Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:39 pm   #241
astera Male
Last resort... format c:/

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Apart from photos/current passport we only need to send in the one page where we (and the countersignatory) fill out our details and sign, right? All the other pages - including the ones with a summary of all the personal details - can head straight to the shredder?
astera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:07 am   #242
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by astera View Post
Apart from photos/current passport we only need to send in the one page where we (and the countersignatory) fill out our details and sign, right? All the other pages - including the ones with a summary of all the personal details - can head straight to the shredder?
Yes.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:13 am   #243
Just Joined

Phenomenem is an unknown quantity at this point

I can just send my current Australian Passport as is, can I? I don't like the thought of photocopying the entire passport, so much wasted paper.

Also I'm a bit weary of sending all these important documents overseas :S
Phenomenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:45 am   #244
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenem View Post
I can just send my current Australian Passport as is, can I? I don't like the thought of photocopying the entire passport, so much wasted paper.

Also I'm a bit weary of sending all these important documents overseas :S
If you want to include your Australian passport then just photocopy the bio-data page.
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 12:00 pm   #245
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
If you want to include your Australian passport then just photocopy the bio-data page.
I was under the impression I had to provide my current passport including blank pages?

From this page: Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us.

Last edited by Phenomenem; Nov 12th 2017 at 12:06 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 12:20 pm   #246
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was under the impression I had to provide my current passport including blank pages?

From this page: Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us.
In theory, yes, in practice, not so much. Did you provide an Australian passport the last time you renewed?
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:37 am   #247
Just Joined

This is my first adult passport. So I can send a colour photocopy of the bio page and if they need more they will contact me?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:22 am   #248
14 yrs as a Witchy Hermit
Premium Member

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is my first adult passport. So I can send a colour photocopy of the bio page and if they need more they will contact me?
Honestly, its up to you. There is a similar discussion running in the US forum at present, and I've seen it discussed often over the years. A few people send their foreign passports - but that can cause issues as you then can't travel, have no ID etc. Some send the bio page,as you suggest, and have no problem. Others (and I admit to falling into this category myself) accidentally tick the wrong box, forget that they have not put the other passport into the envelope and just don't send it - no problems there either
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"
Pollyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:43 am   #249
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Honestly, its up to you. There is a similar discussion running in the US forum at present, and I've seen it discussed often over the years. A few people send their foreign passports - but that can cause issues as you then can't travel, have no ID etc. Some send the bio page,as you suggest, and have no problem. Others (and I admit to falling into this category myself) accidentally tick the wrong box, forget that they have not put the other passport into the envelope and just don't send it - no problems there either
Thanks for the insights! I'll go with the colour photocopy, but I'm happy to send the passport if needed, I have no time to travel for the next year and a bit anyway!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:06 am   #250
Premium Member

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the insights! I'll go with the colour photocopy, but I'm happy to send the passport if needed, I have no time to travel for the next year and a bit anyway!

Just causes a major issue for people like me who have no driving licence! That passport is my only ID
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:16 am   #251
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post

Just causes a major issue for people like me who have no driving licence! That passport is my only ID
That's fair enough. Would getting a Keypass ID from Aus Post help? Seems to be marketed for people without driver's licences.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:54 am   #252
Premium Member

Quote:
That's fair enough. Would getting a Keypass ID from Aus Post help? Seems to be marketed for people without driver's licences.
Not really worth it now I have the two passports, I'm used to carrying one everywhere! The only option when I came out years ago was something similar that Qld Transport did but they calmly told me that I was far too old to have one and should just learn to drive instead Hence I've just become permanently attached to my passports
Old Nov 16th 2017, 3:47 am   #253
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the Aus Passport pages copied but forgot to include them for three passports. New British passports arrived with no issue. This was in the last month.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia