Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I do it on my own?

Can I do it on my own?

Old May 16th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Claire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really nice
Default Can I do it on my own?

Have just got back from seing sunny adelaide with my husband but unfortunatley we have now split up I really still want to go but it is a daunting task especially when you think you have it all planned out. Our house has still not sold so I am stuck here till it does, I have a job in flinders hospital waiting for me, anyone else taking the plunge on their own.

I am nearly thirty and been with my OH for 10 years and it seemed to be our dream, i just feel I will be letting myself down if i dont give it a bash!

So any positive sotories of people going it alone and making lots of friends I would love to hear, feeling pretty miserable and drinking copious amount of red wine!

Last edited by Claire and Dave; May 16th 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all
Default Re: Can I do it on my own?

Originally Posted by Claire and Dave

Have just got back from seing sunny adelaide with my husband but unfortunatley we have now split up I really still want to go but it is a daunting task especially when you think you have it all planned out. Our house has still not sold so I am stuck here till it does, I have a job in flinders hospital waiting for me, anyone else taking the plunge on their own.

I am nearly thirty and been with my OH for 10 years and it seemed to be our dream, i just feel I will be letting myself down if i dont give it a bash!

So any positive sotories of people going it alone and making lots of friends I would love to hear, feeling pretty miserable and drinking copious amount of red wine!
Sorry to hear of your situation. But good for you that you still have the urge to make the big move.
I'm sure they'll be someone along soon to help you...the peeps in Oz will be in bed now but no doubt you'll get some replies later on or tomorrow morning.

Good luck
Old May 16th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

In the words of Monty Python...

"Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!!!!

Sorry to hear about your situation, even if it was your decision to split 10 years is a long time to be together and when you have such life changing plans made together it must be hard.

IMO I would say go, give it a year or two and if you hate it come back to the UK. It would be horrible to be on your death bed at 90 years old wishing you went!

If you need someone to moan/chat with feel free to PM me.

Gill xx
Old May 16th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

littlemiss will become famous soon enough

I would say "Go for it girl" I want to do it on my own, albeit I have family there, life is far too short for ifs and buts, just think of it as a whole new start!! If it is meant to be it will work out for you and open up new opportunities and doors!! Good luck!!
Old May 16th 2008, 10:39 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlemiss
I would say "Go for it girl" I want to do it on my own, albeit I have family there, life is far too short for ifs and buts, just think of it as a whole new start!! If it is meant to be it will work out for you and open up new opportunities and doors!! Good luck!!
If anyone wants something bad enough than it will become reality.

The ppl here are really freindly and nive we ( me mrs and 4 kids ) have been here over 4 weeks now and we love it !!!!

they are reall nice and i am sure you will be able to make it over here, they have meet ups coffee mornings etc etc.

Good luck and chase that dream.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Dont think of it as the end of the last 10 years but the beginning of the next!!!! I have heard of several people here alone but One is a new friend of mine Helen (Poshpom.) I would suggest you send her a PM...

Good luck with your very exciting ( and ever so slightly scary!) new beginning!!
Old May 16th 2008, 11:47 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Hey Claire

Sorry to hear what's happened too, you'd be fine here in Adelaide though. As KOH said, the people are really friendly and there are people in all kinds of situations so you'll find your spot. The expats here are a great support network and sounds like you have the right attitude to succeed

I'm sure others will say the same too but feel free to PM me if you do go for it and we can arrange to meet up when you get here.

Good luck and enjoy your wine, if it helps with your decision they do the best red wine here
Old May 16th 2008, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Go for it

My OH cousin split from her OH after 17 years and with a teenager in tow, she went for it! She is doing fine and has the time of her life.

I have always said if you dont like somthing "change it" you only get one shot on this planet
Old May 17th 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Yes you can, if you want to. Where are you going to get the best opportunities to have the life you want?

You are bound to be feeling worried right now, especially when you have planned so much together. It is only natural to want to stay in a relative comfort zone at the moment.

What do you want to look back and say 10 years from now?
Give it as much time, while the house is selling before you have to decide. In a few weeks you'll be amazed how different you feel, and more able to make those kind of decisions.
Good luck
Old May 17th 2008, 4:55 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course you can. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Don't doubt - just do! In the end, what have you got to lose?
Old May 18th 2008, 3:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it! You've already got a job lined up, so don't have to worry about that. Definitely have a go.

Good luck!

Gina
Old May 18th 2008, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it, you CAN do it!!! I've been through a very similar situation and made the move to Sydney on my own......I've been here 8 months now and have never, and will never look back Everyone has been sooo helpful and sooo very friendly, and in my opinion starting over again has probably been 100 times easier over here as it would've been in the UK!!! Sydney and the Aussies are great

Feel free to PM me if you want to
Old May 18th 2008, 10:46 am
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Wouldn't advise it, I think you'd get very lonely on your own. Australians although superficially pleasant are very insular people.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:52 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go for it!
There's a few ladies on here that have and are around to tell the tale.
Try searching for Daunted and Midwife Mandy, both lovely ladies (?) who live in Perth
Old May 18th 2008, 10:22 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hi there's quite a few of us going alone I say do it. Check out this thread for some company http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...08493&page=121 you say you've a job at flinders hospital so I take it you're heading to Melbourne I'm heading that way too hoping to fly out to Mornington in August

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.