Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Expats Meet

Brisbane Expats Meet

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane Expats Meet

Originally Posted by debsy
Thanks Andrew.

I did not realise that Tanah Merah was a real place - I assumed it was a Irish souding name you had chosen for your house or something until I was driving to Brisbane the other day and I saw the signposts.

LOL, its not as Aussie sounding as 'Binna Burra' or 'Millaa Millaa' is it.. not to mention my all time favourite 'Mt Mee'

Okay, am still planning on coming on Saturday with Blokey (and probably the squirt) but I'm running first thing in the morning on the southside, so we might be a bit late

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 6th 2005 at 9:04 am.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:30 am
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone - we landed in Brisbane on 15 Dec - was previously registered as Donnamarie but for some reason we can't log in. we would like to come along on Saturday (Paul, Donna my sister Theresa and 2 children). What time and where is everyone meeting - we are at Forest Lake
Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:51 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
Thanks Andrew.

I did not realise that Tanah Merah was a real place - I assumed it was a Irish souding name you had chosen for your house or something until I was driving to Brisbane the other day and I saw the signposts.
Debsy
Apparently it is Indonesian for Red Earth, or something like that, which describes the red earth all around us! How about that!
You should have popped in for a beer/wine!
See you all on Saturday.

Anyone know what the weather is likely to be?
Hot with hot rain or hot without rain?

Andrew
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
LOL, its not as Aussie sounding as 'Binna Burra' or 'Millaa Millaa' is it.. not to mention my all time favourite 'Mt Mee'

Okay, am still planning on coming on Saturday with Blokey (and probably the squirt) but I'm running first thing in the morning on the southside, so we might be a bit late
If you are running on the southside just head for the coast and we'll see you at Wynnum!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Andrew - just seen the weather forecast for tomorrow; 27C, fine and windy, so hot rain free

Polly - That would be one long run, 23km to be precise. I was planning on doing the Gold Coast Half this year, but that ain't till June!!

Donna - would be great to see you all there, we're meeting on Wynnum Esplanade (see previous post by ABC for directions) at about 11am. BBQ or fish n chip shops!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 3:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lost track of whos coming & who isnt! LOL

TT pmed me & said he cant make it now as hes stuck in Gympie & Scott has headed off to Parkes to shake his groove thang , anyone else who said they are coming, consider yourself added to the list!

We're heading for the foreshore at Wynnum, the area is at the bottom of Charlotte Street on Wynnum Esplanade (UBD Map page 143 Grid ref: K18).
Look for the Pelicans Nest Takeaway & the Fish & Chip Takeaway on the corner of Charlotte St, theres a group of very large Moteton Bay Figs directly opposite there with some BBQs, we'll be in there somewhere. You will see the Wynnum jetty & the huge big playground & the trees are between the toilets & the car park. Look out for a huge group of people with English (+Scottish/Irish/assorted other) accents & hopefully Steve Cook will wear his England shirt & Gary will bring his flag.

Andrews & ABCs directions are both good (both Wynnum Rd exit), although they end up at different ends of the esplanade depending iif you keep following Wynnum Rd or not. Its pretty easy to find, just head east & you will eventually hit the water somewhere along there & then just drive one direction or the other until you see the Pelicans Nest & the wading pool .
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:20 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
PR, I think we had more the first time & close to it the second ... you should have seen us all on the ferries over to Coochimudlo
re size of group! Hope they had their biggest ferries going that day?!

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Everyone with kids - dont forget their swimmers.
... and those without kids get to go skinny-dipping!!

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:31 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andrew63
Apparently it is Indonesian for Red Earth, or something like that, which describes the red earth all around us!
It's actually Malay or 'Bahasa Melayu' (tanah = soil, ground or land, merah = red) but that's one of the languages spoken by Indonesians!

Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

... and those without kids get to go skinny-dipping!!

All I can say is thank god that I have kids!!! :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:31 am
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road

sorry guys we had a late invite from pauls boss so will have to come next time instead. hope you have a great day though
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke has been summoned to work, so i doubt I will be there either unfortunately ( will anyone notice? Probably not )
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:29 am
Dismembered Bat

Unhappy Re: Brisbane Expats Meet

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Bloke has been summoned to work, so i doubt I will be there either unfortunately ( will anyone notice? Probably not )
Sorry to hear that Polly. I do hope it's not my fault entirely. I did originally offer you a lift, I know, but (as per my PM) I have no wheels at the moment and am skint. My apologies for letting you down.

Apologies to MrsDagboy and others too, for not being able to make it. Hope you all have a great day.

PR