Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane 'burbs'

Brisbane 'burbs'

Old Aug 25th 2014, 4:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane 'burbs'

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Best part of the day is early morning when it gets light. Never understood how anyone can sleep later than 6am.
I will never get on early morning time. Bedtime is about 12:30/1am, read and then sleep, up at 7:30 at the earliest. Blackout curtains are a given and I sleep with one finger in the ear so I don't hear the birds at silly o'clock in the morning.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 8:55 am
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
I will be the dissenting voice As polly said it's definitely not like London but after 11 on the weekends there would be dozens of pubs/nightclubs open in the city centre alone (and of course far more in the valley, southbank, west end etc)...this was the case decades ago.

I have lived out in the suburbs and now inner city and the inner city is far better for life though still quiet compared to London of course. Personally that makes it even more important to live inner city as it so quiet when you go into the burbs. As grayling said in the burbs it will be all over after 7pm (except at the big shopping malls and the odd cafe strip) but inner city you can still have queues to get into cafes at 11pm.

Note even some inner suburbs are quiet after 7pm but at least most are not far away from others that aren't.

Your problem may be budget if you don't have much equity in play. Inner Brisbane is a 600,000+ (3bed starter) market with most homes a lot more. Given this you can either try to find a townhouse that takes pets closer in or look for some quiet outer suburb with good connections or rent in the inner city.
Well we are aiming to have kids soon after we arrive so we aren't exactly going to be going out every night! We're not that bothered about the nightlife- we just want it to be warm after dark so we can sit outside at home or go to a restaurant and for there to be other people about. In Shrewsbury for 9 months of the year it's too cold to leave the house in the evenings and those awful orange streetlights make it look so dreary!!

We have friends to put us up when we first get there so can take our time visiting all the burbs and deciding where to settle. May not be able to buy until we get some inheritance one day........
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idreamadream
Well we are aiming to have kids soon after we arrive so we aren't exactly going to be going out every night! We're not that bothered about the nightlife- we just want it to be warm after dark so we can sit outside at home or go to a restaurant and for there to be other people about. In Shrewsbury for 9 months of the year it's too cold to leave the house in the evenings and those awful orange streetlights make it look so dreary!!

We have friends to put us up when we first get there so can take our time visiting all the burbs and deciding where to settle. May not be able to buy until we get some inheritance one day........
Then you won't be disappointed! It is warm in the evenings after dark for most of the year round. Currently 20°C on my patio (just checked) and spring only starts next week.

You get to see beautiful starry skies at night too.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idreamadream
In Shrewsbury for 9 months of the year it's too cold to leave the house in the evenings and those awful orange streetlights make it look so dreary!!
Are you sure?

Please don't exaggerate....it makes you sound a bit silly
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you sure?

Well we live about an hour from Shrewsbury and we certainly dont have 9 months of the year where it is too cold to leave the house. As you say it does make the poster look a bit silly. In actual fact it is never too cold to leave the house at all. In Australia it was too hot 14 months of the year
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:26 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My personal preference suburb wise is the southside, you get better value for money and have great access to places like the Gold Coast Hinterland which is a beautiful area and obviously the coast if beaches are your thing.
One thing to be extremely careful about literally anywhere in SE Queensland is termites, they will quite literally destroy a house before you know it. We werent so bad as I could rebuild walls that were eaten myself but if we had to have a builder do the work it would have been extremely expensive.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you sure?

How could you possibly know whether Shrewsbury is too cold for her or not? So she may not be as tough or robust as you, so give her a break.

It makes you look silly.

Originally Posted by chris955
Well we live about an hour from Shrewsbury and we certainly dont have 9 months of the year where it is too cold to leave the house. As you say it does make the poster look a bit silly. In actual fact it is never too cold to leave the house at all. In Australia it was too hot 14 months of the year
Makes you look silly too.

And just a kind word of warning to both of you, this trolling will stop. Thank you.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:34 am
Banned

How could you possibly know whether Shrewsbury is too cold for her or not? So she may not be as tough or robust as you, so give her a break.

It makes you look silly
Unfortunately if that is the case then the heat and humidity of Brisbane may also cause a similar problem but in reverse dont you think.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Edmonton Canada, now that was too cold to go out. We had -24 and it was so cold it hurt.

I think England has a pretty mild climate, its rarely extreme, as in Canadian cold extreme or Australian Heat extreme. Parts of both get temps that could in realilty kill you.

Britains soggy drizzle days may be a bit annoying but nothing a hot pot of tea and a couple of digestives when you get home wont cure
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Unfortunately if that is the case then the heat and humidity of Brisbane may also cause a similar problem but in reverse dont you think.
Not necessarily. I couldn't cope with the temps in Hertfordshire and was ill because of it for much of winter but have no problems dealing with the temps and humidity here. Granted I've not lived in Shrewsbury or Brisbane but the point is, we're all different and cope differently with certain climates.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

And just a kind word of warning to both of you, this trolling will stop. Thank you.
How was that trolling?

Do you really think that you can't go out in the evening for 9 months of the year.....in Shrewsbury

So what will she make of the inside of Queensland houses in winter?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not necessarily. I couldn't cope with the temps in Hertfordshire and was ill because of it for much of winter but have no problems dealing with the temps and humidity here. Granted I've not lived in Shrewsbury or Brisbane but the point is, we're all different and cope differently with certain climates.
I think you will find that the poster I was replying to was looking to emigrate to Canada a couple of years ago....and is now complaining that Shrewsbury is too cold
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Edmonton Canada, now that was too cold to go out. We had -24 and it was so cold it hurt.

I think England has a pretty mild climate, its rarely extreme, as in Canadian cold extreme or Australian Heat extreme. Parts of both get temps that could in realilty kill you.

Britains soggy drizzle days may be a bit annoying but nothing a hot pot of tea and a couple of digestives when you get home wont cure
Yes that I can certainly understand, Canada has a pretty extreme climate whereas as you say the UK climate is mild, it is why it is referred to as temperate as generally it doesnt see real extremes.
I know people cope with different climates in different ways but even for my wife who does feel the cold she would say maybe 4 months of the year would be uncomfortable.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I actually agree a bit with G and Chris, and I think that British people are inclined to whinge about UK weather - too cold for 9 months does sound a bit 'Little Englander'. Unless there is a medical condition. But I hear old Miss Moneypenny too...

One of the things I am not so sure about now- are UK winters really as bad as people make out? They are not as cold as the ones in Germany....but I know there have been a spate of cold ones. The winters I knew 12-15 years ago were even quite mild.

I also wonder if the summers are not as bad as people make out -sure it ain't 30 every day, like on the continent but you can sit out of a pub from April to September, even if you have to put a jumper on.

You often have to put a jumper on in Melbourne too, in summer, as it cools down fast apart from the hottest days.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

UK weather varies quite a bit so hard to talk about the months you can do anything when talking about the whole of the UK. Slash City is a lot different to Brighton.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 25th 2014 at 10:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.