Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

yiknum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

Thanks! Do you know the names of any of those juniors in Africa and the Middle East?

Hope you had a happy xmas and new year.

Also, does anyone know what proportion of shares of Rio Tinto are owned by british investors, and how much are owned by Australian investors?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There are hundreds of them. I would suggest you use the company research function in infomine.com
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

c1191 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the information in here has been really useful to me as a recent graduate. I was just wondering how you got on with your search yiknum?

I graduated with a 2.1 in geology last month and have been applying to numerous different companies worldwide. How long did it take you guys to receive a response from companies after you'd all sent your CV's out? And is it really difficult to get a position with one of the major players in the industry like BHP or AngloAmerican? I've been checking their websites regularly in the hope that suitable positions will become available but they always seem to be advertising for experienced staff. I imagine things are quite competitive. I also believe that Australia is still pretty quiet. Is Africa still the best place to start applying to?

Thanks for you help. It's much appreciated.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately for Grads at the moment its really not good. A lot of the big companies have employment freezes on and as you mention only want the senior staff. Some do have graduate schemes though. There are grad jobs in Africa but very few and it is places like DRC and Liberia, which to be honest I'd rather be unemployed than go to. Iv been job hunting for 8 months now in UK, Canada and Oz and not much joy until this week. Also I think the 457 visa for OZ has just changed making it even more difficult too get over there.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is very hard at the moment for geologists - not just grads, though grads will feel it worse

There have been a lot of redundancies - i have several friends who are unemployed in Oz at the moment that are experienced geologists. I also know a number of geo's laid off from projects in Africa recently.

The only place that seems to be weathering the storm better is South America - though you need to be fluent in Spanish.

There is not a lot of advice i can offer other than keep plugging away sending out CV's.

Tramps Mate. Glad to hear you finaly got something. What are you going to be doing?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Well and seismic data management! At least it's something!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Well done. The oil and gas game is where it is to be now - it is going to be a while before the minerals cycle comes back up.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not got it yet! Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

c1191 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys. I applied for a couple of mudlogging positions in the oil industry this morning. Just looking for any sort of geology related experience at the moment so I'm willing to take anything.

^ And good luck.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah Iv applied to numerous mudlogging jobs but no luck. I think at the moment they reckon theres atleast 100 applications to every junior/entry level/graduate Geo position..