Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boomeranging - how to choose between Melbourne and Sydney

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Oh it's definitely all relative. Although as evets suggests, a lot of housing stock here is not built for the cold. Possibly better if you live in a house and/or self-build but my modern apartment in Sydney has single glazing (and 3/4 rooms have full glass walls and patio doors) and no built-in heating.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a discussion on the weather (so British at times!), but the OP asked for pros and cons and this is definitely a factor for me.
But if weather is a real factor, then you have to look at a lot more things. Just because a place has more sun on paper doesn't mean your body will get more sun. To actually enjoy this so called better weather (as I always say:-), you have to look at working hours and how long you actually spend in traffic. Then you have to look at the type of properties available, because a person with a pool and garden that gets the sun in Melbourne might be far better off than the person in townhouse/apartment in Sydney.
A garden also might be more attractive than a busy beach etc.

And even on a rainy day you can still go swimming, as you will get wet anyway, so it really is relative.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But if weather is a real factor, then you have to look at a lot more things. Just because a place has more sun on paper doesn't mean your body will get more sun. To actually enjoy this so called better weather (as I always say:-), you have to look at working hours and how long you actually spend in traffic. Then you have to look at the type of properties available, because a person with a pool and garden that gets the sun in Melbourne might be far better off than the person in townhouse/apartment in Sydney.
A garden also might be more attractive than a busy beach etc.

And even on a rainy day you can still go swimming, as you will get wet anyway, so it really is relative.
Blimey we are getting deep and specific here. None of this is relevant to me, though might be to the OP.

(I guess I'm really lucky as I don't spend much time in traffic - I live 400m from a train station that is one train stop or 5 minutes from Central, which is 120m from my office.)
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm really lucky as I don't spend much time in traffic - I live 400m from a train station that is one train stop or 5 minutes from Central, which is 120m from my office.
The new pool in Green Sq looks a beauty.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/vision/green-square/city-of-sydney-developments/gunyama-park-aquatic-and-recreation-centre

Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Should be pretty good when done. And close to everything.

Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The new pool in Green Sq looks a beauty.

Gunyama Park Aquatic and Recreation Centre - City of Sydney

We have a lovely pool in our complex. I've never been in it - we moved here in June 2010. When I say pools, sunbathing, beaches, etc., are irrelevant to me I really mean it. I can't swim

eta: This area is finally taking off, Beoz. We love it.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey we are getting deep and specific here. None of this is relevant to me, though might be to the OP.

(I guess I'm really lucky as I don't spend much time in traffic - I live 400m from a train station that is one train stop or 5 minutes from Central, which is 120m from my office.)
I suppose it's like buying a vacuum cleaner. It's not only the suction power and even if it's good on hard floors, doesn't mean it will be as good on carpets.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have a lovely pool in our complex. I've never been in it - we moved here in June 2010. When I say pools, sunbathing, beaches, etc., are irrelevant to me I really mean it. I can't swim

eta: This area is finally taking off, Beoz. We love it.
My neighbour has a pool. I have never seen them in it. The beach is 10 mins away so what's the point in having one. I certainly will not be building one. A hot tub and bar maybe.

I moved not too far away about 6 months back with one eye on the future of the area.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My neighbour has a pool. I have never seen them in it. The beach is 10 mins away so what's the point in having one. I certainly will not be building one. A hot tub and bar maybe.

I moved not too far away about 6 months back with one eye on the future of the area.
Some people live near the beach and actually aren't bothered about it and prefer a pool. But isn't that the same with everything? Many people pay for a fitness studio but the same people don't use the stairs at work and use the lift instead. And some people just have a pool, hot tub because they have the money and space.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some people live near the beach and actually aren't bothered about it and prefer a pool. But isn't that the same with everything? Many people pay for a fitness studio but the same people don't use the stairs at work and use the lift instead. And some people just have a pool, hot tub because they have the money and space.
Fair synopsis. Mrs Beoz would prefer a pool. I have a Swiss mate that grew up in a ski town and doesn't ski. It drives me nuts.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:06 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to Brisbane there's one question that should always be asked. "Tell me one good thing about Brisbane?". There's generally no answer to that question and if there is, its of lesser quality than what you will find in Sydney and Melbourne. It does have the best stadium in Australia in Suncorp Stadium.
You need to travel a bit more.

Sydney is synonymous with boredom (well, as long as we forget Canberra is out there...) and it's mainly good as a sightseeing stop on the cruise calendar for tourists. Ship comes in, dumps thousands of people out in Circular Quay, they have the Opera House and bridge right there, and several hours later they all disembark and head out.

The climate is below average (though not as bad as Melbourne) and there is little special about it apart from the picturesque harbour. The suburbs are a bore, life is rather dull, there are some nice beaches there but when you've lived in QLD it's rather tough to start glorifying them.

I have lived in Sydney and still have family there in Cronulla, regarded as a rather nice place to be. But it's boring as heck and unless I was tied down by my job there is no way I would choose to live there over the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

On the plus side the airport is centrally-located and Sydney is Australia's international city (I'd bet that >80% of people in the world think it's the capitol city in fact). The botanic gardens are nice too. But what's lacking downtown is a great place like Brisbane's South Bank which is fantastic for adults, kids, both daytime and nighttime, and even as a place to live in. Heck, you could even walk to work from there.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera

Sydney is synonymous with boredom (well, as long as we forget Canberra is out there...) and it's mainly good as a sightseeing stop on the cruise calendar for tourists. Ship comes in, dumps thousands of people out in Circular Quay, they have the Opera House and bridge right there, and several hours later they all disembark and head out.

The climate is below average (though not as bad as Melbourne) and there is little special about it apart from the picturesque harbour. The suburbs are a bore, life is rather dull, there are some nice beaches there but when you've lived in QLD it's rather tough to start glorifying them.

I have lived in Sydney and still have family there in Cronulla, regarded as a rather nice place to be. But it's boring as heck and unless I was tied down by my job there is no way I would choose to live there over the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

On the plus side the airport is centrally-located and Sydney is Australia's international city (I'd bet that >80% of people in the world think it's the capitol city in fact). The botanic gardens are nice too. But what's lacking downtown is a great place like Brisbane's South Bank which is fantastic for adults, kids, both daytime and nighttime, and even as a place to live in. Heck, you could even walk to work from there.
Brisbane is the bottom of the pile. Get over it.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But what do you mean by life rather dull? Isn't that the case in any city and most of the attractions of a city are for tourists and get boring. Things like a swimming pool or a park aren't really attractions either. It's just to make people feel like they have nature, which you would have outside a city anyway.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brisbane is the bottom of the pile. Get over it.
Actually one thing about Brisbane that has been mentioned here before (especially when it comes to weather:-) is that if you have normal office working hours, you hardly have any daylight after work. That alone makes Melbourne way better.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 21st 2017 at 2:56 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra isnt boring! Where did you get that idea? I'd rather Canberra over Sydney any day of the week.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually one thing about Brisbane that has been mentioned here before (especially when it comes to weather:-) is that if you have normal office working hours, you hardly have any daylight after work. That alone makes Melbourne way better.
Well when you have no beach, and its stinking hot and humid outside, might as well be at work, or in the pub. But you can do that anywhere.

I am really not sure why people try this thing on with Brisbane. It just lends itself to be hammered every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.