Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Vic - any recommendations?

Camping in Vic - any recommendations?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Camping in Vic - any recommendations?

It's that time of year again when OH has decided it's getting warm enough to drag us into the bush for some quality family time with the mozzies .

We were thinking of Philip Island for this weekend but I think it might still be cold at night down there just now.

Anyone got any recommendations of good camping areas within 2-3 hrs drive of the CBD?

cheers
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Camping in Vic - any recommendations?

I really liked the Grampians. I'd say between 3 and 4 hours from the CBD. I was there the other weekend. It wasn't at all cold at night.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
It's that time of year again when OH has decided it's getting warm enough to drag us into the bush for some quality family time with the mozzies .

We were thinking of Philip Island for this weekend but I think it might still be cold at night down there just now.

Anyone got any recommendations of good camping areas within 2-3 hrs drive of the CBD?

cheers

We were down at Lochsport last weekend, great spot. But the mozzies are a nightmare, some of them were that big that they had co-pilots on board
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:35 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I really liked the Grampians. I'd say between 3 and 4 hours from the CBD. I was there the other weekend. It wasn't at all cold at night.
On the list, but we've got a longer trip planned for there wit hfriends in a few weeks. I'm surprised it wasn't too cold at night though, thanks for that
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:45 am
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

cheers
We're going to Philip Island to camp this weekend - chickened out of camping at the last minute because the Getaway programme last night advertised half price villas so rang up and booked!! So we still remain virgin campers!!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Go too Apollo Bay or Lorne

Easier drive for you and get some good bush camping with great beaches.

Will be busy though as it looks to be a cracka weekend
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

Apollo bay is a great place, but it can get really busy. We went there earlier in the year and the camp site liked like a Middle East refugee camp there was that many people on it.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:27 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Apollo bay is a great place, but it can get really busy. We went there earlier in the year and the camp site liked like a Middle East refugee camp there was that many people on it.
Bit like Mornington then
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:21 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by jond
It's on the list but we were down there for a few days last month with Mike's Mum and Dad.

We were thinking of Creswick National Park or Philip Island but as it's goign to be a lovely dy, we decided PI was too far today. The girls wanted the beach so CNP was out too. So, the decision is made - Torquay. Not too far to drive, and plenty of choices of beaches too.

Now, we've just got to pack the car

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:23 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by ittakesages
We're going to Philip Island to camp this weekend - chickened out of camping at the last minute because the Getaway programme last night advertised half price villas so rang up and booked!! So we still remain virgin campers!!
lol, Philip Island was one place we really fancied going today (the girls want to see the penguins again). But, we've opted to stay on the west of the city to reduce the journey a little.

Have a great weekend in your air conditioned villa
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Try here

http://www.exploroz.com/Places/Find/...aspx?ky=&s=VIC
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bit like Mornington then

Not really, more like Malvern
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

lol, Philip Island was one place we really fancied going today (the girls want to see the penguins again). But, we've opted to stay on the west of the city to reduce the journey a little.

Have a great weekend in your air conditioned villa
How was your weekend good i hope
Did you see many spiders and snakes on your camping adventure ?
we are bringing our tent etc over but a bit doubtful about camping in oz
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:01 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
How was your weekend good i hope
Did you see many spiders and snakes on your camping adventure ?
we are bringing our tent etc over but a bit doubtful about camping in oz
It was really great fun. We camped at a site on the foreshore at Torquay (start of the Great Ocean Road) and spent the day on the beach.

No spiders in sight, but I do seem to have provided the mossies with a 10 course meal. Actually, it turns out I'm VERY allergic to mossie bites and had to go to the Dr today as one of them on my leg grew to 5" overnight.

To reassure you, I'm a complete spider freak - even a teensy one can make me cry and no one I know can believe I'll go camping here. How do I manage it? Our tent is fully seamed with fly screens and the kids are on strict orders that the screens are zipped immediately after opening so nothing can get in.