British Exodus

Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:46 am
Badge

Default Re: British Exodus

when you are in Australia, the greyness of London can physically make you sick - know the feeling tina!! It's like another world - a memory that becomes a distant memory very quickly..

BM

Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Coming out here has been everything we wanted. We can live on 1 salary and get to spend heaps more family time together. We now have more space. little traffic, a fantastic climate and lifestyle, and a much more positive future for our kids. We have however sacrificied being near our families for this.

A lot of the same problems are here i.e. taxes, perverts etc, but fortunately we still feel we are better off. We have no plans or wants to return at this stage and the thought of going back to my hectic life in that 'grey' place turns my stomach![/QUOTE]

The poor guy who just asked for some emails for an article he's writing surely didn't expect this row as a response!
Anyway, after reading everyone's responses I have to add something!
I've now been in Oz for a year. We moved hear, not cos we've always wanted to but because a job came up and with the current situation in Autmotive Enigneering in the UK we thought it was the right decision to make.
I have to say its great! We're in Melbourne so the weather is by no means perfect, the winter has not been great however summer is already on its way - 23 degrees and sunny today! The lifestyle we have is working well, we live in an area, near the sea front. We can roller blade, cycle, run along the seafront in the evening or just go for a drink after work and look out on the sea. Nothing like we could have had in England. We are also lucky that we have met loads of really friendly Aussies who have made us welcome and taken us out.
I can't pretend that EVERYTHING is perfect though.
The rat race still exisits here in fact Aussies work as hard as we do in the UK despite their relaxed lifestyle. I am in work at 8am every morning but despite this when I leave at 5.30pm its considered early and I'm not pulling my weight.
Housing costs etc - both myself and my partner work full time and with above average salaries however with tax as high as it is here we would struggle to pay a mortgage and have a better lifestyle to the one we had in the UK. Costs here for everything from houses and cars to just shopping will be the same comparative to your salary as in the UK.
Sometimes I find myself reading Kongs / Graylings posts and although I don't appreciate the way they state things I have to agree with them. I suspect that the majority of people who come here will not be able to get a job which provides for the family and will buy them a house mortgage free. Salaries are not that great here and tax is as high as it is in the UK.
Life won't be perfect here, there are exactly the same problems here as there are in the UK. However I am sure the fact that the sun shines more helps everyone have a far more positive and cheery outlook!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:34 am
Badge

yeah the people that do well here and have it particularly good are the ones who have no or small mortgage and a good job. Apart from that, it's same sh*t shiner bucket..

I have a low mortgage (AUS950 a month - which is low really) and a good job so consider myself to be lucky in this day and age. As apposed to a mortgage of many thousands (GBP2-3K) back home for less house and not infact, a great deal more money. I am in a job where I can get a good wage, but not sky high where all you do is chase your tail over stress.

that's the thing, the negatives all bang on about jobs for professionals being great in London etc but to me more salary = means more debt - more bullsh*t; the wage cycle etc and I never want to get in to all that.

BM

Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: press request

Originally Posted by Don
You think tax is better in Aus? Think again.
And there are no weirdoes here either... sigh ( They still haven't found the little Gold Coast lad) . Some people should take a look at the stats for Australia, they'll find it has higher crime than the UK in many areas of crime . Murders are one crime area that is higher here in Australia per capita.. Haven't got a clue what planet some people are on. Drugs, petty crime etc tend to be the same, some at a higher level, some that are at the same level as the UK

Perhaps Mr Bennett would like to write a piece on why many Australians are ( and have) left this country to go to the UK and other lands. It could go along side with his " great British exodus" article - "Balance". Or is that not in the vocabulary of some Journalists ( not a question).

I'd also contact the Sunday Times to check the authenticity of any person who claims to be writing for them. Check out any person who claims to be writing for a paper , before you email your full name and life story to a complete stranger on the internet. Or is that being too sensible ( again not a question)

Surprisingly enough Britain's population ( except for Scotland, which has seemed to have dropped in population over the past decades) is going up, not dropping, so much for the mass departures - What a funny phenomena . He may well want to check out the figures of British expats that return to the UK while he's at it too.
It's human nature to think that the grass is greener on the other side , and what with travel being far easier than it was 20, 30 years ago, this phenomenon that he speaks of is not limited to the UK. Australia, Asia, Uk, you name it , you'll find masses that leave to go to another part of the world. The return figures to their home countries will put some balance into it.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 20th 2004 at 6:39 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trehere

Sometimes I find myself reading Kongs / Graylings posts and although I don't appreciate the way they state things I have to agree with them. I suspect that the majority of people who come here will not be able to get a job which provides for the family and will buy them a house mortgage free. Salaries are not that great here and tax is as high as it is in the UK.
Life won't be perfect here, there are exactly the same problems here as there are in the UK. However I am sure the fact that the sun shines more helps everyone have a far more positive and cheery outlook!
Try coming to Queensland - at the moment if I comment on how nice it is to see the sun, I get shot down by people saying they would prefer the rain - which I admit, we sorely need. Different country, different prioities, I guess.

Have to comment on your bracketing of Kong and Grayling together though. Kong is just an out-and-out doom monger who had discovered how to cut and paste

Grayling on the other hand posts some very balanced and well thought out comments.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:08 am
Badge

I never saw Grayling as a ''negative'' anyhow..

BM

Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to get hold of crime comparisons for yonks...where did you get hold of them from Ceri?

