BundyMum update

Old Jun 26th 2005, 3:27 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BundyMum update

Afternoon boys and girls....

Thought I'd give you a quick update on the genetics testing because of all the lovely PMs I've been getting.

To be honest, the didn't tell me anything I didn't already know - let's face it, having lived with the shadow of breast cancer at my back every day for the last 18 months, there's not a lot I don't know about the subject! However, we went through my entire family tree and came to the conclusion that, at present, I fall just outside the High Risk category because my aunt's breast cancer doesn't *count* as a first line relative and you need two rellies (mum/sister/daughter) to count. As I suspected. But as I'm borderline, and because I'm apparently 'intelligently engaged' with the issues, they have allowed me to undertake genetic testing, to find out if I have one of the genes and, either way, to be able to take part in all screening programmes and future medical developments. In other words, I argued my way into it because if there's anything that can be done to protect myself, I want to be right up there at the front of the queue!

So, now I wait while they test my mum for the gene before they test me. The decisions that may follow could take years to make, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Meanwhile, I'm cracking on with enjoying life.

Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you. Well done for getting the testing. Just don't let the posibilities play a huge part in your life. As you say live life to the full and don't worry about what ifs. Hope BM is doing well.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bundy

Thought I'd give you a quick update on the genetics testing because of all the lovely PMs I've been getting.

To be honest, the didn't tell me anything I didn't already know - let's face it, having lived with the shadow of breast cancer at my back every day for the last 18 months, there's not a lot I don't know about the subject! However, we went through my entire family tree and came to the conclusion that, at present, I fall just outside the High Risk category because my aunt's breast cancer doesn't *count* as a first line relative and you need two rellies (mum/sister/daughter) to count. As I suspected. But as I'm borderline, and because I'm apparently 'intelligently engaged' with the issues, they have allowed me to undertake genetic testing, to find out if I have one of the genes and, either way, to be able to take part in all screening programmes and future medical developments. In other words, I argued my way into it because if there's anything that can be done to protect myself, I want to be right up there at the front of the queue!

So, now I wait while they test my mum for the gene before they test me. The decisions that may follow could take years to make, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Meanwhile, I'm cracking on with enjoying life.

Well done Bundy for actually making a solid argument. Either way, I think you will feel more comfortable. Sometimes the 'unknown' leads to more fear.

As you say, live life to the full but with a 'real' perspective - we all have fears, but they shouldn't get the better of us. No-one knows what the future will bring, which is why life is so precious and a positive frame of mind goes a long way.

Have you had those fish and chips for me yet ?

Take care
Surfdude
Old Jun 29th 2005, 3:35 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by bundy

I cant imagine anything holding you back Bundy.

If I could have half your attitude I would be happy.

Keep us posted.

Love Sam

(big hug)