Reload this Page >

Brit (27Y F) moving to Sydney alone

Brit (27Y F) moving to Sydney alone

Old Nov 24th 2016, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

jennifer.ej is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Brit (27Y F) moving to Sydney alone

Hi,

As the above title says, I am a Brit currently living in London and contemplating a 2-year secondment to Sydney by myself. I'll be looking to move in October by which time I will be 27 years old.

I work in accountancy at a Big 4 firm so will be transferring over to a large office and should hopefully be able to make friends at work. Just wondering how easy it will be to make friends outside of work and what other experiences people have had? I have a very busy social life in London but don't know anybody at all in Australia so naturally am somewhat apprehensive, but on the other hand I have always wanted to live abroad and know I will regret not making the most of this opportunity while I have no ties!

Apologies for the unoriginal questions, am aware that this is probably raised a lot but am feeling quite anxious and would appreciate any reassurance that this is not a crazy idea

Thanks guys,

Jen
Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit (27Y F) moving to Sydney alone

Originally Posted by jennifer.ej
Hi,

As the above title says, I am a Brit currently living in London and contemplating a 2-year secondment to Sydney by myself. I'll be looking to move in October by which time I will be 27 years old.

I work in accountancy at a Big 4 firm so will be transferring over to a large office and should hopefully be able to make friends at work. Just wondering how easy it will be to make friends outside of work and what other experiences people have had? I have a very busy social life in London but don't know anybody at all in Australia so naturally am somewhat apprehensive, but on the other hand I have always wanted to live abroad and know I will regret not making the most of this opportunity while I have no ties!

Apologies for the unoriginal questions, am aware that this is probably raised a lot but am feeling quite anxious and would appreciate any reassurance that this is not a crazy idea

Thanks guys,

Jen
Not as easy as London as London has more transients coming than Sydney. But London is the best for social.

There will be plenty of other 27 yo's at a big 4 in Sydney who are also transients. You will be fine

Enjoy the move.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You are following in my footsteps! I transferred to Sydney between second tier accountancy firms for a couple of years a long time ago now, when I was 26, although I did bring my then de facto (now husband). To be honest, our social lives revolved around our respective colleagues, nearly all Aussies. They were a great bunch so I didn't feel I missed out at all by not widening my social circle.

Sydney is a great city, you will have a ball.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

matty557 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I'm doing similar actually, going on secondment next year in April from one of the big 4. I think living in a city there won't be a shortage of people to meet and others in the same boat!

Matt
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matty557
Hello,

I'm doing similar actually, going on secondment next year in April from one of the big 4. I think living in a city there won't be a shortage of people to meet and others in the same boat!

Matt
That's great Matt, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Jen, keep your eye on BE after April, I'm sure Matt would be happy to steer you in the right direction if you have any specific questions about life in Sydney.

Best of luck to both of you, exciting times ahead!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matty557
Hello,

Matt
The City? Do you mean the CBD?

No ..... don't live there unless you are a Chinese student with very wealthy parents.

Live in one of the many inner suburbs. Bondi, Balmain, Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Neutral Bay, etc.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks guys,

Jen

I think you will have a great time Jen! We still run a poms drinking team on Thursday nights - we used to update here, but it fell by the wayside when people stopped moving to Sydney - but you're more than welcome to come and join us for some instant friends/drinking partners.

Send me a PM nearer the time for more info if you're interested.

S
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Olivia14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks guys,

Jen

Hey!
Considering making a very similar move myself, curious to know if you made the move and how you got on?!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olivia14
Hey!
Considering making a very similar move myself, curious to know if you made the move and how you got on?!
It's highly unlikely that you will get a reply from her as she only made that one post and has now disappeared into the great void.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's highly unlikely that you will get a reply from her as she only made that one post and has now disappeared into the great void.
Is that how we're describing Sydney these days?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Don63 is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite city in the world. Moved there 2005 from UK, took out citizenship later - left coz it was soooo expensive, and went back again. Now overseas and looking forward to going back .... the place is absorbing with every day a treasure ... Rugby 7's also for Australia Day weekend 2018, what more is wanted ?