Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to make the move?

Can we afford to make the move?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

w.hutson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we afford to make the move?

Hi I am new to site today. I am researching possibl move from england to south australia. Myself,wife and 3 kids will make the move. We have plenty questions but our biggest is if we can afford to make the move.
When paid for cost of move we will be leaving with little finances. My fear is will I beable to live on wages of a registered nurse my wife will only be working part time around kids. Will we get back on the property ladder at my age (41).
We dont expect lots but we would like to be comfortable with acceptable housing in decent area.
I would love to hear your thoughts
Thanks Warren
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:48 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to make the move?

Hi Warren,
I will be watching this thread with interest.
I am also a nurse who is hopefully going to spend a year in Australia. We will not have any money to take as we are not going to sell our house here.
I'm hoping that by renting somewhere affordable and buying second hand furniture we will be able to make ends meet. We won't be looking to buy so obviously that will make a difference for us.
Have you got a job lined up?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

fogfurn will become famous soon enough

hi warren
i am also 41 wife 42 and son is 12
have started application for TRA
LIKE YOUR SELF AM CONCERED ABOUT finances, but seen that it is going to take a few years for application to be asessed i hope to be able to save something. i to will be watching this thread with interest
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

we are heading back over in April, we will have little money, but we have lived over there before in Adelaide, so I know we can manage soon as we get into work, it all depends on what your life style is like, and if you want to buy a house/rent, we will be renting, Im 42 hubby 49 and 2 girls 19 &14, it`l all work out soon as one/both of us get work.

You do need quite a bit to set up, car,insurance,rego, rent bond,food etc etc

Good Luck to you all

Bluekipper
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Warren,
I will be watching this thread with interest.
I am also a nurse who is hopefully going to spend a year in Australia. We will not have any money to take as we are not going to sell our house here.
I'm hoping that by renting somewhere affordable and buying second hand furniture we will be able to make ends meet. We won't be looking to buy so obviously that will make a difference for us.
Have you got a job lined up?
have you an idea of how much your take home pay will be in australia I can find details on nurse salaries but they dont explain how much approx is take home pay.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w.hutson
have you an idea of how much your take home pay will be in australia I can find details on nurse salaries but they dont explain how much approx is take home pay.
Have a look on the nurses section (go to forum index -working abroad by profession - nursing). There's loads of info - you can use the search facility too.
How many years have you been qualified?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

8 years qualified
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If motivations to migrate are primarily financial, then there is plenty of scope for a disappointing migration outcome.

Your mindset should be more along the lines of what you are prepared to sacrifice in order to become Australians.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I agree JaJ, we are giving up secure jobs and are going back because of lifestyle and because we want to.

We will have very very little money but a massive amount of determination to make it work, I will be eternally grateful just to get a job I like, I dont ask for a lot!!!

Bluekipper
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

My wife and I are going over in April and becuase of the exchange rate we are going to take very little over with us. Just enough to get set up. As JAJ said our motivation is not purely financial, we want to live in Australia. Although we will be needing to earn those Aussie Dollars ASAP!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:47 pm
Happy migrant

People still need to know that they can make ends meet - that doesn't mean their primary motivation is financial.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
People still need to know that they can make ends meet - that doesn't mean their primary motivation is financial.

Yep, I agree. It's to know whether it's worthwhile to a) survive and b) to live fairly comfortably.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Can I just ask, for those going over in their 40's with little or no money - what do you plan to retire on?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinH
Can I just ask, for those going over in their 40's with little or no money - what do you plan to retire on?
With another 20 year's of work ahead of me and a pension earned in UK that I am able to transfer, I think I should be ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.