Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Manufacturing - North or South

Brisbane Manufacturing - North or South

Old May 28th 2010, 8:43 am
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Brisbane Manufacturing - North or South

Hi All,
We land in Brisbane in November and have short term accomodation sorted South of Brisbane.
My hubby works in manufacturing and we want to house hunt in the area where he has a job. However, he may not have a job before we get our longer term rental, so can anyone tell me the areas where manufacturing is centred so that we can decide on North or South?
Thanks for your help.
KJJ
Old May 28th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Manufacturing - North or South

Originally Posted by kjj
Hi All,
We land in Brisbane in November and have short term accomodation sorted South of Brisbane.
My hubby works in manufacturing and we want to house hunt in the area where he has a job. However, he may not have a job before we get our longer term rental, so can anyone tell me the areas where manufacturing is centred so that we can decide on North or South?
Thanks for your help.
KJJ
Southside areas to look at for manufacturing ....(but not necessarily living accommodation) would be Wacol, Richlands and Acacia Ridge
Old May 28th 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

If it is any help the large concentrations of white you see on this map are industrial zones where manufacturing would normally be located.

Google Map
Old May 29th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road

Hi KJJ,

What type of manufacturing does your husband do? Is he an engineer, fitter, electrician or operator. Plus what type of companies has he worked for?

I am a manufacturing engineer and have been in brisbane for 1 yr. From my experience of looking for jobs here, there isnt a centre of manufacturing just pockets. I think South seems to have the most, Salisbury, Acacia Ridge, Wacol, Ipswich. Unfortunately I wouldnt want to live in these areas but if your husband drives then they are commutable. I live in Bulimba and work in Salisbury and it take me 15-20minutes to drive.

If your husband works in the food manufacturing then there is Arrnots Biscuits in Virginia (North Side), Smiths crisps in Cannon Hill (south side), Coke Cola (i think in Wacol), Schwepps in Ipswich.

If he works in chemical manufacturing then there is Incitec Pivot, the BP Refinery in Murrari (South). Dulux in Rocklea.

If you work in steel manufacturing then there is Onesteel all over the south brisbane ( Rocklea, Murrari, Acia Ridge) and Orrcon in Salisbury.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:18 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

He currently works in food manufacturing, but has previously worked in pharmaceuticals.
He is a degree qualified manufacturing systems engineer working on SAP roll out and standardising preventative maintenance schedules, condition based monitoring, OEE etc. He has also served a mechanical apprenticeship. I will check out the websites of the companies mentioned and now I know to look for the white areas of the map, this should give us some ideas.
Thanks.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:22 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

Did you get your job through an agency / did you hawk your CV around / respond to an advert / or did you know someone. What was the job market like when you arrived, how long did it take you to get sorted with a job, what's the job market like at the moment.

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
Hi KJJ,

What type of manufacturing does your husband do? Is he an engineer, fitter, electrician or operator. Plus what type of companies has he worked for?

I am a manufacturing engineer and have been in brisbane for 1 yr. From my experience of looking for jobs here, there isnt a centre of manufacturing just pockets. I think South seems to have the most, Salisbury, Acacia Ridge, Wacol, Ipswich. Unfortunately I wouldnt want to live in these areas but if your husband drives then they are commutable. I live in Bulimba and work in Salisbury and it take me 15-20minutes to drive.

If your husband works in the food manufacturing then there is Arrnots Biscuits in Virginia (North Side), Smiths crisps in Cannon Hill (south side), Coke Cola (i think in Wacol), Schwepps in Ipswich.

If he works in chemical manufacturing then there is Incitec Pivot, the BP Refinery in Murrari (South). Dulux in Rocklea.

If you work in steel manufacturing then there is Onesteel all over the south brisbane ( Rocklea, Murrari, Acia Ridge) and Orrcon in Salisbury.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road

Hi kJJ,

Your husband mighty find the manufactuing job market in brisbane a bit wierd.
My experience is this. I applied for jobs from the websites when i was in the UK but i never got any replies back. When i was over here i started looking for a job in the middle of july although there was not really much being advertised. (Mainly due to companies wanting to see how the Global crisis was going to play out)

I was offered a contract role with a company in July although turned it down as i wanted something permanent. This was a mistake as unbeknown to me this is quiet usual in industry. You are not employed really as a contractor as we would know it but as just as temp until they find out if you are a good fit for the business. Otherwise i think if they employ you as a temp they only have a month to get rid of you before you are entitled to some settlement.

