Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:33 am
Account Closed

hippymike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

Hi all.

My fiancee and I are temporary residents in Australia on employer-sponsored visas. She is an Indian citizen, and I am a British citizen. We plan to get married in India in January. What are the legal implications here?

Does anybody have any suggestions for us in terms of our legal obligations to our countries? I have just found out that I may need a "Certifcate of No Impediment". Anybody have experience of obtaining these?

I am so confused right now

Matters are complicated further by the fact that I *may* be granted permanent residence here in Australia in September, so will I have Australian implications? My fiancee was not included in my PR application as the intention was that she would apply for PR in her own right in a year or two.

Please help!

Mike
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

If you intend to marry in India, don't you think this would be subject to Indian law?

If you are already in a de-facto relationship with your fiancee, this must be declared to DIAC, as must engagement.

Your fiancee must be included on your application once you are legally married or have at least 12 months cohabitation.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:27 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

Originally Posted by hippymike
Hi all.

My fiancee and I are temporary residents in Australia on employer-sponsored visas. She is an Indian citizen, and I am a British citizen. We plan to get married in India in January. What are the legal implications here?

Mike
You may have a problem if you ever intend to return to the UK. These marraiges are very much looked at as marriages of convenience. Sorry if that sounds sceptical but we have had two friends who have done this and their spouses have got all their family into the UK from India and then said thanks very much and goodbye and also walked off with half of all their possessions in the divorce.

Think very hard my friend. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: British citizen marrying Indian citizen in India. legal implications?

"Certificate of No Impediment"

Apply through your Birth,Death,Marriages
If your Scottish I think its all done from Edinburgh now (used to be local
through the shires) was cheap probably an arm and leg now!!!!
Register of Marriages
Edinburgh

Not sure if you can apply from overseas as it is a form of identity also.