Originally Posted by Ceri
And there are no weirdoes here either... sigh ( They still haven't found the little Gold Coast lad) . Some people should take a look at the stats for Australia, they'll find it has higher crime than the UK in many areas of crime . Murders are one crime area that is higher here in Australia per capita.. Haven't got a clue what planet some people are on. Drugs, petty crime etc tend to be the same, some at a higher level, some that are at the same level as the UK

Perhaps Mr Bennet would like to write piece on why many Australians are ( and have) left this country to go to the UK and other lands. It could go along side with his " great British exodus" article - "Balance". Or is that not in the vocabulary of some Journalists ( not a question).

I'd also contact the Sunday Times to check the authenticity of any person who claims to be writing for them. Check out any person who claims to be writing for a paper , before you email your full name and life story to a complete stranger on the internet. Or is that being too sensible ( again not a question)

Surprisingly enough Britain's population ( except for Scotland, which has seemed to have dropped in population over the past decades) is going up, not dropping, so much for the mass departures - What a funny phenomena . He may well want to check out the figures of British expats that return to the UK while he's at it too.
It's human nature to think that the grass is greener on the other side , and what with travel being far easier than it was 20, 30 years ago, this phenomenon that he speaks of is not limited to the UK. Australia, Asia, Uk, you name it , you'll find masses that leave to go to another part of the world. The return figures to their home countries will put some balance into it.

cheers
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri

Perhaps Mr Bennet would like to write piece on why many Australians are ( and have) left this country to go to the UK and other lands. It could go along side with his " great British exodus" article - "Balance". Or is that not in the vocabulary of some Journalists ( not a question).

cheers

Dont you just know how unlikely it would be, a british newspaper with the revalation that 120,000 Australians leave australia a year however if anyones interviewing I'm free

Ceri, They havent found the Sunshine Coast lad either.

Badgers your a card mate, no grey in Melbourne eh quite funny to a Melbourne Lad.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Badge
I never saw Grayling as a ''negative'' anyhow..

BM
Sorry, was generalising. Think that Grayling gives good alternative viewpoints but quite often gets shot down for it!
Was not intending to bracket people together
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:46 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Curls
And perhaps you should stay in bonnie scotland dont shoot me down just expressing how i feel but i think very scotish attitude speaking out before thinking.
... sorry what is that supposed to mean? " and I think you should spell check before posting such a nonsense statement - Scottish has 2 Ts in it. Numpty!!!

Last edited by scottish; Sep 20th 2004 at 7:08 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont you just know how unlikely it would be, a british newspaper with the revalation that 120,000 Australians leave australia a year however if anyones interviewing I'm free

Badgers your a card mate, no grey in Melbourne eh quite funny to a Melbourne Lad.
I didn't say that at all. There is more sun in Melbourne than in the UK thats all you can imply. There is sun today and yesterday and that is great. All I said was that sun is nice to have. Coming from Melbourne I can say that!

Incidentally, when I arrived, I was amazed at how "good" Melbourne's summers are - I thought it would be grey 24/7 and sub zero temps all year..

actually to all you newbies out there, Melbourne is very similar to Uk in some ways but the scale is higher / better - so more days of sun, strung together, higher temps (much higher temps) with the same ''change'' but you don't get the constant rain and overcast like the UK. It is not uncommon for it to rain all August in the UK.

I enjoyed the Melbourne summer and was told it was the worst they had had.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Sep 20th 2004 at 4:10 am.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich

And that. ..lol slip of the tongue.
It's amazing how many people think that children are safer here in Aus than in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter.

If anyone finds a country which has low crime, low tax , and everything is cheap , perfect weather , nobody is overworked , and you have freedom of speech please let me know... I want to know where this magical fantasy land is.

Free.. free.?? Ask for money, sell yourself, after all journalists get paid for the articles...

P.s. I think there is a storm coming in at the moment, it's gone all grey and wind looks as if it's picking up ( talking about sun ). whoo hoo, touch wood. I do hope it doesn't pass us by.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 20th 2004 at 6:45 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oliver Bennett
Hello everyone, My name is Oliver Bennett and I'm writing a piece for the Sunday Times (UK) about the great British exodus. We're trying to pin down the reasons why so many people seem to be leaving the UK at the moment - analysing the 'push' as well as the 'pull'. I'm seeking comment on this matter, however brief, such as: why did you leave? What do you miss, what don't you miss? Anyone fed up and going home? If anyone wants to get in touch I'm at [email protected] - or post your thoughts here. Full names are preferable if that's okay. We're aiming for a serious piece that addresses the phenomenon.

I will also need a couple of case studies - that is, people willing to have a short interview and potentially a photograph. If that's you, then get in touch.

Many thanks for all your help. Yours, Oliver
No need to look any further than your stable-(sty?)mates The Sun or News of the World for reasons:

- flood of asylum seekers

- little ol' ladies too scared to leave their homes for years on end

- Jordan's latest round of breast enlargements (aka the Thames barrier)

- Sven and Nancy

- asylum seekers

- 3 year-olds terrorising council estates

- obesity - 200 stone man eats McDonalds

and did I mention asylum seekers?

It's enough to make me want to live in a Perth housing estate......almost.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
it has been predicted income tax in the uk could soar by 5p in the pound to head off a public sector pensions crisis! a funding blackhole of 580bn has been estimated, 200bn more than previously admitted by the government!

something to look forward to when sitting watching the rain outside for the 11th day in a row!
Soar by 5p in the pound! That's it, I'm on the next convict ship to Sydney. Or maybe not; the top rate in UK would still be below that in Oz...
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Badge
when you are in Australia, the greyness of London can physically make you sick - know the feeling tina!! It's like another world - a memory that becomes a distant memory very quickly..

BM
And Melbourne isn't often cold and grey in winter? Of course it is. Yes, Badge you do sound like you're from another planet. Jeez...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.