Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work for gas fitters in oz

work for gas fitters in oz

Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

lizleonard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work for gas fitters in oz

hi thinking about moving to oz but unsure of work available for my husband who is a gas fitter. we're thinking either perth or sydney. any advice on the job front and salary would be appreciated. many thanks.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:13 pm
stokeys (duck)

micknjill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work for gas fitters in oz

Originally Posted by lizleonard
hi thinking about moving to oz but unsure of work available for my husband who is a gas fitter. we're thinking either perth or sydney. any advice on the job front and salary would be appreciated. many thanks.
hi in same boat my self, there seems to be lots and lots of red tape form what i have been reading, let me know how you go on?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by micknjill
hi in same boat my self, there seems to be lots and lots of red tape form what i have been reading, let me know how you go on?
My husband did his TRA as refrigeration and aircon. However he is also corgi gasman here in the uk. It looks like it is easier to get the ref/aircon licences over there than the gas. Although it is his intention to get both licences. Think you have to do some courses when you get there, not sure how long it takes. We will be there in 5 weeks so will know more then.

Where abouts in Stoke are you. We are in Newcastle.

Nicky
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

If you are Corgi registered in UK, gaining your gas license won't be a problem. Presented copies of UK gas qualifications and license followed in the post. If anything, getting my plumbing license is a more drawn out process as have to re-sit 5 modules. This is the situation in Qld, don't know if it will be the same in WA or NSW though.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
If you are Corgi registered in UK, gaining your gas license won't be a problem. Presented copies of UK gas qualifications and license followed in the post. If anything, getting my plumbing license is a more drawn out process as have to re-sit 5 modules. This is the situation in Qld, don't know if it will be the same in WA or NSW though.
Thanks for that info, thats reassuring. How long does it take to get the plumbing licence?

I had heard it was a simple procedure to get the gas in Queensland as they recognise Corgi registration, but I am not sure other states do.

Nicky.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by leechy100
Thanks for that info, thats reassuring. How long does it take to get the plumbing licence?

I had heard it was a simple procedure to get the gas in Queensland as they recognise Corgi registration, but I am not sure other states do.

Nicky.
Hi Nicky, It's a correspondence course so you can work from home, but there is a lecturer at TAFE who you can go to one night a week if you like. Realistically, you're probably looking at a year if you did one night a week and sit a module once every couple of months.

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nicky, It's a correspondence course so you can work from home, but there is a lecturer at TAFE who you can go to one night a week if you like. Realistically, you're probably looking at a year if you did one night a week and sit a module once every couple of months.

Good luck
Cheers for that, I will tell my husband. We are heading for Perth, but just out of interest have you had any problems getting a job with just gas licences. Twelve months seems a long time if you were relying on the plumbing licence to get a job. What do you do in the meantime?

Thanks for your help, Nicky x
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nicky,

Getting a job was no prob, Offered a job at first and second interviews ,if your working towards a licence under an employers licence you can work. You just can't be self employed. you can re-new a provisional licence every year in QLD.

Plumbing is very diffrent here, not as easy as in the uk, we still do roof work, sewer blockages, facia,gutter work and underground drainage.

My wife came on a blockage with me last week at 10pm on call to clear a main drain. She could not belive what a change in job i was now doing(She said you must really wanna live here to do this)

Could chat all night , hope this is helpful.

Why not emigrate to Brisvegas (great place)

Dale
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Cheers for that, I will tell my husband. We are heading for Perth, but just out of interest have you had any problems getting a job with just gas licences. Twelve months seems a long time if you were relying on the plumbing licence to get a job. What do you do in the meantime?

Thanks for your help, Nicky x

Hi
We have been in WA for almost 4 years, hubby was a gas fitter in UK. Plumbing licence is what they seem to be after here. Hubby got offered a job with a gas company after he finished his course, but when the company lost the contract, hubby lost his job, couldn't get in anywhere else. Still keeps his gas licence updated, Just doing pipe fitting on boats!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

lizleonard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abergas
Hi
We have been in WA for almost 4 years, hubby was a gas fitter in UK. Plumbing licence is what they seem to be after here. Hubby got offered a job with a gas company after he finished his course, but when the company lost the contract, hubby lost his job, couldn't get in anywhere else. Still keeps his gas licence updated, Just doing pipe fitting on boats!!
think i am having second thoughts about coming to oz work situation doesn't seem too good. OH is earning good money in the uk. what sort of money do gas fitters/plumbers earn in oz. i know it's all about the life style out there but we have three children so obviously if he can't earn enough money we will have to reconsider. any advice??!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:00 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband did his TRA as refrigeration and aircon. However he is also corgi gasman here in the uk. It looks like it is easier to get the ref/aircon licences over there than the gas. Although it is his intention to get both licences. Think you have to do some courses when you get there, not sure how long it takes. We will be there in 5 weeks so will know more then.

