Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Low use sim cards

Low use sim cards

Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Default Low use sim cards

Hi
are there any pay as you go sim cards in Australia that are designed for low usage i.e if you put $50 on it , will that last forevever if you dont use it or would you lose your credit after 6 months. My wife only uses her phone in a emergency and still as £17 left after topping up with £20 3 years ago .Thanks for any replys
Brad
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low use sim cards

Wow, that is low usage!
Whilst we're on the topic, I want one with lots of freebie texts and a few free minutes, for $30 a month? Any chance at all? Am quite tempted by virgin, they seem to have some good offers - anyone use them in Australia at the moment?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brad
Hi
are there any pay as you go sim cards in Australia that are designed for low usage i.e if you put $50 on it , will that last forevever if you dont use it or would you lose your credit after 6 months. My wife only uses her phone in a emergency and still as £17 left after topping up with £20 3 years ago .Thanks for any replys
Brad
Hi, I'm quite a low user as well, and use the Vodafone prepaid texter bundle. It costs $27.00 every 2 months (you have to keep topping up unless you lose your existing credit), and for that you get $30.00 of calls, 60 free texts and 100 vodafone to vodafone minutes, which means if you phone another vodafone user, the call is a lot cheaper.

I'm sure there are loads of options out there, but I find this works for me.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:35 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
Wow, that is low usage!
Whilst we're on the topic, I want one with lots of freebie texts and a few free minutes, for $30 a month? Any chance at all? Am quite tempted by virgin, they seem to have some good offers - anyone use them in Australia at the moment?
i use Virgin mobile...they have a sim called long expiry think it was $20 and lasts for180 odd says might be longer and they do V to V calls and texts for 5c a text and 10c a min
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:36 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
i use Virgin mobile...they have a sim called long expiry think it was $20 and lasts for180 odd says might be longer and they do V to V calls and texts for 5c a text and 10c a min
Just topped up with $50 on Virgin, and it lasts 365 days... They do smaller top ups, but not sure if they last a bit less (180 days).
Check out their website for info.

www.virginmobile.com.au

or this for specific charges...
http://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/prepaid.html

Steve
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:37 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevemich
Just topped up with $50 on Virgin, and it lasts 365 days... They do smaller top ups, but not sure if they last a bit less (180 days).
Check out their website for info.

www.virginmobile.com.au

Steve
ahh i knew they had a longer expiry....
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I also have a Virgin one that last 365 days. I have it automatically set up to deduct $50 from my credit card when it runs out so I never have to worry about running out of credit.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:10 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Vodafone do a 365 day tariff as well for $20

Scroll to the bottom

http://vodafone.com.au/rep/prepay.js...803&ss=prepaid
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:12 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Vodafone do a 365 day tariff as well for $20
Yup, and if you recharge before the 365 days are up, your entire balance is preserved.

Excellent if all you want is to keep an Australian mobile number for very infrequent use.

Peter
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brad
Hi
Brad
thanks for all your help

Brad