Reload this Page >

(Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

(Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:36 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road
Arrow (Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

Hi, I have to replace my mobile phone shortly and have to consider our move to Australia when deciding what to get.

My first choice is the LG8120 but I was wondering whether it will work once we get to Australia. I am pretty sure the normal features will work (voice calls, texting etc) but was wondering if the 3g network is supported over there and would this phone intergrate with it?

Also, does anyone have a video+camera phone and have any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

Originally Posted by CON
Hi, I have to replace my mobile phone shortly and have to consider our move to Australia when deciding what to get.

My first choice is the LG8120 but I was wondering whether it will work once we get to Australia. I am pretty sure the normal features will work (voice calls, texting etc) but was wondering if the 3g network is supported over there and would this phone intergrate with it?

Thanks
Hi there,

3G isn't supported over there. You can use a camera vid phone but it'll need to be SIM free or unlocked then you can purchase a SIM card (pay and go) over there. Recommended phone is the GX20 or GX 30 by Sharp, they have lots of features plus superb pic quality. I'd recommend a pay and go one as you will have no credit rating for 2 years. Phone the company you get the phone from and make you sure it'll adjust to the network of the country your in. Telstra is one in Oz and is really cheap!

Hope this helps! Good luck Annie
Old Aug 14th 2004, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: (Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

Originally Posted by CON

Thanks
From what I can see the LG 8120 hasn't been released in Australia yet, but it seems to be in the pipeline

http://www.three.com.au may be able to help.

Also this announcement made a few days ago:

"Telstra will take a $450 million plunge into third generation (3G) mobile phone services in a unique network-sharing deal with rival Hutchison 3G Australia.

Telstra will buy half of Hutchison's 3G network.

"Telstra and Hutchison will each continue to own separate core networks, application and service platforms, and will conduct their retail 3G businesses independently and in competition with each other," the companies said in a joint statement.

Telstra says it will launch its 3G services to customers next year using the entire network of more than 2,000 base stations across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

The joint-venture plans to roll out the network to the ACT and regional centres over the next three years."

Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:56 am
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: (Camera,Video) Mobile phones in Australia

Thanks for your help guys. I will have to research this a bit more before I shell out any money.