Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Burst pipes back in the UK?

Burst pipes back in the UK?

Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burst pipes back in the UK?

I just found out last night that my pipes have burst in the loft of the house I still own in the UK, long story short all is well and my neighbours rallied round to help my tenant get all of the water mopped up etc. I'm truly blessed to have such brilliant friends!!!

Anyhoo, this then drew my attention to my insurance policy with Endsleigh, if I'd had to claim the excess on burst pipes would've been £500!!! EEEEK! My policy is due for renewal so I must get that changed! So check yours people!

Also, can anyone confirm or deny this? According to my neighbour's Dad whose a builder, our houses being less than 5 years old, should have 'firewalls' or something so water shouldn't travel from one house into the next like it did with my incident, is this true?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burst pipes back in the UK?

Don't know answer to your question, but I have just been informed of burst pipes in my house back in UK too.

Thankfully not in the loft though.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your pipes!

Also check insurance policies for burst pipes, I've heard that some companies won't pay up if people have turned the heating off and gone away and the pipes have burst.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

We've just came back after 3.5 weeks in Oz with no problems. Although we did leave the heating on a timer.

3 days back and sitting back on a Friday night and we've water coming down the chimmey in a two story house. Lucky we caught it in time as it was a 22mm mains in the loft which was just about to seperate from a stop tap. It would have made a mess especially as we had just had all the walls plastered and new carpets just before we left.

Why does it always happen on a Friday night when most of the plumbers are in the pub.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
We've just came back after 3.5 weeks in Oz with no problems. Although we did leave the heating on a timer.

3 days back and sitting back on a Friday night and we've water coming down the chimmey in a two story house. Lucky we caught it in time as it was a 22mm mains in the loft which was just about to seperate from a stop tap. It would have made a mess especially as we had just had all the walls plastered and new carpets just before we left.

Why does it always happen on a Friday night when most of the plumbers are in the pub.
Not good eh! I've had a quote from an insurer for £7 more a month, but they offer nil excess across the board, sounds very tempting!!!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Not good eh! I've had a quote from an insurer for £7 more a month, but they offer nil excess across the board, sounds very tempting!!!

Is the price you got for landlords insurance.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:22 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by billymacker
Is the price you got for landlords insurance.
Yes, I'm currently paying £13 a month, this new policy will be £20, a small price to pay for piece of mind though, if you ask me!