Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Great news Koolcat! The taxes do seem high compared to what Safin paid on the same route...I think my US$450 for MEL to EDI via Frankfurt still wins the prize though! They can and do get these things wrong sometimes so worth checking.

As others have said type of cabin 'Unconfirmed' is normal.

I did think the wrong name thing sounded a little dodgy put having had a quick look it seems it's generally accepted with a note in the booking...the name in your passport is used for all security checks etc.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:09 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take your paultry US$450 in tax and raise you to $850 for Singapore Award redemption BNE to LHR in November.

Apparently Singapore Air had an awful hedging position with fuel, so if you redeem through them directly you end up paying for that.

Another reason that this deal has been so good comparatively.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:13 am
SVG
Banned

SVG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Aussie, You and me both : )
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'll take your paultry US$450 in tax and raise you to $850 for Singapore Award redemption BNE to LHR in November.

Apparently Singapore Air had an awful hedging position with fuel, so if you redeem through them directly you end up paying for that.

Another reason that this deal has been so good comparatively.
Gotta love Krisflyer eh...you must feel so loved!

Did the flight cost you 8.7 million miles as well?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Gotta love Krisflyer eh...you must feel so loved!

Did the flight cost you 8.7 million miles as well?
Yes sadly. Was about 210000 KF miles to book business to LHR. On the plus it is the A380 on the London sector. I hate kris flyer with a passion. Singapore air operates the meanest and arrogant of frequent flyer programs but availability is usually a lot better than most, but boy you pay for it.

I has about 90000 sat in the account that were going to expire so had to top it up to use them. Will be the last time I fly SQ though. Am working on my virgin Atlantic now which is easy to get gold and partners nicely domestically with virgin blue with lounge access and can spend miles on air nz and although not true star alliance the benefits from an au based flyer perspective are very good.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Centurion
I has about 90000 sat in the account that were going to expire so had to top it up to use them. Will be the last time I fly SQ though. Am working on my virgin Atlantic now which is easy to get gold and partners nicely domestically with virgin blue with lounge access and can spend miles on air nz and although not true star alliance the benefits from an au based flyer perspective are very good.
Found out the other day that there is a Star Alliance program out there which will get you gold status for ONE return Aus - UK economy flight on Singapore Airlines! Details...

They give you *Silver for 4,000 miles! Then 16k on top of that for *G.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

If anyone has a long layover in Heathrow I have just booked Yotel. In terminal 4 but great looking places that you book for blocks of 4 hours! I just couldn't stand 5 hours in Heathrow without being able to shower so this was a great option and in the terminal itself (ok, I need to transfer from 3 to 4 but no biggie).

Too much doubt as to whether or not I'd get entry into the Star Alliance Lounge in Terminal 1 plus I'd be mortified if I was turned away!

Here is the link.

http://www.yotel.com/
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I've used this - it was brilliant
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows if travel insurance generally covers Award flights?

I need to book internal flights from Whitsundays to Brisbane and London Heathrow to Newcastle (there is no star alliance members that cover these locations so I couldnt add my internal flights to my BNE-BKK-LHR US Airlines Award return Award booking)

Im coming to the UK in winter...and just thinking what if the internals get delayed/cancelled (LHR-NCL is with British Airways) (or if one of us was ill)and I didnt make it to LHR for my return flight? US Airways did say once I commenced the first leg on my trip there is no way of changing the ticket....just wondering if travel insurance would cover the return of the trip or if I would have to pay a one way fare back?

As an aside, I rang Thai Airways Australia today to ask for a seat assignment - the Customer Services Rep was so rude!! Apparantly our seats had alreay been assigned when the US Airways booking was made, and she wouldnt let me change the seats we had been allocated (I like sitting at the back of a section rather than the front) - her opinion was 'all of the seats are the same' so 'no Im not prepared to change them'

Any help/advice about travel insurance greatfully recieved

Koolcat
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:29 am
Just Joined

linabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Koolcat
As an aside, I rang Thai Airways Australia today to ask for a seat assignment - the Customer Services Rep was so rude!! Apparantly our seats had alreay been assigned when the US Airways booking was made, and she wouldnt let me change the seats we had been allocated (I like sitting at the back of a section rather than the front) - her opinion was 'all of the seats are the same' so 'no Im not prepared to change them'
Sorry, can't help with your main question but regarding the seat assignment - I'd suggest calling back and speaking to someone else. I called the TA office in Brisbane and spoke to a girl called Kelly, who was fab - cheerful, polite and very helpful. She also said that seats had been allocated when they were booked (which US Airways didn't mention), but there was no problem changing them, she gave good advice when asked...great customer service . You must have got someone having a really bad day, but as what they told you is clearly not the case, there's no excuse for such rude behaviour. Try again, and I hope you have better luck next time!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by linabey
Sorry, can't help with your main question but regarding the seat assignment - I'd suggest calling back and speaking to someone else.
Yup, definitely call back & speak to someone else.

As for the insurance for frequent flyer flights...a bit of a grey area. I know Qantas sells insurance from QBE which covers refund of points / value on cancellation but when I've looked it was very pricey. You would obviously covered for inconvenience en route but cancellation could be dodgy.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

[As for the insurance for frequent flyer flights...a bit of a grey area. I know Qantas sells insurance from QBE which covers refund of points / value on cancellation but when I've looked it was very pricey. You would obviously covered for inconvenience en route but cancellation could be dodgy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies guys

I think I will call TA back..hopefully not the same woman - I wish I had taken her name so I could hang up if she answers ha ha

Thanks for the advice on the insurance...I think my best option is to get to both Brisbane/London the day before the flights to eliminate any chance of missing them!!

(Ive just had a quick look at the QBE insurance - $618 to cover each person on the trip!!)

I will give US Airways a ring and find out if there are any options available for anyone who may be unwell and unable to fly on their planned return flight...just incase any of us are unfortunate enough to be in this position - I will let you know the outcome

Thanks again

Koolcat

Last edited by Koolcat; Jul 20th 2010 at 9:48 am. Reason: Ive just rang US Airways, if you miss the flight for any reason including illness there is NO option to reschedule.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough

hi,

I just signed up but cant buy and miles until my account has been active for 12 days, and the offer expires in 8 (31st of July) anyone have any idea if they will extend the offer.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by k974
hi,

I just signed up but cant buy and miles until my account has been active for 12 days, and the offer expires in 8 (31st of July) anyone have any idea if they will extend the offer.

Thanks
It almost certainly won't be extended past 31 July. Going on past experiences though there is a fairly high chance that 'Share Miles' and get 100% bonus will start on 1 Aug. You'll need 2 accounts set up though to take advantage of this. The cost will also be higher.

The offer might be repeated though...it's run 3 times in the last year after all. Last year it ran 1 Nov - 31 Dec.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick reply, please excuse my igornace but how does share miles works, i've just got my head around the buying 50,000 and getting 50,000 free, sorry not great with this sort of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.