Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are British child car seats ok to use in OZ ?

Are British child car seats ok to use in OZ ?

Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are British child car seats ok to use in OZ ?

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I personally think this is rather foolhardy. If you have an accident it gives the insurance company an excuse not to payout as you have installed none complient equipment in your vehicle. If your child was injured whilst using the UK car seat they certainly wouldn't payout. Is it really worth the risk?
You are missing the point. Why is a car seat, which meets tough safety standards, okay to use on British roads but not Australian ones ? I wouldn't use the UK seat if I didn't think it was safe.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:07 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kips
You are missing the point. Why is a car seat, which meets tough safety standards, okay to use on British roads but not Australian ones ? I wouldn't use the UK seat if I didn't think it was safe.
You are missing the point entirely - you are not in the UK therefore UK standards are not recognised, do not apply.

Why would Australia recognise a UK standard when the testing standards are not the same - they may be better I grant you but they are different!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:33 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

You miss the point entirely! As has been pointed out in this thread AND in every other thread on this subject, if your child is injured in an accident, insurance companies are well within their rights not to payout. Also, there is also the possibility that you may leave yourself open to prosecution if the child dies due to using a non-compliant seat or safey capsule, or if a Police Officer notice that you are using a non complaint anchoring system.

"Under Queensland law, the driver of the vehicle must ensure children under 16 years of age are wearing a correctly fitted child restraint or seatbelt. The penalty for failing to do this is a A$225 fine and three demerit points.

If more than one seatbelt offence occurs within a 12 month period, an additional three demerit points will apply. The additional penalty will apply to driver related offences for seatbelts, and rider related offences for helmets." from the Qld Transport website.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 9th 2008 at 8:35 am.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How clear do I have to make it.
A UK CAR SEAT IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN AUSTRALIA, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MEET AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS

Unfortunately, this may mean that you cannot use a seat whihc in your eyes may be safer. The fact is that use of the seat is illegal. If you are involved in an accident you will be found guilty of using an illegal seat. If you try to claim on your insurance they will not pay because of your use of an illegal seat.

UK standards only apply to the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

We have a $300 Aussie car seat in my husband's newish car for our 5-year-old son. It was bought to replace the rear-facing baby seat we bought in the UK when he was born in 2003. And in my ancient Ford Fairmount we have a cheap Argos car seat my Dad bought when I visited the UK three years ago (to use in his car) and I still use it here. It has been back and forth to the UK twice. It's perfectly safe to use and no police officer has ever pulled me up for not using an Australian standard car seat in the five years I have been here so don't stress. As far as I am concerned if a UK car seat is safe to use in Britain then it's safe to use here as Britain has stringent standards. And anyway in Queensland we discovered - when our son was two - that child car seats are not compulsory in a taxi for toddlers as they are in NSW. In Sydney we couldn't get a taxi once to take us from Circular Quay to Central Station because none had a child's car seat. We assumed the same would apply when we arrived at Sunshine Coast Airport for a holiday and I got stressed about finding a taxi with a car seat to take us to our hotel. I made my husband go and look for a taxi with a car seat only to find out it wasn't necessary as the law is different in laid-back Queensland. Either that or the taxi drivers couldn't give a toss. My son sat in the back of the car with the seat belt practically strangling him. We now hire a car with a request for a car seat if we can't take our own car to a destination.

Just a thought - but maybe the Australian car seats are safer than UK's
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

riechase is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We have just returned from 9 years in Aus and foolishly brought our car seats back to the UK with us. 2 Safe N Sound Maxi Riders (9kg - 26kg). Although Australian standards are higher than the Uk we can not use them here, they are illegal as the do not comply with European/Uk standards.

If any one is heading out to Aus and wants to arrive with two fantastic car seats let me know.

Cheers

Rie
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by storey4
Hi all,

We are finally flying out to OZ on 23rd June!! We have been trying to find out if it is worth taking our 2 child car seats and checking them in with luggage but we can't seem to find any info on whether they are safe to use in OZ.

Has anyone done this and found it easier to just buy new over there?

Thanks
No they are not valid - different system in Oz. They would be illegal.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:11 am
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

Originally Posted by riechase
Hi
We have just returned from 9 years in Aus and foolishly brought our car seats back to the UK with us. 2 Safe N Sound Maxi Riders (9kg - 26kg). Although Australian standards are higher than the Uk we can not use them here, they are illegal as the do not comply with European/Uk standards.

If any one is heading out to Aus and wants to arrive with two fantastic car seats let me know.

Cheers

Rie
I bet there would be a lot of interest depending on what the price of them is. We may be interested. Out of interest why did you return to the UK?
PJMA
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

I guess $150 (AUD) each or about 75pound (I've got an Australian keyboard, I don't have a pound sign :-)

Why did we come back? Big question and very long answer. We often wondered if Aus was the right palce to be, we were very happy but still felt a pull to family and friends. We have had an opportunity to come back on a two year secondment with my partners job. So it is an opportunity for our kids to meet the relatives and for us to reconnect. And what happens when two years is up................... we have a bit of time yet to make our minds up.

I don't belive the UK or Austaralia are better or worse than each other, it is down to what we each make of where we live, but I know we are very lucky to have the choice.

But definitely don't try to take anything that has to connect to anything when you emigrate it's way too complicated!

Cheers

Rie
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:11 am
Ryan

stuntc+%k is an unknown quantity at this point

British seats are a far better standard and cheaper , but it seams you still cant use them in aus
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:20 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stuntc+%k
British seats are a far better standard and cheaper , but it seams you still cant use them in aus
What about boosters? Can our booster seats be used in Oz?
Please don't shout if its been answered b4
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

No they don't meet Australian standards so aren't legal.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:13 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by riechase
No they don't meet Australian standards so aren't legal.
Thanks