Reload this Page >

Buying a Business in Queensland

Buying a Business in Queensland

Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Sandy
Could you add the details of your step-daughters school to the thread about Private v State schools. A lot of people are looking for recommendations for "Good" schools.

ta
Actually, it's a bit complicated but Step-daughter (let's call her Alice) isn't in Brisbane. Relations with hubbys ex are a bit strained and so I wouldn't want to put myself in an awkward position over her situation. Let's just say she is happy in Australia, doesn't yet know of our plans, not sure of her reaction when she finds out. We will still be a long way from her home and so hope that she will be okay about it (but doubt it). One thing though, the Aussie judicial system did us proud when we needed it!

A bit cryptic for this time of night but necessary unfortunately!!!

Sandy

Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm not in touch with the rules for coming over here these days, having got my first RRV ages ago, but I am curious as to how much help it gives you when you "Buy" a business?

If you do buy a business and it does not succeed, are you allowed to start working for someone else ?

Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Have you been out there for a holiday? I couldn't imagine moving somewhere I've never been before!! Very brave!

We spent a couple of months in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast and even when the weather wsn't blazing it was a beautiful place. I have to say though that when we got back to England I realised how green this land really is!

I do love Britain but we just want to try something new and we also think our kids will have a much better chance over in Aus. My step-daughter lives out there and she loves her school, she is always positive about life also, she settled in really well and has been there about seven years now.

I find it difficult getting mine to school and when they come home they have always got something to complain about. Maybe Step-daughter has been lucky but the kids are literally worlds apart as far as their outlook on life is concerned.

What area are you looking at, or does that depend on Business opportunities?

Sandy
Sandy

We are going to Queensland on holiday this summer for 3weeks, I read on here that some people say go and see and some say don't, but we just want to be 100% sure. We will try and meet up with some people who are friends of friends who live there and see how they live which I think is different than any holiday.

I hope that our kids will have a better life than we have here, I think again it is a climate thing and them not being stuck in the house all the time makes a big difference.

We are not too sure as to where we want to move to area wise, but yes business has a lot to do with it be it my own bike dealership or working in the construction industry and also somewhere with good schooling for my brood.

It is very exciting to talk about the life we will be having but things never seem to turn out that way, we are under no illusions that it will be hard both mentally and financially for a couple of years until we get onto our feet.

We like Scotland but we both hate the weather and the fact the kids are stuck indoors 80% of the time, be it at home or at some club or another.

Andy
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I'm not in touch with the rules for coming over here these days, having got my first RRV ages ago, but I am curious as to how much help it gives you when you "Buy" a business?

If you do buy a business and it does not succeed, are you allowed to start working for someone else ?
Hi ABCDiamond

Not really worth thinking about, business not working that is, if you put your worldly worth into something would you make it work and check it out properly before you bought it, I certainly would.

Your business has to turnover $70k per year including your 1st, to allow you to stay if not back home for you. However, if you are qualified to do another job and it would allow you to stay I think they ask you to apply for your visa that way.

I will be applying for my job and then buying a business so this doesn't happen to me, hopefully.

Andy
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by ducatiandy
Hi ABCDiamond

Not really worth thinking about, business not working that is, if you put your worldly worth into something would you make it work and check it out properly before you bought it, I certainly would.

Your business has to turnover $70k per year including your 1st, to allow you to stay if not back home for you. However, if you are qualified to do another job and it would allow you to stay I think they ask you to apply for your visa that way.

I will be applying for my job and then buying a business so this doesn't happen to me, hopefully.

Andy
Thanks for the info Andy, it was just my devious mind thinking out loud