Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"British" food/good shops in Australia

"British" food/good shops in Australia

Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:45 am
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "British" food/good shops in Australia

I live in Darwin NT which means every thing is really expensive and you don't get a great deal of choice, but saying that in our coles/woolworths theres hp sce, helmans mayo and loads of other brands which taste pretty much like what we're used to. I am trying not to eat the chocolate for fat reasons so I can't comment on that but my kids enjoy oz choc. The gravy is deffo a problem though, really small tins which only last 3 meals in this house. I miss not being able to bulk buy things like washing powder from makro's ect, and the great deals at tesco's. mind you my fridge is full of beer so not much room for bulk!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:12 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bushpig
mind you my fridge is full of beer so not much room for bulk!

Therein lies the need for a beer fridge
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

JTL just came back from shopping centre in Birkdale and has confirmed that the "Britain on the Bayside" next door to the Balti House is officially opening tomorrow.

They will have all the usual things that many of the homeside poms will want - Thorntons, Cadbury, Walkers crisps, etc, and most importantly (to me anyway) they'll be stocking my favourite Cornish pasties, pork pies and sausages. I was very very happy when JTL came home with the flyer.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
JTL just came back from shopping centre in Birkdale and has confirmed that the "Britain on the Bayside" next door to the Balti House is officially opening tomorrow.

They will have all the usual things that many of the homeside poms will want - Thorntons, Cadbury, Walkers crisps, etc, and most importantly (to me anyway) they'll be stocking my favourite Cornish pasties, pork pies and sausages. I was very very happy when JTL came home with the flyer.

Mrs JTL
I'm rather pleased you posted that notice Mrs JTL as ive just returned from Pommes corner shop in Wynnum (on the recommendation of the sausages ) empty handed cos it's closed for a couple of weeks!I thinks we'll pop up to Birkdale tomorrow and see if they have any NICE sausages!! Pretty please !!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Me too. It's clear all my interests and tastes are distinctly portable.

When I left the UK in 1998 I just left some things behind. I do remember liking some things when they were there. eg Fruit Corners. but I don't hanker for them.

If I visited, I would probbably by default pick some up and reacquaint myself.

No sleep loss.

Ummm shall I admit to my purchases from the British Lolly Shop? Brought STACKS of stuff whilst in Cairns, walnut whips, dime bars, topics, traffic light lollipops and hula hoops! We were on hol tho, we could indulge. Not sure I'd spend money reguarly there tho, cost of fortune!
Attached Thumbnails "British" food/good shops in Australia-yippeee.jpg   "British" food/good shops in Australia-cairnslollies.jpg  
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
I'm rather pleased you posted that notice Mrs JTL as ive just returned from Pommes corner shop in Wynnum (on the recommendation of the sausages ) empty handed cos it's closed for a couple of weeks!I thinks we'll pop up to Birkdale tomorrow and see if they have any NICE sausages!! Pretty please !!
Didn't know you were THAT keen... Just phoned the shop for you - they'll have the sausages in for 11am tomorrow. Although I don't need to stock up on things yet, I'm still going to have a look before lunch. If you see a Chinese woman with a 4-month-old baby girl, that's me!

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Didn't know you were THAT keen... Just phoned the shop for you - they'll have the sausages in for 11am tomorrow. Although I don't need to stock up on things yet, I'm still going to have a look before lunch. If you see a Chinese woman with a 4-month-old baby girl, that's me!

Mrs JTL
Leaving coffee bean home alone already are you - Has she grown that much
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Leaving coffee bean home alone already are you - Has she grown that much
Not yet, I wish... CB will be in day care with all her boyfriends (yes I've handpicked a few for her already), so that I can have fun with Butter Bean all day. Oh, in case JTL's reading, I mean, so that I can do housework all day, honest.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't read the whole thread yet (internet playing up a bit today so thought I'd reply now).

I am a big UK Cadburys fan. I've tried the Aussie stuff but it just doesn't "work" for me. When we first got here, we heard about the place in Bondi Junction and so I used to go down there (from the Lower North Shore, on public transport, bit of a hike especially with toddler in tow). Never had a problem with the guy there, in fact used to have great chats with him - he's from Liverpool, as are my family, so that was nice.

I've also been to the British Lolly Shop in Darling Harbour, which is great for the odd bit.

