Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bondi Junction : is commutable?

Bondi Junction : is commutable?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bondi Junction : is commutable?

Hi

Could anyone give advice about nice commutable (car or public transport) suburbs to working in Bondi Junction?

Don't mind up to 45 mins on a bus . . . won't have a huge amount to spend on rent.

Basically looking for a leafy nice but not extortinate suburb to rent a detached/semi-detached, 2 bedroom, medium size garden. Not tower block/hirise - ground level . . .

Could any locals give advice on where they would consider?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bondi Junction : is commutable?

I'm originally from Sydney - if you want a detached house with a garden and you're on a budget I'd head south. Maybe somewhere like Kingsford or even Maroubra (on the beach - nice ocean baths). Maybe even further south like Sans Souci or Brighton-Le-Sands. Unfortunately the Eastern Suburbs are very pricey so your best bet would be south IMO.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
I'm originally from Sydney - if you want a detached house with a garden and you're on a budget I'd head south. Maybe somewhere like Kingsford or even Maroubra (on the beach - nice ocean baths). Maybe even further south like Sans Souci or Brighton-Le-Sands. Unfortunately the Eastern Suburbs are very pricey so your best bet would be south IMO.
Thanks Gelato... and roughly the commuting time? Ocean baths sound lovely! Hadn't heard of the suburbs you mentioned will check it out. Thanks.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Bondi Junction is at the end of the Illawarra rail line so you could feasibly live anywhere on that line (from around say Sutherland and points north) and still get there within 45 minutes.

Sutherland and vicinity is known as 'the Shire'. Quite respectable but quite a long way from the city. Close to beaches. Rents would be much cheaper down that way compared to the Eastern suburbs.

However, I'd agree with gelato in that the southern Eastern suburbs would be nicer, though you will pay a lot more rent. There are lots of small houses and semis in the Randwick/Clovelly/Maroubra/Kingsford area. The eastern suburbs have a bit more life, loads of beaches, cafes, restaurants, better shopping, closer to the city etc.

If I were you, I'd look at the Randwick area. If the rents are too expensive, then check out Sutherland way. Avoid anywhere on that rail line from Hurstville to the city - nothing wrong with a lot of those suburbs, but they don't have much to recommend them.