Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane beaches

Brisbane beaches

Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough
Default Brisbane beaches

I did find a useful thread on this a while back but I can't seem to find it any more. I suppose that's what the bookmarks feature is for.

Anyway, I am just narrowing down my search for a suitable suburb/school to move to in Brisbane (commutable to CBD). I want to be near (very short drive) some nice beaches but the general feeling I get is that beaches close to Briusbane are a bit pants. I am not talking about that man/woman-made one in the city but real beaches near the sea.

I don't want to have to travel for hours to get to a decent beach. Do any locals have any thoughts on this? Where would be good to take the family for a quick after-work dip and build sandcastles.

Thanks,
V.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane beaches

Surf or No surf ?

Redcliffe may be worth looking at, if surf is not required.

Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Surf or No surf ?

Redcliffe may be worth looking at, if surf is not required.
Surf by no means essential.

Thanks for that. Have you been there yourself? I saw a post somewhere which said something like "you can go to Redcliffe if you want, but I won't be".
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Redcliffe and Wellington point are the only decent beaches in Brisbane and they are both very small. The rest are more like mud flats. I reckon the nicest beach within commuting distance of Brisbane is Bribie island and that could take 90 mins. Further down toward the Gold Coast would be better too.

BB
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Redcliffe and Wellington point are the only decent beaches in Brisbane and they are both very small. The rest are more like mud flats. I reckon the nicest beach within commuting distance of Brisbane is Bribie island and that could take 90 mins. Further down toward the Gold Coast would be better too.

BB
That does not sound good.

This puts a large spanner in the works with regards to where we move. I just thought there would be great beaches nearby. Oh deary me. :-( What now???
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wooah
Surf by no means essential.

Thanks for that. Have you been there yourself? I saw a post somewhere which said something like "you can go to Redcliffe if you want, but I won't be".
I have been, and took some photos, you can see them at: Redcliffe Photos

I like that area, and if I didn't prefer where I am, I would consider that as my 2nd choice.

There will always be people who don't like some areas, but as we are all different, and look for different things, only you can know what will really suit you.

This is one of the Redcliffe photos...

Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:03 am
ABCDiamond

That does not sound good.

This puts a large spanner in the works with regards to where we move. I just thought there would be great beaches nearby. Oh deary me. :-( What now???
There are, depending on how far you want to drive.

South of Brisbane, about a 1 hour drive from the CBD, is Surfers at the Gold Coast...

Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

There are, depending on how far you want to drive.

South of Brisbane, about a 1 hour drive from the CBD, is Surfers at the Gold Coast...

http://www.nma.gov.au/shared/librari...Coast_w480.jpg
Went to Surfers on Tuesday.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Went to Surfers on Tuesday.
It's a big beach isn't it

18 km of beach...

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Sep 30th 2010 at 12:10 pm.

Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I did find a useful thread on this a while back but I can't seem to find it any more. I suppose that's what the bookmarks feature is for.

Anyway, I am just narrowing down my search for a suitable suburb/school to move to in Brisbane (commutable to CBD). I want to be near (very short drive) some nice beaches but the general feeling I get is that beaches close to Briusbane are a bit pants. I am not talking about that man/woman-made one in the city but real beaches near the sea.

I don't want to have to travel for hours to get to a decent beach. Do any locals have any thoughts on this? Where would be good to take the family for a quick after-work dip and build sandcastles.

Thanks,
V.
Brisbane is on Moreton Bay, which is much more like a salt water lake than the Pacific Ocean, consequently beaches aren't all that.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's a big beach isn't it

18 km of beach...
Went to Main Beach on North Straddie last Friday with visiting guests. 32km!

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, thanks for the photos. that certainly does look like a nice beach.

I know there are plenty of beaches an hour away. I was just looking for something closer, something I can take the kids to for a splash around after work and before dinner. Something I can't really do here in UK, even though I am only 40 mins from the beach.

Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane beaches

I know there are plenty of beaches an hour away. I was just looking for something closer, something I can take the kids to for a splash around after work and before dinner. Something I can't really do here in UK, even though I am only 40 mins from the beach.

Because of this factor (and others) we chose Melbourne over Brisbane, where we now live within walking distance of the beach and an easy commute from the city. Brisbane's a great city, but it is "the river city" not "the beach city".

In Melbourne it's easy to live within walking distance of a beach and although the winter temperatures are cooler than Brisbane, you can swim in the sea November through to end of April, the rest of the year the beaches are great for kids to make sandcastles and walking the dog etc.

BB
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:45 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
V.

Unfortunately V, there are no suburbs in Brisbane that fit your criteria.

Even if there was a suburb that had great schools, was a 10min walk to the beach and an easy commute to the city, the house prices would put it out of reach for 99% of us.

Good luck !
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to consider is that Queensland in it's eternal wisdom does not have daylight savings - so even the longest days of Summer are dark between 1900 - 1930. So if you chose to live in a suburb near to the beach but with a longer commute, if working in the city, you might not be home in time for that paddle! You could of course go paddling at 5am if you fancy!

Here in Melbourne the beaches close to the city will have people making use of them til 9pm in summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.