Brisbane

Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:31 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane

[QUOTE=Twinny2014;12052758]We had noticed that the general prices of things like groceries, meals out etc., were all higher than the UK.

I used to always think the same but I'm not quite sure nowadays. Not that long ago the GBP was 2:1 to the AUD, and if I cut all the supermarket prices in half and pretended that the figures represented Pounds then suddenly things didn't seem that expensive.

Then again I will do a comparison next week when I'm back in the UK for a short stay as I haven't been resident there for over a decade and a half...

Originally Posted by Twinny2014
people in the UK with my skills (which are sought after in Australia) are less inclined to make the move
Which sector are you in? It is just Australia that's in particular demand for your services or would the same apply if you were after a move to Singapore for instance?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Twinny2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=astera;12057414]
We had noticed that the general prices of things like groceries, meals out etc., were all higher than the UK.

I used to always think the same but I'm not quite sure nowadays. Not that long ago the GBP was 2:1 to the AUD, and if I cut all the supermarket prices in half and pretended that the figures represented Pounds then suddenly things didn't seem that expensive.

Then again I will do a comparison next week when I'm back in the UK for a short stay as I haven't been resident there for over a decade and a half...

Which sector are you in? It is just Australia that's in particular demand for your services or would the same apply if you were after a move to Singapore for instance?
Singapore pay more too I believe. I work in the insurance sector (I am a Chartered Loss Adjuster).
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Twinny2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Super and annual bonus is not included in the 125 000 quoted, but I did include the car allowance I get in there, plus company mobile phone. All in all, from the other posts I've seen since my initial post, the salary seems fairly attractive.

I've now had my 457 visa approved and have signed contracts sent off etc. Just need to book flights now and arrange shipping now!

Thanks for your advice guys, it is much appreciated.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

Super and annual bonus is not included in the 125 000 quoted, but I did include the car allowance I get in there, plus company mobile phone. All in all, from the other posts I've seen since my initial post, the salary seems fairly attractive.

I've now had my 457 visa approved and have signed contracts sent off etc. Just need to book flights now and arrange shipping now!

Enjoy your experience! you will surely be financially secure!
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that when you buy a property in QLD - there is stamp duty to pay on top of the purchase price. We bought our house a couple of years ago for $660k and had to pay almost $20k in stamp duty. It's a rort.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Bear in mind that when you buy a property in QLD - there is stamp duty to pay on top of the purchase price. We bought our house a couple of years ago for $660k and had to pay almost $20k in stamp duty. It's a rort.

Oh QLD stamp duty now looks a dream

Now mainly in Victoria, stamp duty is crazed, average old shack, needs demolish or renovate, say price 800,000 stamp duty is about 46,000. Yep for those thinking, typo forty six thousand dollars.

Given you could easily pay double that in a decent suburb for a house, its best to know the rates.

For those buying stamp duty calculators are easy to find.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bargain. I'm about to part with about $80k of the stuff in NSW.

In fact its the reason why property prices haven't subsided like in other states. People don't move house any more. They can afford to upgrade to a more expensive house, but can't afford the stamp duty. Therefore there is no stock on the market.

Last edited by Beoz; Nov 3rd 2016 at 8:08 am.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:32 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore pay more too I believe. I work in the insurance sector (I am a Chartered Loss Adjuster).
Oh man, forget Australia then. Singapore all the way.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Oh QLD stamp duty now looks a dream

Now mainly in Victoria, stamp duty is crazed, average old shack, needs demolish or renovate, say price 800,000 stamp duty is about 46,000. Yep for those thinking, typo forty six thousand dollars.

Given you could easily pay double that in a decent suburb for a house, its best to know the rates.

For those buying stamp duty calculators are easy to find.
Originally Posted by Beoz
That's a bargain. I'm about to part with about $80k of the stuff in NSW.

In fact its the reason why property prices haven't subsided like in other states. People don't move house any more. They can afford to upgrade to a more expensive house, but can't afford the stamp duty. Therefore there is no stock on the market.
Indeed, QLD stamp duty is one of the least expensive in Oz.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Indeed, QLD stamp duty is one of the least expensive in Oz.
That's because its cheap. You pay for what you get
Old Nov 7th 2016, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's because its cheap. You pay for what you get
Yep, it is and so am I.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 10:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure you'd be across this already but just in case - you're aware that the 457 is a temporary visa, valid for a maximum of 4 years?