calpol

Old May 10th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default calpol

Can you get Calpol in Aus, if not what else works for the kids?
Old May 10th 2005, 7:57 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calpol

Originally Posted by flip
You can't get calpol, sister in law always requests a bottle whenever anyone visits! From what I remember the equivalent is Disprol liquid - same but different if you know what I mean.
Old May 10th 2005, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Calpol is basically a Paracetamol solution so should be available under another name.

Paracetamol is known as Acetamenophin in the US. Not sure about Australia.

G
Old May 10th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks both of you but will the kids take it as willingly as they would the real thing or should I pack 10 bottles in readiness?
Old May 10th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

I would take some supplies as then you can try out the Aus versions whilst knowing you have the backup of trusty Calpol!!! When you find something the kids like you are laughing!!
Old May 10th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you but will the kids take it as willingly as they would the real thing or should I pack 10 bottles in readiness?
Hi,
We have pnadol for kids which comes in all varieties, strengths, flavours, sugar free etc so you should find one to suit! I wouldn't bother bringing a lot over...just enough until you can get stocked up over here. btw alot of pharmacies are open on Sundays too.
Pootle

Sorry - meant to put panadol! (its early here!)
Old May 10th 2005, 8:43 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I use the sugar free calpol, but needed some while in oz, bought the disprol one and mine had it no worries at all. Depends how fussy they are, or how much pain they are in!!
Old May 10th 2005, 9:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Paracetamol comes in many different guises here. Popular brand name Panadol is readily available, as someone else said, in different strengths & potions. If you want to save money buy something called Panamax, its had identical ingredients (just a different brand name!) & you can buy it in double strength - costs very little more but you use half as much so it works out a heap cheaper (& the kids dont have as much to swallow!).

You can also buy ibuprofen for kids, brand name Nuerofen which is alot better than paracetamol for fever.

If it were me, I would always take a bottle with me when I went to the pharmacy & ask them to supply you with the equivilent. Its also worth asking what generic brands are available as they can be considerably cheaper.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Calpol is basically a Paracetamol solution so should be available under another name.

Paracetamol is known as Acetamenophin in the US. Not sure about Australia.

G
I bet you don't have kids.

Some kids will only take what they are familiar with, if this is the case bring a load of Calpol with you. We did, and we ask visitors to bring the stuff when they come over.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I bet you don't have kids.

Some kids will only take what they are familiar with, if this is the case bring a load of Calpol with you. We did, and we ask visitors to bring the stuff when they come over.
Yes I do have kids.

And they managed to get into their 30's in one piece despite my ignorance.

I also work in healthcare and was answering the question factually.

G
Old May 11th 2005, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Ditto, bring as much as you can, if your kids are used to it; mine won't touch the Aus stuff plus you can't get sachets here. My SIL sent over a few packets and they have been a godsend; you can't argue with grissly kids when they're refusing the Aussie stuff, plus temperatures can be a bit scarey if they're ill when it's hot.
ATB
Larissa
Old May 11th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Good ol' Calpol hey!

We used to go through a bottle every fortnight. My kids had every bug and lergy under the sun.

Since we have come to Oz (2 years now) we have finished the half bottle of Calpol we brought with us and that is about it.

I took the empty bottle to the pharmacy and asked for the closest possible thing to it and the kids have had 1 dose of that and were happy with it - not fluro pink though.

Hopefully you won't need much either. I also have all their ecezma creams sitting in the cupboard gathering dust. Asthma sprays 2 fold though.

Queenie

Old May 11th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all - I'll stock up on supplies for the first few months then, hopefully wean the kids off it when it's not just one more change for the little darlings.

They'd soon have been moving onto the older children's one anyway and I know they don't like that so I may as well train them in Australian medicine.

You've all been really helpful. An amazing place to come, this site, when something terribly simple springs to mind and it's great to have professional, practical and sympathetic advice.

Carolyn
Old May 11th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all - I'll stock up on supplies for the first few months then, hopefully wean the kids off it when it's not just one more change for the little darlings.

They'd soon have been moving onto the older children's one anyway and I know they don't like that so I may as well train them in Australian medicine.

You've all been really helpful. An amazing place to come, this site, when something terribly simple springs to mind and it's great to have professional, practical and sympathetic advice.

Carolyn
Personally I think Nurofen is pretty good as it's also an anti-inflammatory and great for teething related problems. Can get that here.
Old May 11th 2005, 9:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by queenie
Good ol' Calpol hey!

We used to go through a bottle every fortnight. My kids had every bug and lergy under the sun.

Since we have come to Oz (2 years now) we have finished the half bottle of Calpol we brought with us and that is about it.

I took the empty bottle to the pharmacy and asked for the closest possible thing to it and the kids have had 1 dose of that and were happy with it - not fluro pink though.

Hopefully you won't need much either. I also have all their ecezma creams sitting in the cupboard gathering dust. Asthma sprays 2 fold though.

Queenie

That's so true, I was only commenting to my wife last night how more healthy the kids were over here.

I remember once when we were Calpolless I ended up adding red food colouring to the white aussie equivalent, it didn't fool the kids though.