Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future
Default BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

Hi Guys

I hoping some of you may have done the BTEC National Diploma in computer Studys and completed the course in 1990.

I'm trying to get a transcript for the course, tried the college edxcel etc but they dont have one. Lets pray to god one of you may have it.

regards

jon
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

Have you got the certificate?

It might be possible to include the certificate plus a statuatory declaration of what was included in the course. Have you got an agent?....this is definitely the sort of question I would ask them.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a BTEC National Certificate in Computer Studies and didn't even have the certificate anymore. Got in touch with Edxcel who provided that, but I did know what modules made up the course. The ACS didn't need to know anymore than that in my case, but that's probaby because the BTEC National Certificate didn't count for much in their eyes.

Good luck
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

jonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant futurejonsm has a brilliant future

Hi

thanks for that, have you completed the ACS assesment ?, what code did you apply on.

regards

jon

Originally Posted by Salli
Have you got the certificate?

It might be possible to include the certificate plus a statuatory declaration of what was included in the course. Have you got an agent?....this is definitely the sort of question I would ask them.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a BTEC National Certificate in Computer Studies and didn't even have the certificate anymore. Got in touch with Edxcel who provided that, but I did know what modules made up the course. The ACS didn't need to know anymore than that in my case, but that's probaby because the BTEC National Certificate didn't count for much in their eyes.

Good luck
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
yep, we're all done. Had to do the RPL for the ACS (though I think they may have changed what constitutes an RPL nowadays), filed our Visa application, got everything granted and we move down under November 17th!!!!

We went for skilled independent visas (subclass 136) ASCO Code 2231-79 IT Consultant. Had to do the RPL as I don't have a degree in IT but I've been working in IT since 1987 (went straight from schoool). Can't say that the RPL was fun to put together, but it's a wonderful document to have...just need to keep it updated now for future reference
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi again

did you use a agent or do it on your own, any tips for the rpl

jon

Hi,
yep, we're all done. Had to do the RPL for the ACS (though I think they may have changed what constitutes an RPL nowadays), filed our Visa application, got everything granted and we move down under November 17th!!!!

We went for skilled independent visas (subclass 136) ASCO Code 2231-79 IT Consultant. Had to do the RPL as I don't have a degree in IT but I've been working in IT since 1987 (went straight from schoool). Can't say that the RPL was fun to put together, but it's a wonderful document to have...just need to keep it updated now for future reference
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

We used an agent (Annie Weir at Global Visas www.globalvisas.com). She was fantastic and there is no way I'd have managed to complete the RPL satisfactorily without her. I just had no idea on the amount of detail required. Annie read my RPL countless times and came back with suggestions on things and asked pertinent questions to make sure that everything was in there. She is extrememly knowledgeable about what needs to go in and was also able to give mockups of some of the trickier sections that maybe aren't so obvious as to what they're meant to contain.

When completing the RPL it is vital that you show what you learnt, not just what you did....it's far more indepth than a CV. I think my RPL ran to about 80 pages.

There are people on this board have got through the RPL without the help of an agent, but for us we didn't want to take any chances on being rejected as I was coming up on an age band when points would have been dropped....plus we were able to get our visa application in before the points changed...otherwise we'd have had to put bond money up.

Good luck completing the RPL if you have to go down this route. The only advice I would give you is to allow plenty of time....it takes ages to put the document together. Don't leave anything out, and back up as much as you can with any evidence (e.g. I had appraisal forms from my bosses going back to 1987 (I'm a bit of a hoarder!))

Good luck...it's worth it when you get the acceptance letter!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:41 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

BTEC HNC AND BTEC HND are accepted as valid certifications by the ACS, my HNC was compared to an Australian Diploma and was not required to do a RPL however this was 2 years ago and maybe the ACS have changed the line on this but it is worth checking.

As long as you have the certificate then this is fine for ACS.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I completed that in 1990.

lace
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

Sorry Jon it was in 1998 I did it put 1990 by mistake have the cert next to me though.

lace
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lacey

thanks for that I can only but try, what acs code did you apply for was it the computer professional else where, would really like to know what sort of thing you guys have submited.

regards

jon

Originally Posted by lacey21
Sorry Jon it was in 1998 I did it put 1990 by mistake have the cert next to me though.

lace
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi salli

thanks for that, I have about 50 pages done so far, started doing it just in case, need to pad it out abit more, and more ref to books etc i think. But its hard i cant remember what i did last week let alone 10 years ago. Also one of the company i work for, for 10 years is no longer around.

did you apply on the computer professional elsewhere clasification

regards

jon

We used an agent (Annie Weir at Global Visas www.globalvisas.com). She was fantastic and there is no way I'd have managed to complete the RPL satisfactorily without her. I just had no idea on the amount of detail required. Annie read my RPL countless times and came back with suggestions on things and asked pertinent questions to make sure that everything was in there. She is extrememly knowledgeable about what needs to go in and was also able to give mockups of some of the trickier sections that maybe aren't so obvious as to what they're meant to contain.

When completing the RPL it is vital that you show what you learnt, not just what you did....it's far more indepth than a CV. I think my RPL ran to about 80 pages.

There are people on this board have got through the RPL without the help of an agent, but for us we didn't want to take any chances on being rejected as I was coming up on an age band when points would have been dropped....plus we were able to get our visa application in before the points changed...otherwise we'd have had to put bond money up.

Good luck completing the RPL if you have to go down this route. The only advice I would give you is to allow plenty of time....it takes ages to put the document together. Don't leave anything out, and back up as much as you can with any evidence (e.g. I had appraisal forms from my bosses going back to 1987 (I'm a bit of a hoarder!))

Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi salli

thanks for that, I have about 50 pages done so far, started doing it just in case, need to pad it out abit more, and more ref to books etc i think. But its hard i cant remember what i did last week let alone 10 years ago. Also one of the company i work for, for 10 years is no longer around.

did you apply on the computer professional elsewhere clasification

regards

jon

Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Talking Re: BTec National Diploma in Computer Study's

Hi Jon,
I haven't applied under that becasue I didn't have enough points even though I will have a degree next year. I have taken a whole new career change.

Good luck with your application I hope it goes well.

Lace
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 3:25 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonsm
Hi Guys

I hoping some of you may have done the BTEC National Diploma in computer Studys and completed the course in 1990.

I'm trying to get a transcript for the course, tried the college edxcel etc but they dont have one. Lets pray to god one of you may have it.

regards

jon
Hi Jon I did the course in 1994/1995 if that is any good for you?

I didn't think it was a high enough qualification to use for entry.....thought HND or higher was required so I never claimed any points for myself

Sasha