My favourite Brit shop, though, is the one in Skygardens, in Sydney City Centre. I think it's called Treats from Home or a Taste of Home. Anyway, that's the only place I've found that sells the 250g bars of Cadburys. Granted it's $9 a pop but it's so good. I now spend the same amount per month on choc as I did in the UK but only get one-third of the amount - it's a great way to whittle down the waistline LOL

I also buy Cadburys drinking chocolate powder from there, it goes great in sponge cake. And Birds Custard Powder (although I can get that from the shop near home for about the same price).

What annoys me is that my local IGA sells UK Marmite for $7.60. But sells "Our Mate" (same thing, just a different label) for $4.60 or therabouts. Bit of a con.

But I'm chuffed with my IGA as they sell HP Sauce for a "normal" price, English style Heinz beans and Ambrosia tinned custard - yum! $2.50 for a tin of custard - so only about a quid.

I figured that the prices really aren't that bad, when you consider how far it's come. And it's worth it for a little slice of "home"

Off to read the rest of the thread now
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Just remembered, too, that there's a Scottish guy in Mosman (just up the road from me) who currently has a stall in a shopping centre but is opening a proper shop very soon with imported stuff.

There's quite a few options for UK stuff where I am, probably because there's a HUGE expat population around here.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

hatters04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TillyG
I haven't read the whole thread yet (internet playing up a bit today so thought I'd reply now).

I am a big UK Cadburys fan. I've tried the Aussie stuff but it just doesn't "work" for me. When we first got here, we heard about the place in Bondi Junction and so I used to go down there (from the Lower North Shore, on public transport, bit of a hike especially with toddler in tow). Never had a problem with the guy there, in fact used to have great chats with him - he's from Liverpool, as are my family, so that was nice.

I've also been to the British Lolly Shop in Darling Harbour, which is great for the odd bit.

My favourite Brit shop, though, is the one in Skygardens, in Sydney City Centre. I think it's called Treats from Home or a Taste of Home. Anyway, that's the only place I've found that sells the 250g bars of Cadburys. Granted it's $9 a pop but it's so good. I now spend the same amount per month on choc as I did in the UK but only get one-third of the amount - it's a great way to whittle down the waistline LOL

I also buy Cadburys drinking chocolate powder from there, it goes great in sponge cake. And Birds Custard Powder (although I can get that from the shop near home for about the same price).

What annoys me is that my local IGA sells UK Marmite for $7.60. But sells "Our Mate" (same thing, just a different label) for $4.60 or therabouts. Bit of a con.

But I'm chuffed with my IGA as they sell HP Sauce for a "normal" price, English style Heinz beans and Ambrosia tinned custard - yum! $2.50 for a tin of custard - so only about a quid.

I figured that the prices really aren't that bad, when you consider how far it's come. And it's worth it for a little slice of "home"

Off to read the rest of the thread now
Hi TillyG
Marmite and Our Mate comes from different Importers, which is why there is a huge difference in price. They are both the same product so you would be better buying OurMate, although it's only available in a small jar
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really hanker after anything - though would like Shreddies! OH wants Readybrek.
Popped into 'Treats from Home', Collins Street a couple of weeks ago and it was good fun to see what they had (I think they have an online store too). I did treat myself to Minstrels, Revels, FRAZZLES!, Walkers Sweet Chilli crisps. They've had to take Readybrek off the shelves as one of the ingredients is now banned apparently.
I have to say though, I actually prefer Aussie chocolate now and never could tell the difference between Marmite & Vegemite
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

hatters04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Crow
I don't really hanker after anything - though would like Shreddies! OH wants Readybrek.
Popped into 'Treats from Home', Collins Street a couple of weeks ago and it was good fun to see what they had (I think they have an online store too). I did treat myself to Minstrels, Revels, FRAZZLES!, Walkers Sweet Chilli crisps. They've had to take Readybrek off the shelves as one of the ingredients is now banned apparently.
I have to say though, I actually prefer Aussie chocolate now and never could tell the difference between Marmite & Vegemite
The banned ingredient is Vitamin B12. Applies to Ready Brek and Shreddies.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:48 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobbyftm

If you could just leave a few sausages there for us I'd appreciate it - we'll be there sometime tomorrow.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatters04
The banned ingredient is Vitamin B12. Applies to Ready Brek and Shreddies.
Oh no - I'll never get my Shreddies then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.