British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   British Passports when in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/british-passports-when-australia-802533/)

Pollyana Jul 10th 2013 10:33 pm

British Passports when in Australia

If you need to renew or apply for a new British passport, you can have your application reviewed at a participating Australia Post retail outlet.

http://auspost.com.au/passports-id/b...passports.html

This is the link to the UK-based information

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Pollyana Jul 10th 2013 10:41 pm

Re: British Passports when in Australia

Lots of general questions about passports and proof of ID are addressed in the previous thread here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7580833

but please check that the info is still current before acting on it. The link to the thread is for general guidance only.

To answer some of the common questions:

- Australia Post can do UK-sized Passport photos
- if you are living in Aus you must apply here, UNLESS you are going back to the UK on holiday, have an address there you can use, and have enough time to sort the renewal over there,
- If you need a photo etc counter-signed and have not known anyone in Aus long enough then you can go to a JP, they will sign to the effect that they don't know you but are happy to verify your identity.
- If you have a visa label in your old passport it will not be transferred to the new one, but you can carry both passports and show the existing visa label - it is still valid. If you want a new label (not essential) then you need to go to a DIAC office, and there is now a charge for it.

Irish passport? Here's the link for a new one of those while in Aus
http://www.embassyofireland.au.com/h....aspx?id=81799

Safin Jul 12th 2013 12:16 am

Is there an online tracking service? I know the forms got delivered by Auspost but the tracking facility on the uk gov website seems to be just an email address or premium phone line and aimed at UK based applications.

Pollyana Jul 12th 2013 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Safin (Post 10795953)
Is there an online tracking service? I know the forms got delivered by Auspost but the tracking facility on the uk gov website seems to be just an email address or premium phone line and aimed at UK based applications.

Not sure - I'm not aware of one, and there wasn't when I did mine a year or so back. As far as I know its only the Aus Post system :(

lesleys Jul 13th 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10793977)
- If you need a photo etc counter-signed and have not known anyone in Aus long enough then you can go to a JP, they will sign to the effect that they don't know you but are happy to verify your identity.

You can also go to your bank (not even your own branch) and prove who you are by your bank cards etc and they will countersign for free.

Australia_bound? Sep 14th 2013 2:14 pm

Passport renewal

Just wondering if anyone is aware of how long it takes to get British Passport renewed in Australia?
Applied for an overseas job & need passport back asap, as looks like I'm in with a shout for the job & they will want me to start this month. Also what happens with the visa in the old passport, do they transfer it over or would I have to pay to get another one put in there?

old.sparkles Sep 14th 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Passport renewal

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10900728)
Just wondering if anyone is aware of how long it takes to get British Passport renewed in Australia?
Applied for an overseas job & need passport back asap, as looks like I'm in with a shout for the job & they will want me to start this month. Also what happens with the visa in the old passport, do they transfer it over or would I have to pay to get another one put in there?

Sorry, don't know how long the new passport takes, but you use form 929 to notify DIAC of the change - http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm

Australia_bound? Sep 14th 2013 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10900736)
Sorry, don't know how long the new passport takes, but you use form 929 to notify DIAC of the change - http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm

No changes, just had an expired passport.
Says on website up to 6 weeks, I really can't wait that long, will get passed over for the job as would be starting within 2 weeks.

old.sparkles Sep 14th 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10900740)
No changes, just had an expired passport.
Says on website up to 6 weeks, I really can't wait that long, will get passed over for the job as would be starting within 2 weeks.

Yeah I understood - Form 929 is for

Change of address and/or passport details

Pollyana Sep 14th 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10900728)

Mine took about 3 weeks but thats a good 2 years ago. Reports on here suggest the timing has usually been pretty close to what is quoted, but the system has changed a fair bit lately.
Have a look here for current info.

You don't have to get a sticker in the new passport, you can just carry both passports. If you want a new sticker it now costs $70 over the counter at a DIAC office.

oldandbold Sep 16th 2013 1:38 pm

Just done two of ours - OH and my son.
From having the applications checked at the post office here in Darwin, to receiving 2 new ones direct from the UK - 13 days.
A bit surprised to say the least, took twice as long to get them renewed when we were in the UK!

Australia_bound? Sep 17th 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by oldandbold (Post 10903122)
Just done two of ours - OH and my son.
From having the applications checked at the post office here in Darwin, to receiving 2 new ones direct from the UK - 13 days.
A bit surprised to say the least, took twice as long to get them renewed when we were in the UK!

As far as I know they do them at the British Consulate in Canberra? Hope it's 2 weeks for me also, as need it by the end of the month at the latest! :eek:

roaringmouse Sep 17th 2013 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10905053)
As far as I know they do them at the British Consulate in Canberra? Hope it's 2 weeks for me also, as need it by the end of the month at the latest! :eek:

All UK passport applications now end up in the UK for the passport to be issued. You apply via an appointment at certain post offices in Australia, and it gets sent off for processing.

