Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

breakdowns etc working holiday visa car

breakdowns etc working holiday visa car

Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default breakdowns etc working holiday visa car

Hi folks was wondering if some of you could give some info i am here on a working holiday visa and i purchased myself a car a few weeks ago, i know most people when on working holidays buy old bangers.

And i could say mine is as back home i probably would not buy something as old, but the car i got did cost about $1900 and its a 1986 model as its old and could possibly have some problems with it to come.

Do you think i would be wise to join racv or would i be wasting my money? I am staying in the geelong area for now but plan sometime to probably go up to queensland and sydney so there will be a few days of traveling etc. not to mention getting around.

As its an old car i wondered would i be wise to start racv and if i did not what would the costs be if i breakdown and need taken to nearest place to fix car etc. i think having the racv would be more wise and cheaper than the other but im not sure.

And as i would be away from people i know over here i probably would be stuck without the assistance of roadside from racv.

Is there many working holiday people used them or just taken the chance, who knows the car might never need or do anything while driving around but your never sure.

I just wondered if anyone did not take them and wished they had or have and thought them usefull.

Let me know as its going through my mind if i should or not and is there other road side services besides racv or are they the only and main one and it would need to be australia wide.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

RACV would be a good idea, especially if you travelling outside the cities. They do offer good recovery, plus approved repairers and that kind of thing. If you are travelling up to QLD or NSW, although RACV don't cover the areas themselves, they have a reciprocal arrangement with RACQ and NRMA (in NSW), so you are still covered. If you are stuck somewhere remote you will find it MUCH cheaper and easier if you can call out RACV. You also get the possibility of car hire if you get stuck, legal help etc.

www.racv.com.au

if you haven't already discovered it.