Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bothered Australian

Bothered Australian

Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:20 am
heraldic

Default Bothered Australian

I am an Australian living in the Uk, and while a love it here, the attitudes to OZ displayed on these pages bother me.
Australia is in my opinion an exciting vibrant country-the greatest threat to Australia is from small-minded English ex-pats trying their best to bring the values of "little-england" to OZ.
Firstly, in order to fit in to Australia,(fair enough) they endlessly bash us all over the head reminding us that Australia is "and always will be" an Anglo-saxon country- thereby not allowing Australians to move on and establish their own identity.
Although they are immigrants they think they have the right to talk of "foreigners" negatively-after all "we are not really foreigners-are we".
They land in Australia and feel exempt from the usual "respect for the locals" act-after all Australia is nothing more than a british colony.
Nothing more than a place english white-trash run to when ex-council housing becomes pricey in crawley or sheffield or whichever dump.
nothing more than a place english trash run to so "their taxes dont get spent on illegal immigrants".
it pains me as an Australian(7th generation) that people come here from England for racist reasons(not to mention the fact that it doesnt entirely make sense).
I like England but have come to the conclusion Australia must move on-England has thrown its lot in with Europe(good idea) and the commonwealth means nothing anymore-too few Aussies quite realise that.
When people compare Australia to Texas, i feel honored, but alas I know thats not true-we are still basically English-unfortunately.
new Australians form England should contribute to Australia moving on-not drag us constantly to our past-with the "little-englander" whining moaning and whingeing one hears on this site.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bothered Australian

Would you like some pizza?
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Oooh yes please!

But no troll meat on mine please!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Took the words out of my mouth! I'll fetch the Stella from the other thread.....
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Bugger, I've just eaten.
Just my luck.

Scotty.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:33 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Bothered Australian

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Took the words out of my mouth! I'll fetch the Stella from the other thread.....
I'll bring the "Trollies"... oooh I mean the "Stollies" LOL
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget - thin crust only; Deep pan is no good for the waistline. Mind you, neither is 20 pints o' Stella for me!

You guys crack me up, he almost had me then - LOL!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Coogee4Me is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually agree with a lot of your points but at the same time I think that Australians have a good bit to do before they can really "move on" from the past. It's very easy for the English to still have a colonial attitude to Australia when the head of state is the British Queen and her head appears on all notes and coins!!! Obviously most Aussies want to keep it that way with the referendum on a republic a few years ago.

Originally Posted by heraldic
I am an Australian living in the Uk, and while a love it here, the attitudes to OZ displayed on these pages bother me.
Australia is in my opinion an exciting vibrant country-the greatest threat to Australia is from small-minded English ex-pats trying their best to bring the values of "little-england" to OZ.
Firstly, in order to fit in to Australia,(fair enough) they endlessly bash us all over the head reminding us that Australia is "and always will be" an Anglo-saxon country- thereby not allowing Australians to move on and establish their own identity.
Although they are immigrants they think they have the right to talk of "foreigners" negatively-after all "we are not really foreigners-are we".
They land in Australia and feel exempt from the usual "respect for the locals" act-after all Australia is nothing more than a british colony.
Nothing more than a place english white-trash run to when ex-council housing becomes pricey in crawley or sheffield or whichever dump.
nothing more than a place english trash run to so "their taxes dont get spent on illegal immigrants".
it pains me as an Australian(7th generation) that people come here from England for racist reasons(not to mention the fact that it doesnt entirely make sense).
I like England but have come to the conclusion Australia must move on-England has thrown its lot in with Europe(good idea) and the commonwealth means nothing anymore-too few Aussies quite realise that.
When people compare Australia to Texas, i feel honored, but alas I know thats not true-we are still basically English-unfortunately.
new Australians form England should contribute to Australia moving on-not drag us constantly to our past-with the "little-englander" whining moaning and whingeing one hears on this site.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:44 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Would that be with chips and mooshy peas? I'm sure there's the odd chip around here!

Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Would that be with chips and mooshy peas? I'm sure there's the odd chip around here!

Yes to the peas!

I've got chips on both shoulders ... I'm well-balanced
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:09 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Yes to the peas!

I've got chips on both shoulders ... I'm well-balanced

That's odd. Your Karma button tells me you have a 'disabled reputation'!

Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ProofReader

That's odd. Your Karma button tells me you have a 'disabled reputation'!

Hehehe, only during hours of darkness
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Bothered Australian

You aren't a British ex-pat[1], so WTF are you doing in here?

[1] You may just qualify as you are clearly an ex-pat, and from a British Colony.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:25 pm
Dismembered Bat

Hehehe, only during hours of darkness

Now I see why ... you've been face-down in the photocopier again, haven't you?! I liked your last avatar better; it was cute!

Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:42 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Largely the grinding sound of changing gears - sans clutch.

Last edited by Quinkana; Dec 17th 2004 at 12:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.