Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane 'burbs'

Brisbane 'burbs'

Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane 'burbs'

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm a tad confused as some of the places mentioned are not what I'd call suburbs of Brisbane. GC, SC, Redcliffe and Logan are their own areas, aren't they? Damn, do I now live in Brisbane???????
No you don't, but we'd be happy to claim your area

The confusion lies in the fact that Brisbane amalgamated it's smaller council areas into a large council in 1925. Sydney and Melbourne didn't do this. Because of this some think of the Brisbane metro area as just the Brisbane City Council area. This is not true of Brisbane just like it isn't true of Sydney or Melbourne.

All of these cities are made up of many councils when talking about the official metropolitan boundary of the city...ie when counting population and many other things when talking of the city as a whole.

So Sydney, for example, comprises Sydney City Council (170,000 population) + 37 other councils to give Sydney a total population of 4,757,000.

Brisbane comprises, Brisbane City Council (1,041,000 pop) + the councils of Redlands, Logan, Ipswich, Moreton, Scenic Rim to give a total metro population of 2,238,000.

Although right next door the 900,000 of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts are counted separately. From memory they decide who belongs with who by the flow of people for work amongst other things...

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 24th 2014 at 6:16 am.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I wonder how any expat or migrant manages to set up here now...
the last 10 years have seen prices rise so fast that's it a case of yet another rat-race. What price sunshine, lifestyle, a change.

Australian cities can be a very nice life for those who had some luck with circumstance and timing in markets. But the life can also be very hard work.
That makes me worry a lot. We really want to live in the city as we have never experienced city life but it seems we may end up living in the outer suburbs after all if we cant afford anything in the city! Is it any better renting?
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:08 am
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Soozi
When we first moved to Brisbane we lived in a furnished apartment right in the city centre- there are lots of these around (although not many take pets, unfortunately). They do tend to be quite expensive, but give you a good base for exploring the suburbs. Each weekend we would head off in a different direction. I think it's worth taking your time to look around if you can. At the moment there are plenty of rental properties about, so you should be able to give different areas a short trial period if you are willing to rent for a while.

We have decided not to buy, and are now renting in New Farm (an inner-north suburb). I see you are looking to live further out, though. I have friends in The Gap and they are very happy there. It really depend how much time you are willing to spend commuting, and how you like to spend your weekends.

You may well also be able to find a job as an accountant in the suburbs (if you are happy working with a small firm); most suburbs have a commercial centre with shops and various small businesses.

One tip from me:, if you are new to Brisbane, I definitely recommend getting somewhere with air-conditioning to start with - most older houses don't have this. As you acclimatise, you will be able to decide wether you can live without AC.

Best of luck with your adventure. I really like Brisbane, and I'm sure you will too.
Hi, what is New Farm like? I've read good things about it. Do you feel like you live in the city or does it feel like a separate "village"?
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idreamadream
That makes me worry a lot. We really want to live in the city as we have never experienced city life but it seems we may end up living in the outer suburbs after all if we cant afford anything in the city! Is it any better renting?
Generally you can afford to rent a much more desirable place than you can buy.

Hi, what is New Farm like? I've read good things about it. Do you feel like you live in the city or does it feel like a separate "village"?
It depends which bit of New Farm really...but it feels like most other inner Brisbane suburbs. It's definitely one of the priciest however.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

45 Boundary Street South Brisbane Qld 4101 - Apartment for Rent #413614787 - realestate.com.au

Son rents slightly older but overlooking the bridge/river 3 bed for same money. Amazing views when the storms roll in or festivals on the river.

Brisbane is still much cheaper for property than Syd or melb. And those coming from the UK seem to have had spectacular property price increases the last 2 years If you sold in London for eg, you would do pretty well in brisvegas house wise.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
45 Boundary Street South Brisbane Qld 4101 - Apartment for Rent #413614787 - realestate.com.au

Son rents slightly older but overlooking the bridge/river 3 bed for same money. Amazing views when the storms roll in or festivals on the river.

Brisbane is still much cheaper for property than Syd or melb. And those coming from the UK seem to have had spectacular property price increases the last 2 years If you sold in London for eg, you would do pretty well in brisvegas house wise.
That apartment looks very swanky! We would prefer a house as we want to have kids soon.

