Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

Old Oct 6th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British geologists in Australia, could you answer some questions?

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Geoconsult are a terrible company and pay awfully.

Plus they recently sacked a load of geo's..
I bow to your superior knowledge Glad I've retired.

Even if it is terrible, is there any way it could be considered in the "anything is better than nothing" category as a stop-gap? We knew a lot of people who wanted to stay in the trade and would take anything rather than retrain as a teacher or financial adviser. We also know a fair number of very happy teachers.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that most of the consultancies are now swamped with junior geo's looking for work. We use gnomic and Terasearch for some of you junior guys for core logging and things and they are effectivly begging us to take some staff from them. Unfortunatly, we have strict budgets and just cant.

Good luck to the guys looking.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it's certainly not a good place to be right now for juniors or fresh grads..
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lesleys
I bow to your superior knowledge Glad I've retired.

Even if it is terrible, is there any way it could be considered in the "anything is better than nothing" category as a stop-gap? We knew a lot of people who wanted to stay in the trade and would take anything rather than retrain as a teacher or financial adviser. We also know a fair number of very happy teachers.
This is only from a few friends who have previously and some who were currently working there..
Old Oct 7th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

lucy246 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jason123
Hi Yiknum, I just came across this thread and wondered how you are getting on? I'm also a geo and been in Perth nearly 2 years now. Verystory gave me and advice before I came out too and I can definitely echo what he has said here. The graduate market is pretty tough now and definitely not as easy as some of the people who might have been talking up Australia back in uni. Saying that, there is still plenty of opportunity out there if you stick at it.

Commodity wise... I'd say it has very little importance at this stage in your career as anything you do will give you experience and understanding of how things actually work in the industry. If you are set on exploration, I would suggest a mid-tier company that does not drill all year round. Campaign style work will give you exposure to a much wider range of exploration activities rather than being stuck on a rig 12 hours a day for 2 years at Rio or BHP.

If you are still intending to come to Australia or here and looking for a job just let me know and maybe I can flick your CV through to a couple folk who are taking on grads.
Hey,

I have just graduated with a masters in geology and will be flying out to Perth in 2 weeks in the hope of breaking into the mining industry. I was just wandering if anyone has any new info on the jobs situation in WA?? And do companies like employing geo grads for positions such as field assistants?

Also Jason123, i saw your post a month or two ago and was wandering if you still know a "a couple of folk" who may like to have a look at a grad cv?

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy246
Hey,

I have just graduated with a masters in geology and will be flying out to Perth in 2 weeks in the hope of breaking into the mining industry. I was just wandering if anyone has any new info on the jobs situation in WA?? And do companies like employing geo grads for positions such as field assistants?

Also Jason123, i saw your post a month or two ago and was wandering if you still know a "a couple of folk" who may like to have a look at a grad cv?

Cheers
I have sent you a PM.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:35 am
Just Joined

David1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by torface
Hi David,

Have you tried some of the mining service companies? I started in the industry working for a company called Terrasearch. I won't lie to you.. I didn't enjoy working for them much, but it did enable me to make the connections that got me my current job. Companies like that don't tend to advertise, but take on young geos all the time (they also have a high turn over).

Also i may be wrong, but I believe that Earth Data and Salva Resources are still recruiting for more junior roles. Well they were a few months ago at least. Might be worth a look. Try Gnomic too.

Try also searching for Field Assistant jobs. The market for them is probably just the same, but if you can't get geo work, it's a foot in the door and it'll set you in good stead for your career in my opinion.

As for moving to a mining town, I doubt it would help. But thats just my opinion

Good luck!
Hey Torface,

Cheers for all the information. I've not yet looked at service companies, but I surely will. When I go out to perth I have considered that I will also try and settle for field assistant jobs, because at the end of the day it would be just good to get a foot in the door and get any experience + being paid. Its better doing something geological rather than just working in a bar or something.

Hopefully something will come up over there. Still going to travel down to Kalgoorlie just to see if there is anything nonetheless as I'll be close. Everyone seems to have differing opinions on all this!

Cheers again!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucy246
Hey,

Cheers
Good luck with that. Its not easy at the moment at all..
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Although women are favorable for statistics!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Although women are favorable for statistics!
that is what I have heard!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

i need to send another post before I can see personal messages...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:55 am
Just Joined

mnaziri1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jason123
Hi Yiknum, I just came across this thread and wondered how you are getting on? I'm also a geo and been in Perth nearly 2 years now. Verystory gave me and advice before I came out too and I can definitely echo what he has said here. The graduate market is pretty tough now and definitely not as easy as some of the people who might have been talking up Australia back in uni. Saying that, there is still plenty of opportunity out there if you stick at it.

Commodity wise... I'd say it has very little importance at this stage in your career as anything you do will give you experience and understanding of how things actually work in the industry. If you are set on exploration, I would suggest a mid-tier company that does not drill all year round. Campaign style work will give you exposure to a much wider range of exploration activities rather than being stuck on a rig 12 hours a day for 2 years at Rio or BHP.

If you are still intending to come to Australia or here and looking for a job just let me know and maybe I can flick your CV through to a couple folk who are taking on grads.
Hey Jason, i was wondering if you could also send my CV through to a couple of folks who are still taking on grads? I'm graduating April of 2013 and looking to go down to Australia so your help would be much appreciated.

Also this thread is awesome, lots of good advice here! thanks everyone.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mnaziri1
Hey Jason, i was wondering if you could also send my CV through to a couple of folks who are still taking on grads? I'm graduating April of 2013 and looking to go down to Australia so your help would be much appreciated.

Also this thread is awesome, lots of good advice here! thanks everyone.
Jason hasn't posted on this forum since August.

I would heed the advice on here. I have just had to lay off several British geologists with a year or two experience each. None have managed to get work and have left Oz.

There are now a lot of geologists chasing very few jobs here and it is going to get substantially worse. Particularly for new grads.

My advice is to be applying for jobs everywhere in the world. Consider learning a language. My recommendation would be spanish or French.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

yiknum is an unknown quantity at this point

Again any countries or companies you recommend for this year verystormy?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

There isnt going to be much recruitment in Oz between now and the end of June - end of financial year as i think most will be waiting to see how prices pan out against budgets.

Outside Oz, Eldorado Gold will probably be recruiting soon as they have announced a large exploration budget.

Anglo American will as their new CEO is very pro exploration.

A range of the juniors in Africa and middle east will be recruiting still. Though these will drop off in the next 6 weeks as budgets get tight towards the UK end of financial year. But then pick back up in May.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.