Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jun 26th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

thank you so much !
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Hi all ,

just wondering if any of you that have mastered the ANA website have a spare few minutes to do a check for me. I have spent the best part of the last 3 hours trying to work out how to work that blasted website and im no further forward

Myself and other half are hoping to return to Northumberland this xmas..so looking for award flights around about 4th Dec returning approx 14th January. we're up in the Whitsundays in Queensland so Brisbane to Newcastle/Edinburgh would be ideal, however we can easily get to Sydney/Manchester/Heathrow ok as we can pick up a domestic flight no problem...

Absolutley wonderful if anyone can help out

Many thanks, Koolcat
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Best I can do is on Thai and BMI business class. I'm just an amateur, there might be better routes/times than that though.

5 Dec TG474 BNE - BKK 14.20 - 20.30
6 Dec TG970 BKK - ZRH 00.15 - 06.45
6 Dec BD1608 ZRH - EDI 14.25 - 15.45
(or with Swiss LX394 ZRH - MAN 12.15 - 13.10)

14 Jan BD061 EDI - LHR 16.35 - 19.05
(need to check how much time you need to transfer at Heathrow, there are earlier (and indeed later) flights EDI - LHR)
14 Jan TG917 LHR - BKK 21.35 - 15.55 (+1)
15 Jan TG473 BKK - BNE 23.59 - 12.05 (+1)

Quite a long time at Zurich on the way out and Bangkok on the way back though.

To Newcastle would require another change of plane.

It really is worth persevering with the ANA website, but tell us if there is something specific you can't make work or have a look on the Flyertalk website for more tips.

Last edited by louie; Jun 26th 2010 at 8:37 pm. Reason: Add something!!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
The number is +1 800-428-4322.

It will probably be closed right now - should be open from 10pm tonight - although I've called before during closed hours and someone picked up and I booker tickets!
That number is free through Skype if you have it.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, you might as well be flying than waiting at Zurich Airport. So could go:

6 Dec LX780 ZRH - BRU 12.40 - 14.00
6 Dec SN2189 BRU - NCL 15.35 - 16.00 (that's with Brussels Airlines!??)

Would get you into Newcastle 15 minutes later than the flight to Edinburgh, although still nearly three hours later than the one to Manchester.....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Thinking about it, you might as well be flying than waiting at Zurich Airport. So could go:

Would get you into Newcastle 15 minutes later than the flight to Edinburgh, although still nearly three hours later than the one to Manchester.....
The only trouble with adding more sectors is generally more fuel surcharges and taxes...can make quite a big difference.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by louie

Ah Louie you are a star - thank you so much for looking at the ANA website for me - I really appreciated it Those flight times are spot on - Im thrilled that there are award flights available in December!!

Thank you again so much, that was really lovely of you

Koolcat
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

OMG................................ Biggest Thank you to BCWorld.

I have just booked and had the most amazing lady on the phone for about 30 mins, Fly outta Sydney on the 13th DEC and back on the 8th of JAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are soooooooooooooo happy first time home for 4 1/2 years Christmas in Aberdeen / Bournemouth
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedons
OMG................................ Biggest Thank you to BCWorld.

I have just booked and had the most amazing lady on the phone for about 30 mins, Fly outta Sydney on the 13th DEC and back on the 8th of JAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are soooooooooooooo happy first time home for 4 1/2 years Christmas in Aberdeen / Bournemouth
Great!

Hope you enjoy Xmas up in Aberdeen...I was up there just after New Year this year...lots & lots of snow!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Has anyone been through Terminal 3 at LHR recently? Can't seem to work out what facilities there are for business class passengers (flying Thai) before heading through to flight connections and terminal 1.

There seems to be an arrivals lounge but that is after baggage reclaim. Strictly speaking I do have a long wait in London at around 5 hours but I'd rather stay within the terminal buildings.

Just wondering if any lounges have showering facilities. I know most will do some food, drinks and have internet but a shower is always good!

Also, do they provide shampoo and the likes or do I need to find travel sizes?

Thanks if anyone know sthe answer!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by eeksy
Has anyone been through Terminal 3 at LHR recently? Can't seem to work out what facilities there are for business class passengers (flying Thai) before heading through to flight connections and terminal 1.

There seems to be an arrivals lounge but that is after baggage reclaim. Strictly speaking I do have a long wait in London at around 5 hours but I'd rather stay within the terminal buildings.

Just wondering if any lounges have showering facilities. I know most will do some food, drinks and have internet but a shower is always good!

Also, do they provide shampoo and the likes or do I need to find travel sizes?

