Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Brits pushing Up The House Prices In Perth

Are Brits pushing Up The House Prices In Perth

Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Are Brits pushing Up The House Prices In Perth

Just a point for discussion, but as hopefully going to perth within the next 9 months I have been looking at houses to buy just to get an idea of whats available, seems to me that with lots of us going there we are possibly adding to the housing pressures as houses must be becoming scarce. All other areas, with the exception of Darwin seem to have levelled or are even falling. Thoughts please.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are Brits pushing Up The House Prices In Perth

Brits account for 10% of Perth's population ...

Go figure ...

I doubt it, however the Brits do target the Northern suburbs and prices maybe affected there ...

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Just a point for discussion, but as hopefully going to perth within the next 9 months I have been looking at houses to buy just to get an idea of whats available, seems to me that with lots of us going there we are possibly adding to the housing pressures as houses must be becoming scarce. All other areas, with the exception of Darwin seem to have levelled or are even falling. Thoughts please.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Brits are definitely a factor but only a small part of it. The resources boom means engineers and the like are piling into the state from all over Australia and the rest of the world. I spoke to a recruitment agent this week and she has just moved west as her husband has got such a job, for example.

As a result demand is exceeding supply so prices go up. Also property investors moved out of the eastern states when the market stagnated and have been buying properties out west instead. They don't cover their costs with rent so it is the price increases they are chasing.

I did read (via this site) recently that now prices are reaching east coast levels investors are likely to pull out and invest in Tazzie which is cheap at the moment. Also the backlog of property builds should be caught up with in a couple of years.

So I am now in a dilemma between whether to break my lease and get into the market quickly as prices have been rising nearly 20% pa or sit tight and wait for the pressure to ease and prices to drop slowly like elsewhere.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mickagnew
As per Darwin it is the resources boom.