Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

markfisher61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

OK, I changed to simply "OneWorld" with a Qantas login.

I get:
LHR-> PER whole October - nothing in Y,C or F
LHR-> KUL - ditto
LHR-> HKG - ditto
LHR -> DOH - ditto

I'm inclined to agree with Spouse of Scouse that the change from Star Alliance to Oneworld has been a bad step backward, at least for those of us in Perth. I checked Star Alliance before and there was far more availability.

I am now wondering what to do with the 200k miles that I have.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markfisher61
OK, I changed to simply "OneWorld" with a Qantas login.

I get:
LHR-> PER whole October - nothing in Y,C or F
LHR-> KUL - ditto
LHR-> HKG - ditto
LHR -> DOH - ditto
OneWorld method (QF) doesn't show MH availability. I have my doubts about it's QR accuracy as well...I only checked 1st Oct but there was plenty of LHR-DOH availability that day.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:19 am
Just Joined

So it seems that only the BA/OneWorld method shows MH availability, but not what is actually available (at least from US Airways). It may be time to give up and just buy a ticket. I'm getting nowhere.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 169 pages. I've read quite a few but I must admit I could do with a few pointers as to where to start.

We're planning to fly BNE to MAN, NCL or LON 25/9/14, returning 2.5 weeks later ideally via HKG. Can anyone point me to or post a quick summary of how to start looking for a fare, previously we've done Business on Emirates and have collected a good stash of points by using an EK credit card but their upgrades seem to be getting harder to obtain. In the meantime I'll keep reading!

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
their upgrades seem to be getting harder to obtain.
Business award seats are probably getting snapped up by people burning Qantas FFPs these days!

This thread is focused on buying points to burn for flights (OneWorld and Star Alliance, so no Emirates of course). Have you done that at all? Or just accumulated Skywards miles? Knowing how many points you have and in which programs is essential to offer any advice.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

I got one trip booked, from LHR to Buenos Aires return. Strange thing is that the flights I booked show as not available on KVS Tool ,whether using the OneWorld or BA-OneWorld methods. And some flights that showed up as available were not in fact.

Booking LHR -> PER is still a problem. MH is the only carrier with availability in the first half of October (in any class), but when the agent tried to book the seats she was shown, MH did not confirm. The agent thinks they might be planning a schedule change - maybe cutting flights due to a fall-off in passengers? I'm hoping some more seats may come up if I wait a while - October is not a particularly high-traffic month, I think.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Business award seats are probably getting snapped up by people burning Qantas FFPs these days!

This thread is focused on buying points to burn for flights (OneWorld and Star Alliance, so no Emirates of course). Have you done that at all? Or just accumulated Skywards miles? Knowing how many points you have and in which programs is essential to offer any advice.
Between us we have 280,000 Skywards miles and have enjoyed Emirates in the past, especially business, but they've changed their upgrade policy. Now a non-flex econ ticket can only try for an upgrade on departure date, to apply in advance you need to buy a flex ticket which is about 30% more and still no guarantee of getting the upgrade.

So, we've got enough Skywards points to upgrade (expensive) econ tix to business but no guarantee we'll be able to use them, hence me wondering if I can buy miles on another carrier and do the trip business a different way.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by freebo
Between us we have 280,000 Skywards miles and have enjoyed Emirates in the past, especially business, but they've changed their upgrade policy. Now a non-flex econ ticket can only try for an upgrade on departure date, to apply in advance you need to buy a flex ticket which is about 30% more and still no guarantee of getting the upgrade.

So, we've got enough Skywards points to upgrade (expensive) econ tix to business but no guarantee we'll be able to use them, hence me wondering if I can buy miles on another carrier and do the trip business a different way.
I suggest reading past posts on this thread, As you may have seen, I am finding no availability with OneWorld (using US Airways Dividend Miles) in the September/October timeframe.

Others have suggested using Avianca's "Lifemiles", but I have no idea how successful that would be on this route.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest reading past posts on this thread, As you may have seen, I am finding no availability with OneWorld (using US Airways Dividend Miles) in the September/October timeframe.

Others have suggested using Avianca's "Lifemiles", but I have no idea how successful that would be on this route.
I wondered how you were going with this, Mark. Still no luck?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wondered how you were going with this, Mark. Still no luck?
No, even the MH flights that show up (these are the only flights that I can see) are not confirmed by MH when US Airways tries to book them.

In October there is nothing else, not even in economy. In September, I found a couple of flights in economy, but nothing in Business or First. In August, QF has a few options, but they go via MEL - I'm not sure if business was available as I was just browsing. I need end Sept or beginning of Oct. flights.

I am holding off now on the guess that more flights will become available closer to the date. Based on my searches of Aug and Sept that does seem possible. I'll try again next week.

The BA first class to Buenos Aires was a good deal though - the very same flights are being sold on Expedia for $25,000! I estimate I paid about $2,500 in miles and another $1,100 in so called "fees and taxes". Even the cheapest seats in first (via Dubai, not exactly the shortest route) cost $10,000.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

No, even the MH flights that show up (these are the only flights that I can see) are not confirmed by MH when US Airways tries to book them.
My feeling is that the seats are there and bookable, but sometimes its all about getting a competent agent. Explanations like the one they gave you are classic US agent story telling. Multiple calls are sometimes necessary...don't stay on the line for hours with someone who can't work the system.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
My feeling is that the seats are there and bookable, but sometimes its all about getting a competent agent. Explanations like the one they gave you are classic US agent story telling. Multiple calls are sometimes necessary...don't stay on the line for hours with someone who can't work the system.
Thanks for the advice.

My feeling was that the agent was helpful. During the same phone call, she found me flights to get to Buenos Aires which did not show up using KVSTool. It took nearly an hour, but she got the job done.

Anyway, I'll try again next week.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

treefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nicetreefingers is just really nice

Hi,

Just got an email with new offer & having recently completed my first awards trip I would love to slowly (& cheaply) accumulate more. So is there anything from stopping me buying 30000 miles today then gift them back & fourth between my partner whenever a new bonus offer comes out?

We wont be having another trip for at least 12 - 18 months & this way we could accumulate the miles for just over US$3000, 30k miles ($1050) then 4 lots of Gifting 50k miles (4 x $500)

Hope this makes sense, its early & my brain is only half awake. I am sure there is a more efficient way of doing it?

Buy or gift Get or give
10,000 - 19,000 miles 50% bonus miles

20,000 - 29,000 miles 75% bonus miles

30,000 - 50,000 miles 100% bonus miles

Last edited by treefingers; Aug 6th 2014 at 10:13 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 11:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

MAS shares have been taken off the stock market, and private shareholders will be bought out by the State ahead of plans for a full restructure of the airline
Malaysia Airlines shares suspended as state buyout is announced | Business | theguardian.com
Old Aug 8th 2014, 11:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
MAS shares have been taken off the stock market, and private shareholders will be bought out by the State ahead of plans for a full restructure of the airline
Malaysia Airlines shares suspended as state buyout is announced | Business | theguardian.com
I'm flying MH to KUL next weekend...the airfare was less than $550 return booked at short notice...yes I'll be sitting up the back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.