Reload this Page >

Calling UK emergency services from abroad

Calling UK emergency services from abroad

Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Calling UK emergency services from abroad

Hi all,

Is it possible to call the UK emergency services (999) from Australia? I have family there that live alone and are getting on a bit. They let me know each day that they are OK - I'm just planing ahead in case I ever need it.

Thank you!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling UK emergency services from abroad

Originally Posted by red7
Hi all,

Is it possible to call the UK emergency services (999) from Australia? I have family there that live alone and are getting on a bit. They let me know each day that they are OK - I'm just planing ahead in case I ever need it.

Thank you!
Most UK police services have non-emergency numbers now, check out this list -
https://www.police.uk/contact/#alternative-numbers
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had a monitoring service sorted for my FIL, who had a fall. It is not expensive and can be adapted for various situations. For example it will let them know if he is out of bed during the night for longer than 10 minutes, they just hail him via a phone speaker to check he is OK, if he doesn’t reply they alert emergency services or send someone to check up, they have access to a key safe on the property. I’m sure they could easily do a daily check too and he has a wrist strap with a button to call them if need be.

I’m sure they are available in most places, he is in Sheffield. After all they are in the right time zone to help too!

If I can find the details I will post it..
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
We had a monitoring service sorted for my FIL, who had a fall. It is not expensive and can be adapted for various situations. For example it will let them know if he is out of bed during the night for longer than 10 minutes, they just hail him via a phone speaker to check he is OK, if he doesn’t reply they alert emergency services or send someone to check up, they have access to a key safe on the property. I’m sure they could easily do a daily check too and he has a wrist strap with a button to call them if need be.

I’m sure they are available in most places, he is in Sheffield. After all they are in the right time zone to help too!

I think this is probably the best solution . . . or have a neighbour you can call, who can go over and check.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl

My mum has a similar thing, has a pendant to wear that she can press if she needs help. It alerts a call centre who can get help for her and notify my sister that here is a problem. Lots of companies around that do similar things nowadays.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all. We have been looking at these companies with the wristband etc. for quite some time but couldn't find one suitable. Every company except one required a contact person if they couldn't get hold of him. But he is somewhat of a recluse and doesn't have friends or family nearby. The neighbours are old themselves and not particularly reliable.

We needed one that would contact the emergency services. We found only one company that would do so but when he called and asked about it, they said last time they dialled 999 for one of their clients, they got an answering machine because it was so busy!

The only person we both really trust to get the job done if ever needed is myself - if I get an answering machine, I won't just leave a message and wash my hands of it! We have a system in place where he lets me know he's OK every day and if I don't get that notification, I will start calling his neighbours and, if needed, the emergency services. He has a key safe outside that I know the combination for, so I can give it to them to get into the house.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most UK police services have non-emergency numbers now, check out this list -
https://www.police.uk/contact/#alternative-numbers
Perfect, just what I was looking for! Thanks!