It was announced a couple of years ago that all UK passport applications will be dealt with in the UK, and this has either now been achieved or is on the way. It seems quite expensive from Australia too, an adult renewal has the following costs depending on country of application:

UK - £72.50
USA/Canada - £128.00 (application to be sent direct to Durham in the UK)
Australia - AU$282.21 (approx. £170)

New Zealand is similarly expensive at NZ$337.69 (approx. £180)

Pollyana Sep 17th 2013 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10905053)

Canberra stopped a good while ago. They were done in New Zealand for 3 years or so, and now in the UK.

Australia_bound? Sep 18th 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10905704)
Canberra stopped a good while ago. They were done in New Zealand for 3 years or so, and now in the UK.

I was informed that my application was not being dealt with in the UK & I tracked it as being delivered to Canberra.
So I'm assuming it's at the British consulate & I'll have to spend $3.52 per minute to discuss my application with them on their premium rate number. So premium added to passport application then a premium rate to speak to anyone about it.
To add insult to injury I need it for 2 months, then I'll not be using it much as will get a nice new shiny Aussie passport as will be up for Citizenship then :eek:

Pollyana Sep 18th 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 10906685)
I was informed that my application was not being dealt with in the UK & I tracked it as being delivered to Canberra.
So I'm assuming it's at the British consulate & I'll have to spend $3.52 per minute to discuss my application with them on their premium rate number. So premium added to passport application then a premium rate to speak to anyone about it.
To add insult to injury I need it for 2 months, then I'll not be using it much as will get a nice new shiny Aussie passport as will be up for Citizenship then :eek:

Maybe they have just moved them back to Canberra then; certainly when Aus Post started dealing with the applications they were all going to NZ, that was about 3 years ago, as I did mine then and it came from NZ.
Then they said a few months back that everything would be processed in the UK in future - that was when all the website was redesigned, about 6 months back I think.

roaringmouse Sep 18th 2013 3:08 pm

How did you track it to Canberra?

Australia Post forward the applications. It may be a similar approach to applying for a UK visa in Australia - applications are sent to Sydney, then forwarded to Manila. With passports they may go to Canberra and then forwarded to the UK for issuing (and probably processing now too).

roaringmouse Sep 18th 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10906758)
that was when all the website was redesigned, about 6 months back I think.

The gov.uk website is one of the most annoying government websites. The Tories announced they would reduce the number of websites, and they seem to be aiming for one website for everything. It's difficult to get information, it's poorly designed, when things are updated it seems to take longer for this website to be updated to reflect the changes, and it's just ridiculous that different departments can't have their own website with a design that better reflects what is required of it. The gov.uk website should really be a portal rather than a one size fits all approach.

Pollyana Sep 18th 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 10906769)
How did you track it to Canberra?

Australia Post forward the applications. It may be a similar approach to applying for a UK visa in Australia - applications are sent to Sydney, then forwarded to Manila. With passports they may go to Canberra and then forwarded to the UK for issuing (and probably processing now too).

Thats what I thought, I was sure the passports were now actually issued from the UK, not from Canberra.

oldandbold Sep 19th 2013 11:29 pm

As I stated above, we got ours in 13 days.
Definitely shipped from the UK, although initially I think Auspost sends them to Canberra. - arrived via DHL in an envelope with London Heathrow - Darwin flight sticker on it.

Pollyana Sep 20th 2013 3:17 am

Originally Posted by oldandbold (Post 10909094)
As I stated above, we got ours in 13 days.
Definitely shipped from the UK, although initially I think Auspost sends them to Canberra. - arrived via DHL in an envelope with London Heathrow - Darwin flight sticker on it.

Thats pretty good service really :)

BritInParis Sep 22nd 2013 10:13 pm

Applications for Australian residents are processed at the High Commission in Wellington but the passports themselves are printed in the UK and then couriered to the customer's postal address in Australia. The FCO is in the final stages of winding down its role in passport processing and by April next year all applicants worldwide will need to send their applications directly to the UK for processing. AFAIK HMPO is maintaining the Auspost application option however.

Pollyana Sep 23rd 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 10912975)
Applications for Australian residents are processed at the High Commission in Wellington but the passports themselves are printed in the UK and then couriered to the customer's postal address in Australia. The FCO is in the final stages of winding down its role in passport processing and by April next year all applicants worldwide will need to send their applications directly to the UK for processing. AFAIK HMPO is maintaining the Auspost application option however.

Thanks for the clarification :)

BritInParis Sep 23rd 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10913260)
Thanks for the clarification :)

No worries. HMG tend to try and make things as clear as mud if they can help it.

