Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying stuff from usa to sell in oz.

buying stuff from usa to sell in oz.

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default buying stuff from usa to sell in oz.

Once settled in oz would like to start a business selling items sent from the states anyone do anything like this already and how are the customs with importing stuff into oz,is there limits on what you can import before taxes etc are charged and anyone doing well on it,i was planning on doing a website first then maybe a shop,just wondering if anyone is doing something the same.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying stuff from usa to sell in oz.

Originally Posted by brian.w
Once settled in oz would like to start a business selling items sent from the states anyone do anything like this already and how are the customs with importing stuff into oz,is there limits on what you can import before taxes etc are charged and anyone doing well on it,i was planning on doing a website first then maybe a shop,just wondering if anyone is doing something the same.
There's already an American shop in Melbourne which does internet sales as well as in-store shopping. What were you thinking of importing? Having lived less than 30 minutes from the American border for 90% of my life, I can honestly say the only things I would pay to order online would be a few food items (Shreddies, graham crackers, blue cheese dressing). Anything else can be easily found here.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

what about buying stuff new,a few of my stuff i would not bother taking over as needs replaced or updated,so was thinking buying new and having shipped over,but maybe just as cheap buying in oz?But probably the items are cheaper over here as more range and places selling.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:00 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

It is already easily accessable, we have ordered stuff from the states and had it sent here no problems!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
It is already easily accessable, we have ordered stuff from the states and had it sent here no problems!!
In fact its often easier to get stuff from the US or the UK than it is to search for it here! Also arrives quicker - stuff ordered from the UK gets to me faster than stuff from Sydney and Perth
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy new to bring over, you will pay tax and duty on it. You are much better to not ship your things that need replacing and buy them here. The potential savings in retail price will be lost when you get here and pay import duty. I think you will find that in order to bring personal effects they must be 12 months or older to count as your own. While customs is not always sticky about this, you would hate to have a container full of brand new American stuff and find your customs inspector wants to follow the rules to the letter.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:55 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend that sources all her stuff for her business (adult toys) from the USA. She says it works out cheaper than buying from over east. Not sure what customs are like etc, but I can find out for you.
Tracey