I then spent 2 months unemployed applying for jobs that perfectly matched my skills and work history but without so much as an interview. Finally i applied for a job and although i didnt get it the agent sent my cv off to one of her contacts in the company i work for now. I am still a contractor (9mnths) but that is due to the company i work for not being able to increases their head count. So they can hide me exisiting to the corporate board by paying me from a different line in the accounts. I have still been looking over that 9 mnths for a permanent job however in that time have only had 3 interviews. 2 of which were not the right company for me and the other wanted someone more senior.

I do find that the hardest thing is that even if you have the exact match to what they are looking for most australian companies want some australian work experience.

A Pharmaceutical company in brisbane - alphapharm in wacol
Other food companies here is heinz (dont know where they are, XXXX brewery in Paddington, Sanitarium (weetbix) in rocklea.

As for agents to send your cv off to personally i wouldnt bother. They never really look at them and it is only when you apply for a job they have adevertised that they look at it. My case in point as i had sent my CV off to this agent before but it was only after i had applied to a job they had advertised did the agent really have a look at my skills and seen that i would match well to this company she know about.

FYI some of the agents i have sent my cv off to are Hays, Ranstad, Buckingham recruitment, Barclay recruitment, Ballantyne, Austcorp, Bond Recruitment, Hudson, Nayler, nizza, dove, Davidson recruitment.

By all means stay in touch especially when you get over here as i might be able to give you some more help
Old May 30th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
He currently works in food manufacturing, but has previously worked in pharmaceuticals.
He is a degree qualified manufacturing systems engineer working on SAP roll out and standardising preventative maintenance schedules, condition based monitoring, OEE etc. He has also served a mechanical apprenticeship. I will check out the websites of the companies mentioned and now I know to look for the white areas of the map, this should give us some ideas.
Thanks.
Everything is made in China!

May want to look at Arnotts, Tip Top and Top Taste...three large bakeries/food product producers in the Brisbane area.
Old May 31st 2010, 3:11 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

Hi Oz Dreaming,
Thanks for the offer to keep in touch. Will PM you when we arrive and let you know how we are getting on.
KJJ
Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
Hi kJJ,

Your husband mighty find the manufactuing job market in brisbane a bit wierd.
My experience is this. I applied for jobs from the websites when i was in the UK but i never got any replies back. When i was over here i started looking for a job in the middle of july although there was not really much being advertised. (Mainly due to companies wanting to see how the Global crisis was going to play out)

I was offered a contract role with a company in July although turned it down as i wanted something permanent. This was a mistake as unbeknown to me this is quiet usual in industry. You are not employed really as a contractor as we would know it but as just as temp until they find out if you are a good fit for the business. Otherwise i think if they employ you as a temp they only have a month to get rid of you before you are entitled to some settlement.

I then spent 2 months unemployed applying for jobs that perfectly matched my skills and work history but without so much as an interview. Finally i applied for a job and although i didnt get it the agent sent my cv off to one of her contacts in the company i work for now. I am still a contractor (9mnths) but that is due to the company i work for not being able to increases their head count. So they can hide me exisiting to the corporate board by paying me from a different line in the accounts. I have still been looking over that 9 mnths for a permanent job however in that time have only had 3 interviews. 2 of which were not the right company for me and the other wanted someone more senior.

I do find that the hardest thing is that even if you have the exact match to what they are looking for most australian companies want some australian work experience.

A Pharmaceutical company in brisbane - alphapharm in wacol
Other food companies here is heinz (dont know where they are, XXXX brewery in Paddington, Sanitarium (weetbix) in rocklea.

As for agents to send your cv off to personally i wouldnt bother. They never really look at them and it is only when you apply for a job they have adevertised that they look at it. My case in point as i had sent my CV off to this agent before but it was only after i had applied to a job they had advertised did the agent really have a look at my skills and seen that i would match well to this company she know about.

FYI some of the agents i have sent my cv off to are Hays, Ranstad, Buckingham recruitment, Barclay recruitment, Ballantyne, Austcorp, Bond Recruitment, Hudson, Nayler, nizza, dove, Davidson recruitment.

By all means stay in touch especially when you get over here as i might be able to give you some more help