Thanks if anyone know sthe answer!
I'm not sure that you will have the use of an arrivals lounge. If you are transferring to a bmi domestic flight at T1 then I don't think that lounge has any showers I'm afraid. Generally if there are showers, smellies are provided.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

linabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Another set of thanks (and karma) to bcworld for this info - I've booked BC flights from Bris to the UK with Thai in mid-September (total incl. taxes and fees about AUD2500! Am quite excited (is that sad?), having never flown business class before. A couple of queries for those who've been through the process already:
- When I try to look up the details of the flight on the US Airways website, basically 'computer says no'. The reservation is listed in 'My Account', but when I click 'View' it can't be accessed regardless of whether I use confirmation number, ticket number or whatever. Is this normal, or should I be worried that the tickets aren't actually booked...? (They did send the confirmation/itinerary details via email when I booked.)
- Also, I haven't yet called Thai to choose a seat - have been looking on seatguru and there appear to be a couple of options of which plane it might be - presumably old and new versions. Any idea which one I should be looking at for BNE-BKK-LHR and back, or this liable to change anyway up until we leave the tarmac? They don't look hugely different anyway, so I don't suppose it matters much.(?)
- Lounges - am I right in thinking that I can use the ANZ lounge at Brisbane (any better options?), Thai's own lounge at BKK (there seem to be different ones on different concourses - can I find out where I'll be, or is BKK airport not big enough for this to be a problem?), then ANA or Singapore lounge at LHR on the way back? I'm travelling on my own so don't want to feel daft getting turned away from the wrong place, but don't want to find out afterwards that I've missed somewhere fantastic to while away a few hours!
This is way too long for what was meant to be a couple of quick queries - sorry folks, and TIA for any advice!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

This tells you about the planes used out of Australia and this the planes used out of Britain.

I never got an email from US Airways but I could see the flights in the frequent flyer section of their website under "your account", although it doesn't/didn't show the class. However when I rang Thai about seat allocation the "confirmation code" meant nothing to them and I had to ring US Airways back to get the Thai booking reference.

Not sure about lounges yet (but would be interested to hear the answers) other than to say that Bangkok Airport is huge! From what I've gleaned there are several different lounges available to Thai passengers in Bangkok.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:00 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linabey
Another set of thanks (and karma) to bcworld for this info - I've booked BC flights from Bris to the UK with Thai in mid-September (total incl. taxes and fees about AUD2500! Am quite excited (is that sad?), having never flown business class before. A couple of queries for those who've been through the process already:
- When I try to look up the details of the flight on the US Airways website, basically 'computer says no'. The reservation is listed in 'My Account', but when I click 'View' it can't be accessed regardless of whether I use confirmation number, ticket number or whatever. Is this normal, or should I be worried that the tickets aren't actually booked...? (They did send the confirmation/itinerary details via email when I booked.)
- Also, I haven't yet called Thai to choose a seat - have been looking on seatguru and there appear to be a couple of options of which plane it might be - presumably old and new versions. Any idea which one I should be looking at for BNE-BKK-LHR and back, or this liable to change anyway up until we leave the tarmac? They don't look hugely different anyway, so I don't suppose it matters much.(?)
- Lounges - am I right in thinking that I can use the ANZ lounge at Brisbane (any better options?), Thai's own lounge at BKK (there seem to be different ones on different concourses - can I find out where I'll be, or is BKK airport not big enough for this to be a problem?), then ANA or Singapore lounge at LHR on the way back? I'm travelling on my own so don't want to feel daft getting turned away from the wrong place, but don't want to find out afterwards that I've missed somewhere fantastic to while away a few hours!
This is way too long for what was meant to be a couple of quick queries - sorry folks, and TIA for any advice!
Most star alliance flights use the Air New Zealand Lounge there as the lounge contracts to deal with them. Its small but not too bad. Selection of food according to the time of day of travel and decent array of drinks with the obvious penchant for NZ wine.

There is however the Singapore Airlines lounge you can use as well if its open when you fly. Its small, as SQ flights from BNE only have a single business cabin.

Those are the only two choices. I think the best two at Brisbane are the Emirates Lounge and Qantas Club, neither of which you can access on a TG ticket I'm afraid.

As a tip, the SQ lounge at LHR is dire in the business class section, first isn't so bad. I normally while away my time at the London Lounge - Air Canada/SAS joint offering. It's very IKEA in design I feel, but the foods much better.

Enjoy your flight. If you've never flown business or first you are in for a treat. It makes the journey enjoyable.

I've just bagged myself a 2 day return BNE to LHR on Singapore using FF (not the US miles deals I hasten to add - SQ dont allow partner airlines to play nice and there was no availability in First on Thai) at Christmas week to surprise my Mum and do the festive Harrods Stilton cheese run.

Welcome to the wonderful world of frequent flyers hunting points

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 5th 2010 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Hi Linabey...can't believe someone else is booked up!

It's quite normal for the website to baulk at the various confirmation numbers...if you have a ticket number showing all should be well. Give it a day or so and call up Thai for a seat assignment, then you'll know all is well for sure. BTW I didn't need a TG reference when I called them, just gave them my name and dates.

I'll defer to Centurion's knowledge of the BNE lounges...I used the Air NZ lounge in Melbourne...was actually very nice. Thai do use the London Lounge at Heathrow...you may be able to use others but I've heard the Singapore business lounge is pretty ordinary, was in the First class section once and it was far from impressive.

I'm guessing you're booked on a day flight from BNE - BKK as the night flight seems to have gone permanently unavailable. This flight is always operated by 777 (-200) I think which has the latest seat product. BKK to LHR should be the 747 (listed as 744) which also has a good product, I found it better than the 777 for some reason I can't put my finger on. On the 747 I'd ask for upper deck and preferably row 16 or behind - further forward the luggage bins are very narrow and even some cabin bags are a tight squeeze.

BKK airport is huge and it's a very long walk between the various lounges in the different concourses...some of them are definitely better than others, unfortunately I can't really remember which! Quick google should work that one out...the ones immedately after the check in counters are good, but may be a long walk from your gate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.