Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Old Apr 19th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I'm here Bayside already!

I will add again for all those looking to move over to the redlands area. Be prepared for a shock with regard to house prices. It is becoming one of the sort after areas and as such prices are bumping up. Dreams that I had of having no mortgage when I arrived here have quickly vanished. I think to get a 4 bed highset with a pool, I will end up with a mortage similar to what I had in the UK and my wages will be less. However I am renting at the moment and will not commit to buy until I am happy with the area.

If you are coming to Brisbane generally, don't be detered from looking at other areas. Whilst the redlands area is by the water, this is not beaches, and you will find that to get to a good surf beach is a 40 minute ( on a good run) drive away to the Gold coast. Unless you want to get a ferry over to North Stradbroke island, but then thats a 45 minute crossing ( and A$70). Sunshine coast from Redlands is a good 2 hours ( ABC correct me if I'm wrong.) Brisbane CBD is 45 minutes, although I have never done it during the rush hour, nor do I ever want to, having seen some of the tail backs!!!.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy living here, but it has taken me a while to settle. I had this dream of being no more than 10 minutes from a surf beach, you know, come home from work, drop everything and take the kids down on the beach but I have come to find that is not feasable if you want to live in Brisbane. We could have chosen to live on the sunshine or gold coast but that would have meant driving over an hour plus each way. So instead we have found a happy median.

Just make sure you rent first fror at least 6 months.

Nick :cool
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

hi we have just returned from a validation trip where we were checking out different areas.Like many others we kept getting drawn back to the Redlands(it took me 2 days to work out why it was called that DOH)area and had agreed to rent there when we return in sept.
House and land prices are certainly going up and whilst there we made the decision to buy a plot of land in Redland Bay,so we did ,we also instructed a builder and a new neighbor has designed a house for us.The kids have visited their new school and that was all in 2 weeks!(we had to wait for the solicitor)
Now its OMG mixed with excitment and fear.
Anybody ,advise on whether aircon is needed in redland heights would be good ,also whats Redland Bay state school like.
thanks
donna and co
Oh, and is that pub for real!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane Bayside - who's coming here ?

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
From what I have seen recently the bayside is becoming popular, so:

I'd like to find out who is planning on coming over to my neck of the woods, when they leave the UK, and also who is already here.

For those interested in statistics the Redlands part of the Bayside already has 9,300 UK born residents.
A total of 8.1% of the population.

All being well I hope to be there this summer (UK summer that is ) will be living in Bracken Ridge with my boyfriend.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by donna
hi we have just returned from a validation trip where we were checking out different areas.Like many others we kept getting drawn back to the Redlands(it took me 2 days to work out why it was called that DOH)area and had agreed to rent there when we return in sept.
House and land prices are certainly going up and whilst there we made the decision to buy a plot of land in Redland Bay,so we did ,we also instructed a builder and a new neighbor has designed a house for us.The kids have visited their new school and that was all in 2 weeks!(we had to wait for the solicitor)
Now its OMG mixed with excitment and fear.
Anybody ,advise on whether aircon is needed in redland heights would be good ,also whats Redland Bay state school like.
thanks
donna and co
Oh, and is that pub for real!!!!
Hi Donna

Aircon would be good, and Yes, I would recommend having it, but I was suprised how little we needed it up here.

We moved from Western Sydney, where we had Air Con on 24 hours a day, almost all year, either for cooling or heating.
Up here we are happy with the ceiling fans for 80% of the time. We also had ceiling fans in Sydney.

I've heard that Redland Bay school is OK, one of our neighbours kids goes there. I'll see if I can get an update on it for you

PS: For those that do not know why the Redlands is called Redlands, the soil (land) is Red.

Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:31 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

PS: For those that do not know why the Redlands is called Redlands, the soil (land) is Red.
Its red here, too, in Bellbowrie. Isn't it red all over Brisbane?

Jane
p.s. Bellbowrie means "place of the flowering gums"
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by karen p
Hoping to be out that way first week of July.
The girls had their medicals today and our agent has
all our paperwork, so hopefully I'll be posting a GOT IT
fairly soon (I know its only a Temp 457 visa, but it will
still be a great moment).

Karen
karen

Read girls and temps and had to reply - nothing sinsister I can assure you.

We are in the process of trying to work out the best way to migrate with our youngest daughter ( I suppose she will want to come with us) who is only 16 minths old and boen after the rest of us had our visas.

Need to get in in mid July and am a bit worried about the sponsorship of a child taking too long.

Is there hope with temp 457 or are we back to square 1?

Berian
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Its red here, too, in Bellbowrie. Isn't it red all over Brisbane?

Jane
p.s. Bellbowrie means "place of the flowering gums"
Good point, i'd never looked at other peoples soil before

I'll have to have a look round. Maybe ours is Redder

Old Apr 24th 2004, 3:24 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, i'd never looked at other peoples soil before

I'll have to have a look round. Maybe ours is Redder
Shouldn't it then be Redderland Bay?

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:19 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have seen recently the bayside is becoming popular, so:

I'd like to find out who is planning on coming over to my neck of the woods, when they leave the UK, and also who is already here.

For those interested in statistics the Redlands part of the Bayside already has 9,300 UK born residents.
A total of 8.1% of the population.
Hi ABCD

Somehow I missed this post! Sorry!!

Just for the record we are aiming for your neck of the woods - the plan is to Get the visa, Validate next Easter and turn up for good in June/July 2005.

Graham
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by arnie2oz
Hi ABCD

Somehow I missed this post! Sorry!!

Just for the record we are aiming for your neck of the woods - the plan is to Get the visa, Validate next Easter and turn up for good in June/July 2005.

Graham
Graham
What part of our area are you looking at and have you visited here before ?

Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Berian
karen

Read girls and temps and had to reply - nothing sinsister I can assure you.

We are in the process of trying to work out the best way to migrate with our youngest daughter ( I suppose she will want to come with us) who is only 16 minths old and boen after the rest of us had our visas.

Need to get in in mid July and am a bit worried about the sponsorship of a child taking too long.

Is there hope with temp 457 or are we back to square 1?

Berian
A Temp 457 visa is one where a company has given you
a job and so they're sponsoring us to come out, this can
be done quite quickly (at least the visa part can be),but
obviously you have to find a company that is willing to offer
you a job AND who have been approved to offer jobs to
overseas people.

I don't know if thats any use, but good luck and hopefully
we'll all meet up out there.

All the best Karen
Old Apr 25th 2004, 9:19 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ABCD

At the moment we're particularly interested in the Wynnum/ Manly / Victoria Point Areas.

I know you've been in touch with my wife Nikki (Nikkers) but thought I'd post here for the record!

Regards

Graham
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

An oldish thread, but thought i'd see if anyone else is heading this way?

Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
An oldish thread, but thought i'd see if anyone else is heading this way?
Hi ABC, we booked our flights the other day, we're arriving on the 9th Nov, put us down for your next famous get togethers. Havn't decided yet which of the arrival accommodations to go for, maybe Happy Koala or that other one that i can't remember the name of.

Nigel
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nige37
Hi ABC, we booked our flights the other day, we're arriving on the 9th Nov, put us down for your next famous get togethers. Havn't decided yet which of the arrival accommodations to go for, maybe Happy Koala or that other one that i can't remember the name of.

Nigel
Happy Koala seems to get pretty booked up, so better get in quick if you want that one

We'll have to start thinking about Christmas do's soon and that won't be long after you all arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.