wondering if you could get, so here goes:

* Ready made polenta: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Image.../41/001341.jpg like this or similar?!

* Sugar free ice-pops or whatever they're called here? Can anybody recommend any brands or show me any pictures as I can't seem to find any in the supermarkets?

* Sugar free fizzy canned drinks, I've come to the realisation that I can't get anything apart from coke or pepsi in a sugar free form in the servos, but are there any nice flavoured sugar free fizzy drinks you can buy in cans or bottles in the supermarkets? This is not something I drink often I might add, but when I do fancy something fizzy, the whole coke thing is wearing very thin, YUCK!

* Chickpeas, either dried, canned or frozen?

* Pickled beetroot, in a jar, like the stuff you'd get back home, I love it with salads, all I've seen is the stuff in the can!?
That's about all for now, your help would be greatly appreciated folks.
For soft drinks
http://www.sodastream.com.au/sodastreamsystem

Saxbys and Kirks (coca cola ) put out Diet drinks
http://www.sugarfreezone.com.au/beverages_page01.html
your just replacing sugar with salt thou
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Your right with a large growing area. Though I wouldn't quite agree with all over. Was trying to put the idea of Darling Downs chickpeas processed on an industrial scale going back to the UK to the OP.
They are grown for export at Carnarvon WA,this is the only area I know of that is contracted solely for export.
Anchor Foods SA and WA buy locally grown.
Wimmera in Victoria is a major growing area
From central NSW to the Darling Downs it is a normal rotation with cotton and wheat.
Seems pretty wide spread growing areas.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:45 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
For soft drinks
http://www.sodastream.com.au/sodastreamsystem

Saxbys and Kirks (coca cola ) put out Diet drinks
http://www.sugarfreezone.com.au/beverages_page01.html
your just replacing sugar with salt thou
I remember sodastream as a kid, and they are not fond memories, I'm sure they taste much better these days, but I'm not willing to find out lol I'd love to hear the 'honk' again though, that they made when you pushed the button lol *goes to youtube to see if there's a video* (Crikey the sooner I start teaching again the better, my life really has become WAY TOO EXCITING LOL)
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009

Ah sarcasm! You can get Heinz jars of baby beets in Coles!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Beetroot. Are you guys actually in Oz? They are obsessed with it. I remember my first shop in a Sydney supermarket and standing there looking perplexed at why they needed half a dozen shelves just for differnt brands of beetroot. Personaly i think the isolation has gotten to them and have developed some kind of strange beetroot cult
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Can you get the following in Oz!?

Originally Posted by verystormy
Beetroot. Are you guys actually in Oz? They are obsessed with it. I remember my first shop in a Sydney supermarket and standing there looking perplexed at why they needed half a dozen shelves just for differnt brands of beetroot. Personaly i think the isolation has gotten to them and have developed some kind of strange beetroot cult
And people say there's no choice in Australian supermarkets!

Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Food of the devil, the most disgusting stuff ever grown. Aussies love it on everything and get quite huffy if you say you don't want the vile muck.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

are there any nice flavoured sugar free fizzy drinks you can buy in cans or bottles in the supermarkets?
Obviously not sure what things are like in Toowoomba, but our local Woolies here in Perth has plenty of sugar free fizzy drinks in bottles. They often have the "sugar" version on one shelf and then the "diet" version above or below. I quite like the Schweppes Diet Ginger Ale .

Wander up and down the drinks ailes and check it out.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Jen, for the love of god, leave the laptop alone and go to the shops and have a look!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:09 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by kporte
Jen, for the love of god, leave the laptop alone and go to the shops and have a look!
Ahhhhhh shut ur gub! I'm going now, remember I've got the mumps so have been feeling under the weather, cheeky sod!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.