Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Backstory - moved to Perth in 2005, had a baby, found it was all a bit too remote and far from elderly parents so moved back to the UK in 2015. After 10 years of being away we haven't settled well, find the whole atmosphere in the UK quite depressing and have found that we have no more family support here than we had in Perth.

However..... Perth is flaming remote and despite having loads of really great friends there, it was tough staying in work. The economy is not well diversified and the breadth of opportunities in IT are just not there. To thrive you need to be in mining and the mining industry needs to be thriving, which it simply isn't.

So all that being said, we are planning on returning to Aus when our daughter finishes primary school in 2 years or so.

Melbourne or Sydney, pros and cons....GO!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Backstory - moved to Perth in 2005, had a baby, found it was all a bit too remote and far from elderly parents so moved back to the UK in 2015. After 10 years of being away we haven't settled well, find the whole atmosphere in the UK quite depressing and have found that we have no more family support here than we had in Perth.

However..... Perth is flaming remote and despite having loads of really great friends there, it was tough staying in work. The economy is not well diversified and the breadth of opportunities in IT are just not there. To thrive you need to be in mining and the mining industry needs to be thriving, which it simply isn't.

So all that being said, we are planning on returning to Aus when our daughter finishes primary school in 2 years or so.

Melbourne or Sydney, pros and cons....GO!
I think that a week’s visit to both should indicate which has a better lifestyle. If I recall correctly, for the last 7 years, Melbourne has been voted by The Economist as being the best city in the world to live in and Sydney was number 11. After spending a week in Melbourne, I can see why.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If the beach or water life doesn't do it for you Melbourne is pleasant enough, if it does then Sydney.

In my opinion, there's no point living in Australia without access to water for swimming, boating, surfing, and just general living.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Throwing a curve ball but Brissie is really developing nicely. The climate is more tropical but lovely in the winter, unlike Melbourne. Still more affordable housing too.
I visited recently for a week and was surprised how much I liked it. Small enough to be very liveable and walkable to many areas and big enough to be vibrant with a growing economy.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:33 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
In my opinion, there's no point living in Australia without access to water for swimming, boating, surfing, and just general living.
True, plus I'd add a good climate, which is why I have crossed off both Sydney and Melbourne from my list.

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Throwing a curve ball but Brissie is really developing nicely. The climate is more tropical but lovely in the winter, unlike Melbourne. Still more affordable housing too.
I visited recently for a week and was surprised how much I liked it. Small enough to be very liveable and walkable to many areas and big enough to be vibrant with a growing economy.
Ditto that. Of all the so-called big cities I would choose Brisbane. Of course the Gold Coast has the king-of-all-climates (less than 100km south of Brissy but the difference is discernible) but of course job-wise the big city is more of a target.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good points about Brisbane but I suspect I would find some of the same challenges work wise as Perth- very mining dependent and a lack of the breadth of industry to support a strong IT sector. We found that thousands of IT contractors moved from Bris to Perth when the state govt killed all projects during the financial crisis.

We have spent time in both Melbourne and Sydney so have a fair idea of what to expect but I would be interested to hear how people have found the vibe in each city when they first moved there.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Good points about Brisbane but I suspect I would find some of the same challenges work wise as Perth- very mining dependent and a lack of the breadth of industry to support a strong IT sector. We found that thousands of IT contractors moved from Bris to Perth when the state govt killed all projects during the financial crisis.

We have spent time in both Melbourne and Sydney so have a fair idea of what to expect but I would be interested to hear how people have found the vibe in each city when they first moved there.
When it comes to Brisbane there's one question that should always be asked. "Tell me one good thing about Brisbane?". There's generally no answer to that question and if there is, its of lesser quality than what you will find in Sydney and Melbourne. It does have the best stadium in Australia in Suncorp Stadium.

You are best to focus your efforts on Sydney and Melbourne.