We have sold our house but haven't made much profit as we live only bought it 10 years ago. Anyone in their 40s or older who bought in the 1990's will make a huge profit on their house in the UK. No one my age or younger will make any money from houses again!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Based on 11 years in Brisbane..... live in an outer suburb that works for you , visit the city on afternoons and weekends, and you'll get the 'city life' . Unless you want the unbridled chaos of the Valley and its nightclubs and fights, the city itself really has not a lot going at night. I spend a lot of time in the CBD after 11pm, usually at weekends, in the bars that show UK football. Outiside of the one (sometimes two) bars there is very little happening, it isn't a 'night life' city like London.
Fortitude Valley as more late night bars and clubs - and more trouble.I work in the next office to the QAS guy who has to organise distribution of ambulances, and he HATES weekend nights in the Valley.
Plan on coming in for afternoons, then spending your nights at home, in the suburbs, thats Brisbane.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Based on 11 years in Brisbane..... live in an outer suburb that works for you , visit the city on afternoons and weekends, and you'll get the 'city life' . Unless you want the unbridled chaos of the Valley and its nightclubs and fights, the city itself really has not a lot going at night. I spend a lot of time in the CBD after 11pm, usually at weekends, in the bars that show UK football. Outiside of the one (sometimes two) bars there is very little happening, it isn't a 'night life' city like London.
Fortitude Valley as more late night bars and clubs - and more trouble.I work in the next office to the QAS guy who has to organise distribution of ambulances, and he HATES weekend nights in the Valley.
Plan on coming in for afternoons, then spending your nights at home, in the suburbs, thats Brisbane.
Thanks, that's a really honest opinion and really helpful. We don't want 'city life' as in going out drinking and clubbing at night, we just want to be living amongst other folk somewhere with a bustling centre with cafes and restaurants where everything doesn't grind to a halt as soon as the sun goes down. We want to raise a family there so want there to be plenty of other people around to meet and talk to and not to feel isolated.

P.S sorry to OP for hijacking your thread!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

we just want to be living amongst other folk somewhere with a bustling centre with cafes and restaurants where everything doesn't grind to a halt as soon as the sun goes down. We want to raise a family there so want there to be plenty of other people around to meet and talk to and not to feel isolated.
This is Queensland......places do close early here.

It is always dark by about 7.0 pm at the latest and many places will close not much later.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Lisalan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's a really honest opinion and really helpful. We don't want 'city life' as in going out drinking and clubbing at night, we just want to be living amongst other folk somewhere with a bustling centre with cafes and restaurants where everything doesn't grind to a halt as soon as the sun goes down. We want to raise a family there so want there to be plenty of other people around to meet and talk to and not to feel isolated.

P.S sorry to OP for hijacking your thread!
Hey, no worries for the hijack! Any info we can find out about Brisbane is a help to us
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisalan
Hey, no worries for the hijack! Any info we can find out about Brisbane is a help to us
I will be the dissenting voice As polly said it's definitely not like London but after 11 on the weekends there would be dozens of pubs/nightclubs open in the city centre alone (and of course far more in the valley, southbank, west end etc)...this was the case decades ago.

I have lived out in the suburbs and now inner city and the inner city is far better for life though still quiet compared to London of course. Personally that makes it even more important to live inner city as it so quiet when you go into the burbs. As grayling said in the burbs it will be all over after 7pm (except at the big shopping malls and the odd cafe strip) but inner city you can still have queues to get into cafes at 11pm.

Note even some inner suburbs are quiet after 7pm but at least most are not far away from others that aren't.

Your problem may be budget if you don't have much equity in play. Inner Brisbane is a 600,000+ (3bed starter) market with most homes a lot more. Given this you can either try to find a townhouse that takes pets closer in or look for some quiet outer suburb with good connections or rent in the inner city.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 24th 2014 at 11:19 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I will be the dissenting voice As polly said it's definitely not like London but after 11 on the weekends there would be dozens of pubs/nightclubs open in the city centre alone (and of course far more in the valley, southbank, west end etc)...this was the case decades ago.

I have lived out in the suburbs and now inner city and the inner city is far better for life though still quiet compared to London of course. Personally that makes it even more important to live inner city as it so quiet when you go into the burbs. As grayling said in the burbs it will be all over after 7pm (except at the big shopping malls and the odd cafe strip) but inner city you can still have queues to get into cafes at 11pm.

Note even some inner suburbs are quiet after 7pm but at least most are not far away from others that aren't.

Your problem may be budget if you don't have much equity in play. Inner Brisbane is a 600,000+ (3bed starter) market with most homes a lot more. Given this you can either try to find a townhouse that takes pets closer in or look for some quiet outer suburb with good connections or rent in the inner city.
Indeed....it possible to rent in somewhere like Toowong/Taringa where it is reasonably lively during the day but quiet at night. It is, however, only a 10 minute bus ride to the city or you could even walk it along the river.

Unfortunately, because of this, these suburbs are very expensive.

Had we not wanted to live nearer the bay we would have stayed in Toowong but then we are a lot older than many new migrants.....and I would not recommend most of Bayside to younger families who may want a bit of nightlife or better facilities.

It really can be like a ghost town round here both day and night. Most people commute to the city during the day and seem to be in bed early every night.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

Most people commute to the city during the day and seem to be in bed early every night.
Yep, Lights out at 8.30 in many adult households is not uncommon.

Getting light, blaring sun, and hot before 5 am in summer annoys me, 4/5am is the middle of the night to me, always will be despite many years in OZ.

As its noisy, light, hot, sunny I am wide awake at 4.30 am in summer, meaning you feel like lunch by 9am. Never got used to it. Melb at least has daylight saving.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Best part of the day is early morning when it gets light. Never understood how anyone can sleep later than 6am.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Best part of the day is early morning when it gets light. Never understood how anyone can sleep later than 6am.
Early morning is lovely, I just dont want it in the middle of the night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.