Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"British" food/good shops in Australia

"British" food/good shops in Australia

Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice
Default Re: "British" food/good shops in Australia

ok, having read all this thread i am slightly worried now! i thought most of those products you mentioned were global products?!

I have not yet moved there as we are just waiting for the big answer.. but if we do, would it be worth taking a few bits over with us.... i.e all the gravies, dried products...

what about peanut butter can you get that? what brands? chocolate might not be a bad thing as it will do me good to do without....
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleHobo
ok, having read all this thread i am slightly worried now! i thought most of those products you mentioned were global products?!

I have not yet moved there as we are just waiting for the big answer.. but if we do, would it be worth taking a few bits over with us.... i.e all the gravies, dried products...

what about peanut butter can you get that? what brands? chocolate might not be a bad thing as it will do me good to do without....
Yes fetch the lot !Oh yes and me some saasssaages please
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

will see what i can do!

but appreciate the tips on the gravy and i might chuck a whole stack of tesco's crunchy peanut butter in boxes we are taking with us!!!

what about making your own mint sauce.... has anyone got a tried and tested recipie.... god, the things we worry about! but lamb is just not right without it!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hatters04
Hi TillyG
Marmite and Our Mate comes from different Importers, which is why there is a huge difference in price. They are both the same product so you would be better buying OurMate, although it's only available in a small jar
Aha, I did wonder. In my IGA they only sell the small jars of them anyway. I could get a BIG jar of "Marmite" from treats from home but it would cost a lot! Much cheaper to buy the smaller jars of OurMate
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LittleHobo

Also, if you have a baby and love using Pampers nappies, then tough luck. Treats from Home in sydney have *just* started selling size 4 BabyDry but as a rule, you're stuck with Huggies, Babylove or Snugglers. All of which are a bit pants.

Basically, they are like the nappies the UK used to have about 5-10 years ago. Same with sanitary products - they don't have "Always" and the pads & tampons they have here are like the ones the UK had about 5+ years ago in terms of comfort etc. Not a huge deal but when you need them for 25% of your time, it gets a bit annoying
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Britain.on.the.Bayside is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: "British" food/good shops in Australia

Hi from the owner of Britain on the Bayside in Birkdale. It's been an interesting read and I take on board all of your comments. Before making judgement though I'd pop in to have a good look around as you'll soon discover we are not like any other Brit shop you have visited before. Yes we have food and great sausages but we also stock British football team official merchandise (including Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and there is more coming in over the next few months). We have a vast range of Guinness Branded merchandise, kids toys including Beatrix Potter, Paddington bear, Winnie the Pooh. We have a full range a gifts including Jamie Oliver merchandise, Beatles memorabilia, (Mick Jagger merchandise coming in soon), travel books and even M&S kids books. We have Welsh, Irish, English and Scottish merchandise too. The website will be up and running in the next few weeks and we will be providing an onlive delivery service across Australia during the coming months. So hopefully next time you're on the Bayside pop in and make your own mind up. See you soon.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

UGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Britain.on.the.Bayside
Hi from the owner of Britain on the Bayside in Birkdale. It's been an interesting read and I take on board all of your comments. Before making judgement though I'd pop in to have a good look around as you'll soon discover we are not like any other Brit shop you have visited before. Yes we have food and great sausages but we also stock British football team official merchandise (including Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and there is more coming in over the next few months). We have a vast range of Guinness Branded merchandise, kids toys including Beatrix Potter, Paddington bear, Winnie the Pooh. We have a full range a gifts including Jamie Oliver merchandise, Beatles memorabilia, (Mick Jagger merchandise coming in soon), travel books and even M&S kids books. We have Welsh, Irish, English and Scottish merchandise too. The website will be up and running in the next few weeks and we will be providing an onlive delivery service across Australia during the coming months. So hopefully next time you're on the Bayside pop in and make your own mind up. See you soon.
HI
Just been and bought a few bits and bops really,really looking forward to a yummy dinner will report on the results in the morning and best of luck to you the shop looks great.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:17 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We went today - great sausages we will be back! I only went in for sausages but once in there I realised there were a few other things I missed so came out with a bagful of things and some treats for the kids - I'm going to put a packet of Walkers cheese and onion crisps in my son's lunch box as a surprise tomorrow - they are the only crisps except nachos that he likes.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

UGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really nice

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
We went today - great sausages we will be back! I only went in for sausages but once in there I realised there were a few other things I missed so came out with a bagful of things and some treats for the kids - I'm going to put a packet of Walkers cheese and onion crisps in my son's lunch box as a surprise tomorrow - they are the only crisps except nachos that he likes.
we have just sampled the sausages and pork pie WOW what can I say now I know that I will Not be missing anything from the UK.Also got some stufffing,pickle ,crisps .Will be back next week.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:06 am
Just Joined

shane-sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UGLY BETTY
we have just sampled the sausages and pork pie WOW what can I say now I know that I will Not be missing anything from the UK.Also got some stufffing,pickle ,crisps .Will be back next week.
Ok chaps...been in Brisbane for 4 months.

Long shot I know but

Hovis Bread?

Hovis Crackers?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:09 am
Just Joined

shane-sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shane-sullivan
Ok chaps...been in Brisbane for 4 months.

Long shot I know but

Hovis Bread?

Hovis Crackers?
Oh and where is this Britain by the Bayside?

And what is the Balti House like?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shane-sullivan
Oh and where is this Britain by the Bayside?

And what is the Balti House like?
Britain by the Bayside is at Aquatic Paradise Shopping Centre, 190 Birkdale Road, Birkdale. Their phone number is: 07 3822 8184. It's right next to Poolwerx.

The Spice Avenue Balti Restaurant serves English style Indian food which is voted by many here as among the best in the Brisbane area. We've been there a few times and have had take-away many times. Their number is: 07 3822 9822 and they are just a few shops down from Britain on the Bayside.

I haven't seen Hovis anywhere (no that I was looking) but I've never been huge fan of supermarket bought bread. A baker near us makes really nice stuff with no preservatives.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

We visited the birkdale shop the other day and suffice to i had the best toad in the hole i've ever had in oz!So we'll definitely be back for more SAASSSAAAGES !! Oh! by the way the pork pie i had was quite exquisite as well
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

well i havent eben been to australia yet and i am worried about missing cadbury i am a massive chocoholic. i have had the chance to try some aussie chcolate from realtives who have brought it back and from going to the australia shop in covent garden. i am a cherry ripe fan and when i go to london pick up a bar for £1.50, my sister in law brought me over cherry bounty when she was here at easter and raspberry twirl both were nice she also brought some cadbury cream eggs and they were disgusting! i think i will stick to british ones!
does anyone know can you pack up chocolate or other foods in your container when you move over?
my mouth is now watering at the thought of all this chocolate....
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think you can send any foodstuffs I'm afraid.
Where are you moving to? If it's one of the cities then there will probably be a Cadbury stockist - there are quite a few in Sydney (although I cleared one shop out of its remaining 250g bars of Dairy Milk today... they only had 3 left, hope they last LOL)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.