Just on Sydney, I am noticing a rapid change in the dynamics and vibe right now. The city is changing. Due to massive amounts of infrastructure investment areas that were once considered no go areas are now springing to life. Its quite a transformation. And with that infrastructure boom comes jobs.

Cost wise Sydney has more expensive housing than Melbourne but everything else is the same if not cheaper. But that is generally reflected in the higher salaries in Sydney. 5 Million wouldn't live there if they couldn't afford it. You pay for what you get.

In my opinion if you want the best of everything, head to Sydney, if you are happy with no 2, go Melbourne. Melbourne is certainly a nice place and its the only other place I would live in Australia if I had to move from Sydney.

Last edited by Beoz; Nov 17th 2017 at 9:54 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go where you get the best job offer. Not much to choose between them really, both expensive, both Australian.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Go where you get the best job offer. Not much to choose between them really, both expensive, both Australian.
I pretty much agree with this. 10-15 years ago I would have chosen Sydney but would go with Melbourne now.

If the job offers are the same - flip a coin.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is a large Australian city, Sydney is a large international city.

I find Melbourne too parochial, it's best attributes are events, bars, restaurants and it's still reasonably priced. Otherwise it's a dreary, ugly place.

Sydney on the other hand is one of the most geographically blessed cities on earth. And personally I think that seeing hills and the harbour, beaches etc is good for the soul. Downsides are that it's undeniably expensive, nightlife potentially not as good, restaurants better than Melbourne, cafes not as good.

Sydney's ease of access to some of the worlds best coastline, plus other places like the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley etc make it a very attractive place to live too.

IT jobs would be Sydney, then Melbourne. Much harder in Brisbane and Perth - again Brisbane jobs can be mining driven.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Melbourne is a large Australian city, Sydney is a large international city.
Originally Posted by carcajou
I pretty much agree with this. 10-15 years ago I would have chosen Sydney but would go with Melbourne now.
I think this is the point. 15-20 years ago Sydney was the preeminent Australian city (it was never a global city). However mismanagement, lack of investment, and massively overpriced real estate has taken most of the shine off the place - something that the lockout laws really put the coup de gras on.

Melbourne and Sydney are now much more equally balanced. Sydney looks prettier (for the tourists) but Melbourne is the better place to live. You can see that balance in international air transport - where the arrivals are about the same between the two cities.

What that practically means is there's likely to be more growth in Melbourne going forward (meaning jobs is likely to look better).

And in the end, that's probably the point - follow the best job offer.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I think this is the point. 15-20 years ago Sydney was the preeminent Australian city (it was never a global city). However mismanagement, lack of investment, and massively overpriced real estate has taken most of the shine off the place - something that the lockout laws really put the coup de gras on.

Melbourne and Sydney are now much more equally balanced. Sydney looks prettier (for the tourists) but Melbourne is the better place to live. You can see that balance in international air transport - where the arrivals are about the same between the two cities.
Bit the thing is all those problems exist in Melbourne too, it's just lagging. Around 15+ years ago Melbourne was brilliant, it really was the most liveable city, by far. But basically since the Kennett government leadership has been lacking, infrastructure is a decade behind the population growth, any development has been short-sighted and poorly designed (Docklands)

My view is you get 90% of the problems of Sydney, but without the nice location. And if you like beaches and the ocean it's a no brainer.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

However mismanagement, lack of investment,
Yes Bob Carr, Christina Kenneally and Co. Talk about resting on your laurels.

Thankfully since then things have changed and things are soooo much better, and still on the improve.

and massively overpriced real estate has taken most of the shine off the place
I wonder if the shine was taken of London, New York and Hong Kong with their property prices.

Demand must be high. I guess location means you pay for what you get. (Awaiting the 6 bedroom McMansion picture somewhere near Werribee)

Something that the lockout laws really put the coup de gras on.
The square mile lock out law area is for tourists and bogans. Do keep up.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sr71
Sydney on the other hand is one of the most geographically blessed cities on earth.
Thats a good way of putting it. Vancouver is another but unfortunately gets a truck load of rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.