Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Translink

Brisbane - Translink

Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane - Translink

In trying to narrow down areas to live I have come across this website which is supposed to tell you commuting times etc.. for trains/buses etc..

Some of the times given seem quite quick for the distance travelled! Can any of you living from Brighton to Shorncliffe or Manly down to Cleveland tell me if the times given are realisitic?

Secondly, do more people drive to work in the CBD than use public transport and if so, is there plenty of parking in the centre?

Thanks

http://jp.transinfo.qld.gov.au/
Old Sep 20th 2004, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Translink

I use the site all the time, and yes it is accurate.
I would say try and use public transport if you can, there are parking spots but its expensive. Some companies provide spaces but you have to pay.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by SEAL
Some of the times given seem quite quick for the distance travelled! Can any of you living from Brighton to Shorncliffe or Manly down to Cleveland tell me if the times given are realisitic?
Cleveland to the City is 50-60 minutes on the train, but it does take a very circuitous route. Cleveland is also the end of the line coming out my way

Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:01 am
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cleveland to the City is 50-60 minutes on the train, but it does take a very circuitous route. Cleveland is also the end of the line coming out my way
so would it be actually quicker to drive to the City in rush hour from say Cleveland and surrounds (on the assumption there was somewhere to park when I got there)?

Thanks

S.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 2:28 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Parking inthe CBD likey to cost about $15/day. I'd avoid owning two cars (assuming you would) just to pay deprectiation, rego, insurance and parking if you don't have to
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
Parking inthe CBD likey to cost about $15/day. I'd avoid owning two cars (assuming you would) just to pay deprectiation, rego, insurance and parking if you don't have to
Early Bird Parking in the Myer Car park (park before 9.30am) is $13.00, and there was plenty of space today at 8.54am when I got there. I left Victoria Point at 8.05. Went past Carindale at 8.25 and passed South Bank at 8.50.

It's the first time I have driven in at near peak time. It took me 35 minutes to get back leaving at 2pm. It is school holidays though, so there may be less traffic. Maybe someone else can comment on that ?

Using the train for commuting may be more relaxing. And parking in Cleveland area is Free.

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

How much would the train cost?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
How much would the train cost?
$35.20 for a weekly ticket from Victoria Point
$32.00 from Cleveland

Fares are shown here http://www.transinfo.com.au/qt/Trans...resZones#Zones

Just one valid TransLink ticket takes you wherever you want to go on participating buses, QR Citytrain and Brisbane City Council (BCC) ferries within the new network, no matter which combination of modes you use to reach your destination. Zones, fares, ticket types and concessions will be standardised across the system.