Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we open any bank account in Australia before migrating from US?

Can we open any bank account in Australia before migrating from US?

Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:41 am
KAR
Forum Regular

KAR will become famous soon enough
Default Can we open any bank account in Australia before migrating from US?

Hello,
Can any one please pass on the information if we could open any bank account in any of the banks before landing in AUS from US?

Thanks in Advance!!

KAR
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we open any bank account in Australia before migrating from US?

Yes you can. National Australia Bank has a great service and with low to no account fees its worth while starting with them initially. They are not just for UK migrants.

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec..._Finance/15/23
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:31 am
KAR
Forum Regular

KAR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes you can. National Australia Bank has a great service and with low to no account fees its worth while starting with them initially. They are not just for UK migrants.

Thanks Centurion.. will give it a shot.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

We opened accounts with Westpac before arriving in Oz. Choose them as they had low costs and a good interest rate on the savings which was important to us.
The customer service from them has been excellent. Lets hope that is the case when we get to Oz!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Well, I have also sent a request to CommonWealth bank a week ago and to my surprise they called on my mobile the day after. The lady was really nice and explained everything to me.

In a nut shell, she told me 3 weeks before, I'll send the online application again, then in a few days they will open the account. They'll send me the details and I'll be able to transfer the money.

Please note that you wont be able to touch that money once transfered until you arrive in OZ, go to the bank and sign some papers.

So, guys, which bank you think offers the best overall rates/service etc? I heard CommonWealth are the biggest, but their rates are not that good....

Thanks
B1K3R
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:10 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion

I'd go for NAB I opened an account with them before leaving uk and all along I have had nothing but excellent service from them and now they've got rid of the account fees it's even better
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Westpac have a process whereby it is possible to complete the security checks before arriving in Australia and the account is then fully operational. This was hugely helpful for us as we did not have to wait until 3 weeks before leaving and have been sending money over gradually over the last few months optimising exchange rate fluctulations. We are due to leave in 4 weeks and have also been able to use the account already to pay for our temp accommodation etc. As said before their service has been excellent.