Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:39 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Apart from photos/current passport we only need to send in the one page where we (and the countersignatory) fill out our details and sign, right? All the other pages - including the ones with a summary of all the personal details - can head straight to the shredder?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Apart from photos/current passport we only need to send in the one page where we (and the countersignatory) fill out our details and sign, right? All the other pages - including the ones with a summary of all the personal details - can head straight to the shredder?
Yes.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Phenomenem is an unknown quantity at this point

I can just send my current Australian Passport as is, can I? I don't like the thought of photocopying the entire passport, so much wasted paper.

Also I'm a bit weary of sending all these important documents overseas :S
Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phenomenem
I can just send my current Australian Passport as is, can I? I don't like the thought of photocopying the entire passport, so much wasted paper.

Also I'm a bit weary of sending all these important documents overseas :S
If you want to include your Australian passport then just photocopy the bio-data page.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you want to include your Australian passport then just photocopy the bio-data page.
I was under the impression I had to provide my current passport including blank pages?

From this page: Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us.

Last edited by Phenomenem; Nov 12th 2017 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression I had to provide my current passport including blank pages?

From this page: Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us.
In theory, yes, in practice, not so much. Did you provide an Australian passport the last time you renewed?
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

This is my first adult passport. So I can send a colour photocopy of the bio page and if they need more they will contact me?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first adult passport. So I can send a colour photocopy of the bio page and if they need more they will contact me?
Honestly, its up to you. There is a similar discussion running in the US forum at present, and I've seen it discussed often over the years. A few people send their foreign passports - but that can cause issues as you then can't travel, have no ID etc. Some send the bio page,as you suggest, and have no problem. Others (and I admit to falling into this category myself) accidentally tick the wrong box, forget that they have not put the other passport into the envelope and just don't send it - no problems there either
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Honestly, its up to you. There is a similar discussion running in the US forum at present, and I've seen it discussed often over the years. A few people send their foreign passports - but that can cause issues as you then can't travel, have no ID etc. Some send the bio page,as you suggest, and have no problem. Others (and I admit to falling into this category myself) accidentally tick the wrong box, forget that they have not put the other passport into the envelope and just don't send it - no problems there either
Thanks for the insights! I'll go with the colour photocopy, but I'm happy to send the passport if needed, I have no time to travel for the next year and a bit anyway!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the insights! I'll go with the colour photocopy, but I'm happy to send the passport if needed, I have no time to travel for the next year and a bit anyway!

Just causes a major issue for people like me who have no driving licence! That passport is my only ID
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Just causes a major issue for people like me who have no driving licence! That passport is my only ID
That's fair enough. Would getting a Keypass ID from Aus Post help? Seems to be marketed for people without driver's licences.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:54 am
Home and Happy

That's fair enough. Would getting a Keypass ID from Aus Post help? Seems to be marketed for people without driver's licences.
Not really worth it now I have the two passports, I'm used to carrying one everywhere! The only option when I came out years ago was something similar that Qld Transport did but they calmly told me that I was far too old to have one and should just learn to drive instead Hence I've just become permanently attached to my passports
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the Aus Passport pages copied but forgot to include them for three passports. New British passports arrived with no issue. This was in the last month.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Reporting back that I sent my documents on the 1st of December and received the new passport and documents back on the 21st of December.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Muddy Diver is an unknown quantity at this point

I too was worried about the time when applying to the UK but was very impressed with the reaction time (a little over two weeks)