Where abouts in Stoke are you. We are in Newcastle.

Nicky
heh nicky we live in newcastle also my oh did his tra as gasfitter we got our visas in feb and are hoping to go to goldcoast as soon as w3e sell this house. let me know how you get on when you go in 5 weeks time please were worried about time it takes to get licenses etc
lesley
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

In Qld working for someone else would range from $21 - $25 for a new guy to the country . Who is at TAFE learning the ways of the trade.

I found it hard after steady job in uk. 1st job was 2nd fixing new houses in a day, this inc on average, 2-3 toilets, 3-4 basins,2-3 showers, 1-2 Baths/Spa inc pump ,Laundry tub, washing machine taps, Kitchen sink/ garbage disposal, Dishwasher taps, 2-4 Hose taps, Hw unit(build a base), Pressure limitting valve on water main. I started work in nov 05 as summer was begining as with all the work above not alot of time to eat ( lost a stone in 4 months) am now down to 11 stone.

2nd job for a maintenance co digging up sewers , unblocking drains etc. Back breaking work which will retire you way before 65.

Last option really is comercial, which is city work, 5:30 start on site and long days with traffic and travel time.

Dont mean to put anyone off plumbing in oz but its tough. I have 3 friends all pommie plumbers here from all areas of uk and diffrent backgrounds in plumbing . None of them happy.

The hardest thing is having to re-train in a trade you have lost interest in.

Its a good job everything else in oz is fantastic ,which is why a keep my chin up and live for the weeknd.

Any questions you potential plumbers moving to oz wanna ask i can maybe answer .

Good luck to you all

The Ferret has spoken (so the mrs says)
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

sinead is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lizleonard
Hi, my OH came over on gas fitter TRA to Gold Coast he got his license straight away just by showing his certs used for TRA applicationn although he did get work 2 days after landing in Oz jobs for gas fitters alone are not plentiful most companys seem to want plumber/gas fitters and as mentioned in earlier post plumbers license not so easy to come by.

his plan is to gain restricted electrical license and restricted plumber license through TAFE courses around 16-20weeks in order to increase employment options.

Its frusrtating as in his job as a gas engineer in UK plumbing and electrics were part of job!

Not to put you off all is good here he is on $26 p/h and plenty o/t good luck hope this helps any questions feel free to ask!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Qld working for someone else would range from $21 - $25 for a new guy to the country . Who is at TAFE learning the ways of the trade.

I found it hard after steady job in uk. 1st job was 2nd fixing new houses in a day, this inc on average, 2-3 toilets, 3-4 basins,2-3 showers, 1-2 Baths/Spa inc pump ,Laundry tub, washing machine taps, Kitchen sink/ garbage disposal, Dishwasher taps, 2-4 Hose taps, Hw unit(build a base), Pressure limitting valve on water main. I started work in nov 05 as summer was begining as with all the work above not alot of time to eat ( lost a stone in 4 months) am now down to 11 stone.

2nd job for a maintenance co digging up sewers , unblocking drains etc. Back breaking work which will retire you way before 65.

Last option really is comercial, which is city work, 5:30 start on site and long days with traffic and travel time.

Dont mean to put anyone off plumbing in oz but its tough. I have 3 friends all pommie plumbers here from all areas of uk and diffrent backgrounds in plumbing . None of them happy.

The hardest thing is having to re-train in a trade you have lost interest in.

Its a good job everything else in oz is fantastic ,which is why a keep my chin up and live for the weeknd.

Any questions you potential plumbers moving to oz wanna ask i can maybe answer .

Good luck to you all

The Ferret has spoken (so the mrs says)
good to hear other plumbers are in the same boat as me plumbing here is a lot different than the uk but it is a good place to live