Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to buy or not to buy?

to buy or not to buy?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to buy or not to buy?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't get invloved in house price discussions as, like everyone else on here, do not know what is going to happen to the housing market.

My post is based on the fact that if I was a FHB and looking for a house as a home rather than an investment, I would be buying one right now. To me it seems like a great time to buy a home. Prices are down, the feds are giving you $21k and you would not be paying stamp duty. That all looks good to me.

Property should always be seen as a long term option.
The $21k is for first home buyers who are building a new house. $14k if you are first home buyer buying an established property.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I think there's still a lot more bad news to come out of America regarding bad debt which will continue through next year and will affect the rest of the world including Oz. We've decided to give it another 12 months before taking the plunge - hopefully by then prices and interest rates will have dropped even more, and I'll have found a more secure job!!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great article here from today's Australian...
Any of the bulls like to comment about the inadequacies in the argument?

House of credit cards tumbles down

(It's a pity that the graphs from the print edition aren't included - one of them is particularly eye-watering)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

Waiting between 6 to 12 months seems like the sensible option to me.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

(It's a pity that the graphs from the print edition aren't included - one of them is particularly eye-watering)
I've noticed some of the BE bulls go remarkably quiet since Rio dropped its bombshell!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Please please look past the easy cash and see this for what it is.

This is to protect the BANKS from collapse, not to 'help' FHBs.

At the moment developers owe banks money (construction loans) for homes they can't sell. The government needs to transfer this debt so that individuals owe the banks money (in the form of mortgages) instead. This will be perceived by the stock market as less risky.

Why else do you get a higher grant for a newly-built existing home than for one that is already lived-in? It's to offload this new housing stock not increase the total number of homes in the country.

Keep your money in the bank (i.e a guaranteed 'safe house') and wait for the proverbial to hit the fan after June when the grants revert to their existing levels.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say that we got compeltely hooked on watching the HiFX charts chuntering away and decided what we will need to get a pretty good start in Oz when we move and just bought at 2.56. We always said that we wouldn't move until it reached 2.50, so consider ourselves lucky to have achieved this and don't want to risk not moving by not buying now. Even if it now rockets up we won't regret it, as you have to make a decision based on a point in time. Not so long ago we remember it being 2.07. It's nice now to not have the stress of waiting to see what happens. Paid the deposit and now just have to get the rest together in the next year as we Forwarded.

Have to say that I was singularly unimpressed with HiFX. Their customer care was rubbish, with us being left on hold for ages and constantly being 'put through'. We decided to fix at a good rate and after being messed about for so long the operator said she would get someone to ring us back. Half an hour later I chased them up and was again kept waiting ages. Meanwhile the online rate dropped by 2c - not impressed.
My password was entered incorrectly at their end meaning that I couldn't log on and the person I spoke to had the cheek to say that I must have input the security question answer incorrectly! Not good.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:33 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Sobering reading if you're one of the house price/economic optimists...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunatley no one knows whats gonna happen. My thoughts are that with the new FHBs (which I thought was for new builds only to help the building companies too but was only listening with 1 ear as it is irrelavant to me) and the prediction that interest rates will drop a further 2 % by easter, that house prices will rise a little and then stop. But I am no property person and is only my thoughts. We bought 2 years ago so ours is not worth as much now but that only matters when we need to sell, and if we are buying again then the other property will also be lower than it would have been too.

Ahh we are all right to a certain degree.

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Jo
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've noticed some of the BE bulls go remarkably quiet since Rio dropped its bombshell!
I don't think its a case for not being optomistic about Australia and how it fare. Nobody has ever claimed we will be immune from a global crisis. However, I believe we are, have and will fare better than a lot of other nations.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:17 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I don't think its a case for not being optomistic about Australia and how it fare. Nobody has ever claimed we will be immune from a global crisis. However, I believe we are, have and will fare better than a lot of other nations.
And that's the truth