Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
pmsl.. there are some one sided flaws in his/her recommendations im sure.

I think the rule of thumb is, move to a suburb using the Vowell Formula

Any suburb with only 2 or less vowells, give a miss.

Those with a repetition of one vowell, is good.

Those with odd vowells together is IDEAL !
I know my eyesight isn't the best ...so I had to look twice. I thought it said "using the BOWEL formula"
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:13 am
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

I worked up at Ferny Grove State School for about a week or two a few years ago, I must say I was impressed (especially compared to the place I went).

The area's quite nice, not much there - houses, parks, a bit of bush, lots more houses! A train line direct to the city but the trains are twice an hour max (like most places, but they don't double up in the peak hour) but the people are really nice.

It's quite close to Keperra which has quite a bad crime rate (friend got mugged there by a group of Aboriginals - actually chased them down and got her bag back, but her and her sister got beaten up (her university semester project was in there and she didn't have another copy!), somebody broke into her house a little while ago, a policeman got shot through a door around there a few months ago, etc. etc.) so I'm thinking break-ins would be a problem but it seemed very safe when I was there, and the people are nice.

There's a guy on the Australia main forum who did a reccie in Brisbane and posted up information about Ferny Grove/Ferny Hills, that's quite a good description I think.

There are buses but nothing like the buses to say Toombul or the southside, they're a bit infrequent (1, 2 an hour?). But the houses are huuuuuuge. To me I think it's Sunnybank Hills with less to do, newer houses and less grot all round.

That's just my impression though ^_^ You should go check it out yourself.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:14 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ferny Grove is ok, its proximity to the city mean its kinda exxy !

Plus you does got da WoolShed on ya doorstep, good tennis club too.. bit hilly, but then its Pine Rivers, so well expect it.

Not to close to Keperra, but closer to Samford.

Some say the more expensive side of Samford.

As samford has just sold its first 3.5mill+ property, then the skies the limit in these burbs.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:07 pm
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

pmsl.. there are some one sided flaws in his/her recommendations im sure.
<-- Oh yeah. Off topic, but I'm a girl.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;5667739] its kinda exxy ! QUOTE]

What is Exxy???!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Louiseh86;5668002]
its kinda exxy ! QUOTE]

What is Exxy???!
Expensive
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I thought it might have meant "Ex-Patty!!" like with loads of Brits i.e Place to avoid!!!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Lol! I thought it might have meant "Ex-Patty!!" like with loads of Brits i.e Place to avoid!!!
Nah thatd be Pac Pines n North Lakes.

Oz's answer to Skegness and Bradford
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Plus you does got da WoolShed on ya doorstep, good tennis club too.. bit hilly, but then its Pine Rivers, so well expect it.

Not to close to Keperra, but closer to Samford.

Some say the more expensive side of Samford.

As samford has just sold its first 3.5mill+ property, then the skies the limit in these burbs.
eh? Ferny grove isn't close to the city, its at least 15km away!

and expensive?!! Its got a median house price of about $380k last time I looked...making it one of the cheaper suburbs in Brisbane.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:21 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well those figures must be very out of date. I don't think 380 will get you a pot to piss in now days in Ferny grove.

Edit: Just looked at realestate.com.au and Ferny Grove doesn't seem too bad price wise.

Originally Posted by markallwood

and expensive?!! Its got a median house price of about $380k last time I looked...making it one of the cheaper suburbs in Brisbane.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:38 pm
Banned

PMSL

15k is close to the city m8. Yep you can get some bargains in any area.

WHY THE PHOOK DYA THINK SAMFORDS SO EXPENSIVE?

Ferny Grove has some, well expensive property. We can all quote median house prices till the cows come home.

Sample:
I can buy a place in sunnybank for under 400k.. However Sunybank and stretton, are considered 2 of the most expensive suburbs southside.

Look at Warner , Cashmere, Yugar ? All of which have some great value property, but also you can easily spend over 1 mill without farting. The principle to me anyways of saying a suburb is or can be exxy is the sheer fact a ceiling limit in that area, is high.

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Dec 14th 2007 at 9:50 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I'd second that you cant beat coming and having a look yourself we been here 2 weeks and done almost 1000k in just over a week looking at areas and schools for our 15 yr old who left a good school in uk its so hard to chose when you dont have that local knowledge
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tillysmum
I'd second that you cant beat coming and having a look yourself we been here 2 weeks and done almost 1000k in just over a week looking at areas and schools for our 15 yr old who left a good school in uk its so hard to chose when you dont have that local knowledge
Not so easy at the moment neither as all or most schools are on Summer Holidays !
Old Dec 15th 2007, 2:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

15k is close to the city m8. Yep you can get some bargains in any area.

WHY THE PHOOK DYA THINK SAMFORDS SO EXPENSIVE?

Ferny Grove has some, well expensive property. We can all quote median house prices till the cows come home.

Sample:
I can buy a place in sunnybank for under 400k.. However Sunybank and stretton, are considered 2 of the most expensive suburbs southside.

Look at Warner , Cashmere, Yugar ? All of which have some great value property, but also you can easily spend over 1 mill without farting. The principle to me anyways of saying a suburb is or can be exxy is the sheer fact a ceiling limit in that area, is high.
Well, that's a completely rubbish principle. Clearly you are off your rocker.

A suburb full of slum housing doesn't become "exxy" because of 2 or 3 streets worth of $1m+ houses, creating this "ceiling limit" you are going on about...

You should judge it to be expensive based on the state of the housing in general...not just the top 10% !!! This is where mean & median come into play.

ps - did you make up the word exxy ?!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:25 am
Banned

Well, that's a completely rubbish principle. Clearly you are off your rocker.

A suburb full of slum housing doesn't become "exxy" because of 2 or 3 streets worth of $1m+ houses, creating this "ceiling limit" you are going on about...

You should judge it to be expensive based on the state of the housing in general...not just the top 10% !!! This is where mean & median come into play.

ps - did you make up the word exxy ?!
How very rude

My initial comment was:
LOL.

Pull ya head in mate, were not here to play games with words, or be better than other ppl, myself included. So take a chill pill, and relax, you never know we may have a beer together at a meet, and really hit it off

and a quik scan on realestate.com.au doesnt support median prices you mentioned.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...any&cat=&o=def

and recent sold properties doesnt neither.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1197697002

I suppose the median house prices, that you got figures from, could be out of date.

$349,000 based on 2006

Just to reiterate, the point of the entire thread was best and worst suburbs.

Furthermore, most very expensive ( exxy ) suburbs almost always have some very cheap housing, in neighbouring streets. Its a worldwide phenomenon. That being the case, 4 homes worth 1.5 million sold, and 30 sold at 300,000 would affect an entire suburbs mean home value.
Doesnt make a suburb a "slum", albeit i admit doesnt make it "exxy" but based on whats available right now, you cannot readily purchase homes in this suburb at the median price you mentioned, add 100-150k+ to that figure with ease

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Dec 15th 2007 at 4:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.