Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane beaches

Brisbane beaches

Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane beaches

Redcliffe and Mordialliac are similar distance to the respective CBD.

Melb does have 'beaches' ( not surf type ) closer to the city but houses can be a million plus for a dump.

If your really looking for surf beaches, bris has the weekend option of GC and SC, in melb for surf you looking at similar drive and wet suit most of the year.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane beaches

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Redcliffe and Mordialliac are similar distance to the respective CBD.
I don't think you can say Redcliffe and Mordialloc are similar apart from being geographically similar distances from their CBDs. Mordialloc is significantly more commutable than Redcliffe, for instance, in a city where there are significantly more job opportunities for most people. Plus in Melbourne there are many other great sandy beaches to live beside.

But the weather is warmer in winter in Brisbane. As it is in most of Australia. However nice weather does not an emigration make!

BB
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wooah
I did find a useful thread on this a while back but I can't seem to find it any more. I suppose that's what the bookmarks feature is for.

Anyway, I am just narrowing down my search for a suitable suburb/school to move to in Brisbane (commutable to CBD). I want to be near (very short drive) some nice beaches but the general feeling I get is that beaches close to Briusbane are a bit pants. I am not talking about that man/woman-made one in the city but real beaches near the sea.

I don't want to have to travel for hours to get to a decent beach. Do any locals have any thoughts on this? Where would be good to take the family for a quick after-work dip and build sandcastles.

Thanks,
V.

Does it have to be Brisbane? I think Cairns would tick more of your boxes. Reasonably priced houses, walking distance to the beach & an easy 15mins commute to the CBD. Then again there is always those box jelly fish to consider!!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Does it have to be Brisbane? I think Cairns would tick more of your boxes. Reasonably priced houses, walking distance to the beach & an easy 15mins commute to the CBD. Then again there is always those box jelly fish to consider!!
No, there is nothing tying us to Brisbane at all, could be anywhere in Australia. I just thought it would be an easyish place to find a job that wasn't Sydney and had a good climate. I just don't know.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

No, there is nothing tying us to Brisbane at all, could be anywhere in Australia. I just thought it would be an easyish place to find a job that wasn't Sydney and had a good climate. I just don't know.
What line of work are you in?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I did find a useful thread on this a while back but I can't seem to find it any more. I suppose that's what the bookmarks feature is for.

Anyway, I am just narrowing down my search for a suitable suburb/school to move to in Brisbane (commutable to CBD). I want to be near (very short drive) some nice beaches but the general feeling I get is that beaches close to Briusbane are a bit pants. I am not talking about that man/woman-made one in the city but real beaches near the sea.

I don't want to have to travel for hours to get to a decent beach. Do any locals have any thoughts on this? Where would be good to take the family for a quick after-work dip and build sandcastles.

Thanks,
V.
I think Redcliffe (and surrounding beaches) is an option.

At the moment it is a 10 min drive to the train and then a 30 min train trip. A direct train line to Brisbane is now getting federal funding.

I agree your after work dip might be affected by day light savings. You would need to leave work by 5pm to leave yourself time to get home and spend 45 mins at the beach I think.

Though it does have a southbank style foreshore pool, bbq's, swings, cafes, markets etc which I'm sure many use well into the warm summer nights. They have spent a lot of money there in recent years and it is looking good.

Another thing to consider is that Redcliffe would have summer weather "far" in excess of some other capitals like Melbourne. Many, many more months of it.

Maybe you could also consider Perth as they have great surf beaches close to the city and ok weather.

Bigger cities than Brisbane have more jobs but also have more applicants. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
What line of work are you in?
I work in financial markets so no chance of getting a similar job anywhere outside of Sydney. So I will be starting from scratch anyway.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think Redcliffe (and surrounding beaches) is an option.

At the moment it is a 10 min drive to the train and then a 30 min train trip. A direct train line to Brisbane is now getting federal funding.

I agree your after work dip might be affected by day light savings. You would need to leave work by 5pm to leave yourself time to get home and spend 45 mins at the beach I think.

Though it does have a southbank style foreshore pool, bbq's, swings, cafes, markets etc which I'm sure many use well into the warm summer nights. They have spent a lot of money there in recent years and it is looking good.

Another thing to consider is that Redcliffe would have summer weather "far" in excess of some other capitals like Melbourne. Many, many more months of it.

Maybe you could also consider Perth as they have great surf beaches close to the city and ok weather.

Bigger cities than Brisbane have more jobs but also have more applicants. Swings and roundabouts.
I didn't think it would be this difficult. Not keen on Melbourne because of weather and not keen on Perth because of its remoteness. Maybe I am being too fussy but I just want to get it right first time.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane beaches

Not keen on Melbourne because of weather
It's been discussed to death, however Melbourne weather isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Think England plus 10 degrees. The reason it gets a bad press is because the weather is not as warm and sunny in winter as some parts of Australia. But its a million times better than anywhere in the UK.

BB
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's been discussed to death, however Melbourne weather isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Think England plus 10 degrees. The reason it gets a bad press is because the weather is not as warm and sunny in winter as some parts of Australia. But its a million times better than anywhere in the UK.

BB
When I was there it was freezin' but that was probably because I had just come from NT.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Think England plus 10 degrees.
I reckon it's closer to +5, maybe a little more in the depths of winter.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:57 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with Redcliffe ? Great for small kids because you don't get the large waves and rips.
Morton Bay good for boating and water sports because it more sheltered then the open pacific so it depends what you want to do.

Not that keen on beaches myself, too many bad memories of sandy sandwiches and sand up the bum crack when I was a kid

That does not sound good.

This puts a large spanner in the works with regards to where we move. I just thought there would be great beaches nearby. Oh deary me. :-( What now???
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by themerlin
Not that keen on beaches myself, too many bad memories of sandy sandwiches and sand up the bum crack when I was a kid
Thanks I was just in the middle of eating my lunch.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's a big beach isn't it

18 km of beach...
I think you'll find the beach at Surfers is about 1km long unless a massive chunk of the Gold Coast has been renamed and no one told me.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think you'll find the beach at Surfers is about 1km long unless a massive chunk of the Gold Coast has been renamed and no one told me.
I made the mistake of generalising and referring to the entire area as Surfers... oops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.