Pollyana Sep 23rd 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 10913347)
No worries. HMG tend to try and make things as clear as mud if they can help it.

Taking lessons from the Aussies :D

Sparkleydiva Sep 23rd 2013 9:28 am

Hi there

We renewed ours this year. albeit we are in NZ, but we actually had our news passports from the UK in less than 7 days. Service was outstanding and so much better than we expected - that was in January.

Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

Rhubarb65 Sep 26th 2013 6:12 am

Mine took 2 weeks when I renewed last year. Application was sent by Aus. Post to British High Commission in Wellington, NZ for processing and then the new passport was sent from a secure printing facility in the UK.

The cancelled passport and new passport arrived within a day of each other. A quick (but expensive) process!
Current fees for renewal of a burgundy British passport from AU are:

AUD 282.21 for an adult 32 page passport
AUD 325.81 for an adult 48 page passport
AUD 205.81 for a child passport

Robbie_Paula Oct 20th 2013 2:50 am

Can anyone confirm whether expired passports (2 years +) are still classed as renewal?

Pollyana Oct 20th 2013 6:55 am

Threads merged :thumbup:

BritInParis Oct 20th 2013 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Robbie_Paula (Post 10952111)
Can anyone confirm whether expired passports (2 years +) are still classed as renewal?

Generally speaking, providing a passport expired less than ten years, it would be counted as a renewal.

Robbie_Paula Oct 21st 2013 6:51 am

Thanks :) I thought it was okay from memory but I couldn't find a definitive answer on gov.uk website.

poppyandpeanut Oct 30th 2013 4:17 am

how did you get on?

Scoult Jan 9th 2014 2:35 am

British Passports Renewal in Australia processing changes

Hello all went to Australia post to get my wife her British Passport App form and they said from Monday they will only check them for a price and that you do it yourself online? Anyone know more about this and how would you submit your two photos? Apparently its happening Monday??

bloatedstoat Jan 9th 2014 6:40 am

I have just had my UK passport renewed. Applied via Australia Post on the 11th December 2013, new one in my hand via DHL from UK on the 24th December 2013.

Thing is, it's now been 4 weeks and I haven't received my old one back yet?:thumbdown:

Can anyone offer an indication as to how long this usually takes?

Does it come via regular post, registered post or via DHL?

I am travelling soon and although I've submitted a 929 to DIAC I'd be happier travelling with the old passport containing PR visa as well as new one.

Thanks.

Pollyana Jan 9th 2014 7:28 am

Re: British Passports Renewal in Australia processing changes

First I've heard of it but i'll look into it

BritInParis Jan 9th 2014 5:57 pm

The RPPC in Wellington is closing by the end of March so you'll be sending any new applications directly to the UK from this point onwards. When Wellington closes together with the passport office in Dublin all overseas passport production will cease. With a few exceptions where the local situation dictate otherwise there will be no FCO involvement in the issuing of British passports from April onwards.

If you head to https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports from Monday you'll see the on-line application you now have to complete in order to renew your passport from Australia.

BritInParis Jan 9th 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by bloatedstoat (Post 11070200)
I have just had my UK passport renewed. Applied via Australia Post on the 11th December 2013, new one in my hand via DHL from UK on the 24th December 2013.

Thing is, it's now been 4 weeks and I haven't received my old one back yet?:thumbdown:

Can anyone offer an indication as to how long this usually takes?

Does it come via regular post, registered post or via DHL?

I am travelling soon and although I've submitted a 929 to DIAC I'd be happier travelling with the old passport containing PR visa as well as new one.

Thanks.

Should have arrived by now. Might be a bit slow due to the Christmas holidays. Give it a week and then start rattling cages.

bloatedstoat Jan 9th 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11071116)
Should have arrived by now. Might be a bit slow due to the Christmas holidays. Give it a week and then start rattling cages.

Thanks, figured as much. Any clues/advice where I should focus my cage rattling? Office in which country, contact number, email address, website?

Cheers.

BritInParis Jan 9th 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bloatedstoat (Post 11071509)
Thanks, figured as much. Any clues/advice where I should focus my cage rattling? Office in which country, contact number, email address, website?

Cheers.

Your new passport came from the UK, but your old passport would have gone to Wellington. I would start there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...ion-wellington

Might have to be a bit pushy to get beyond the receptionist though.

Pollyana Jan 9th 2014 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11071110)
The RPPC in Wellington is closing by the end of March so you'll be sending any new applications directly to the UK from this point onwards. When Wellington closes together with the passport office in Dublin all overseas passport production will cease. With a few exceptions where the local situation dictate otherwise there will be no FCO involvement in the issuing of British passports from April onwards.

If you head to https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports from Monday you'll see the on-line application you now have to complete in order to renew your passport from Australia.

Thanks for that, much appreciated :)