BT Enginner wanting to emmigrate to AUZ

BT Enginner wanting to emmigrate to AUZ

Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Dannyboy42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BT Enginner wanting to emmigrate to AUZ

Hi i have just joined british expats and am looking for some info
im 42 and looking to move to sydney to be with my brother before
im 45 and wish to find out if i can emmigrate ..
im currently a BT engineer and have been 11 years work under ground
mostly on our larger cables . would i be able to emmigrate on what i have .

thanks in advance

Danny
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BT Enginner wanting to emmigrate to AUZ

Hi Danny and welcome to BE.

First place to start when considering emmigration is www.immi.gov.au. There is a visa wizard which can help to identify visas you may qualify for but just generally you may find it helpful to read around.

As you have mentioned your occupation I am going to assume that you are thinking of a skilled migrant visa. There is a lot changing in this area at the moment including a new skilled occuapations list coming into being on July 1st. The list is expected to be based upon the list below and the good news for you is that there are some telecommunications type of occupations that hopefully you will slot into.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ccupations.pdf

Skilled migration is based upon a points system, for a non sponsored visa you need 120 points which will be very difficuly for you to achieve at age 42. However as you have a brother in Australia, he could sponsor you if he is PR or citizen and that would mean you only need 100 points. Or you could find out if any of the states are sponsoring your occupation and this would also help with the points. Of the two options, the state sponsorship is probably more desirable than family sponsorship, especially if any of the states put your occupation on their State Migration Program. This would improve your processing priority.

We are expecting lots of announcements in the next few weeks. It would be well worth keeping an eye on the forum for announcements and in the meantime you could start investigating what your occupation's skills assessment would require as that is one of the first things you would need to do anyway.

I'll leave it here then, think I have waffled on enough.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dannyboy42

thanks in advance

Danny
Hello, I used to be with the Brighton CST, Then got a TO's post at the NMC in Cambridge. One of the Laptop roll out trainers when they got shot of the bricks for work manager. And moved to France Cant help with Aus but wanted to say Hi. Its a Good Forum and there is lots of valuble advice to be had. Didnt do much E- Side work other jumpering and dslam and Cisco work etc in the exchanges.
Welcome...

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 21st 2010 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Danny my husband was at BT and also had a brother to sponsor him in Oz.We went through Go Matilda who were really helpful and got us here!.Good luck.Sue.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petensue
Hi Danny my husband was at BT and also had a brother to sponsor him in Oz.We went through Go Matilda who were really helpful and got us here!.Good luck.Sue.
thankyou Sue had never heard of them till now and have found there address
etc , many thanks

Danny
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Danny and welcome to BE.

First place to start when considering emmigration is www.immi.gov.au. There is a visa wizard which can help to identify visas you may qualify for but just generally you may find it helpful to read around.

As you have mentioned your occupation I am going to assume that you are thinking of a skilled migrant visa. There is a lot changing in this area at the moment including a new skilled occuapations list coming into being on July 1st. The list is expected to be based upon the list below and the good news for you is that there are some telecommunications type of occupations that hopefully you will slot into.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ccupations.pdf

Skilled migration is based upon a points system, for a non sponsored visa you need 120 points which will be very difficuly for you to achieve at age 42. However as you have a brother in Australia, he could sponsor you if he is PR or citizen and that would mean you only need 100 points. Or you could find out if any of the states are sponsoring your occupation and this would also help with the points. Of the two options, the state sponsorship is probably more desirable than family sponsorship, especially if any of the states put your occupation on their State Migration Program. This would improve your processing priority.

We are expecting lots of announcements in the next few weeks. It would be well worth keeping an eye on the forum for announcements and in the meantime you could start investigating what your occupation's skills assessment would require as that is one of the first things you would need to do anyway.

I'll leave it here then, think I have waffled on enough.

Good luck.
Thankyou bermuda shorts for your welcome and all the info you provided you have been a big help and very thorough which i really need as im very green
and need to find out sooner rather than later if im in a position to take it any further ..

Many thanks

Danny
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Hello, I used to be with the Brighton CST, Then got a TO's post at the NMC in Cambridge. One of the Laptop roll out trainers when they got shot of the bricks for work manager. And moved to France Cant help with Aus but wanted to say Hi. Its a Good Forum and there is lots of valuble advice to be had. Didnt do much E- Side work other jumpering and dslam and Cisco work etc in the exchanges.
Welcome...
Thanks for your message am actually using one of those bt bricks to reply to to you on , also just had a letter from the union , its our ballot vote yes no to strike so i think you got out at a good time
all the best

Danny
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

A long shot this one..... you mention a brother in Australia but no other family. Are you married/in a de facto relationship? Are your parents still alive and if so, where do they live? Do you have any siblings other than your brother?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

If you make to Oz, you would be best looking a getting work with Telstra or Optus. I don't know for certain but I would guess that there would be lots of people BTers working for either.
Experienced fibre splicers might be usefull with the National broadband Network going on.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Belle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really nice

Hi i'm Ex -BT as well, but didn't come out as skilled. Was a ISDN 30 DTO then moved to Business Sales.

They are a fantastic company to work for (although the lack of payrises in recent years is not on)

Good luck with your Application
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
A long shot this one..... you mention a brother in Australia but no other family. Are you married/in a de facto relationship? Are your parents still alive and if so, where do they live? Do you have any siblings other than your brother?
Hi Louie yes my brother lives in sydney he is married to an auzzie , i do have other family one other nrother and a sister but they are all over here so i cant go down the sole sibling route but hope to be able to use him somehow .
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Belle83
Hi i'm Ex -BT as well, but didn't come out as skilled. Was a ISDN 30 DTO then moved to Business Sales.

They are a fantastic company to work for (although the lack of payrises in recent years is not on)

Good luck with your Application
Thanks very much
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Coryate
If you make to Oz, you would be best looking a getting work with Telstra or Optus. I don't know for certain but I would guess that there would be lots of people BTers working for either.
Experienced fibre splicers might be usefull with the National broadband Network going on.
i have looked at the skill requirement and could nt see fibre splicers do bt fibre engineers have more chance the a bt copper engineer do you know ,
thanks
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dannyboy42

thanks in advance

Danny
Danny,
I'm ex BT (Bermondsey, London). I came to Aus in 2007. I got through TRA on work experience - this is not available any more and more formal qualifications are neaded possibly NVQ3. I would definitly approach an agent for the skills part of your visa.

Bruce
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your help Bruce i still work out bermondsey exchange
on an e side group .. if you can think of anything else that might help please
let us know ..

cheers

Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.